Munthe developed problems with his eyes, and Villa San Michele actually became too light for him. He moved to a tower on his property and let his guests stay at the main house. In 1934, the house was opened to the public. The entrance fee was 5 lira, and it went towards helping the poor of the island. Towards the end of WWII, he was the last foreigner still on the island, except for German troops... He left in 1943, never to return again. He died in Stockholm in 1949. But in 1946, he had made it official, that "Villa San Michele" would be given to the Swedish Government, for the Swedish Institute in Rome to use.
"Lots of Shots no2" by Lynn Grieveson
"Artistry de Sol" by Katie Pertiet