Thread: I need your decor thoughts!

babyroo7 Guest

I need your decor thoughts!

Hi Ladies!
    I want to start decorating my house, now that I have lived here for 3 years, and I would love your help! I am going to start with my small laundry room which is 6ft by 6ft. The tile is a basic cream and there are 3 cabinets. I want to base my color scheme off of DD digi paper. The only thing I know for sure is that I am going to print three 12x12 digi papers & place them on cork board to hang right above the washer/dryer. So my question for you is, what colors/digi kit would you use? I am not afraid of color. This room is closed off to the rest of the house so I don't need to wory about it flowing with the rest of the house. I have thought of something crazy as an orange wall and something as basic as brown. Please let me know what color scheme you would do if you could pick anything! TIA!

PS I would post a photo of my current laundry room, but it's a mess and I want you all to still be my friends!

What about Kellie's cute Laundry Day set? Pick one of the cheery colors like the orange to make it a cheerful room to look at while doing the chore of laundry.

Quote Originally Posted by hguenthe View Post
    What about Kellie's cute Laundry Day set? Pick one of the cheery colors like the orange to make it a cheerful room to look at while doing the chore of laundry.

What a cute idea, Heather!

Laundry Day papers, what a great idea!

I also thought of Simple Botanicals, which would look good on either a more neutral wall or a wall with a bold color.

I am a fan of Restoration Hardware's paint colors, so whenever I get around to doing my laundry room, I would probably do a shade along the lines of sycamore green or latte. Do you have a window in your laundry room? That would be a deciding factor for me as far as how vibrant of a paint color I put on my walls. And Orange isn't a crazy choice, as long as it is the right shade of orange!

Best of luck with your decorating project! Once you get started it's hard to stop! I used to sell furniture, and I make my DH nuts because I subscribe to the theory that a house is never done. I can't wait to see what other suggestions you get, and what your finished room will look like!

Joey, I've been choosing colors for clients for years and it's still not easy. The biggest mistake I find is that people choose a much too saturated color on the paint chip, buy the paint, and when it is on the wall it really screams at them. If you like a color, go up a step or two on the chip and use that.Lighting makes a difference, too. Whatever color you choose I'd recommend buying a quart and trying it out before purchasing the gallon or two you need for the room. Benjamin Moore has little samples you can buy to take home.

Have fun! Color is a wonderful way of expressing yourself. BTW, I love Kellie's
    Laundry Room Papers.
    My Gallery

My Gear: Canon 50D, Canon EF 50mm 1.4, Canon EF 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS, Tamron 28-300mm IF
    My Software: PSE 7, Noiseware Professional, Lightroom 1.4

I LOVE cheekymonkey's idea! Those Simple Botanicals papers of Katie's deserve to be on a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by deanie View Post
    If you like a color, go up a step or two on the chip and use that.Lighting makes a difference, too. Whatever color you choose I'd recommend buying a quart and trying it out before purchasing the gallon or two you need for the room.
    This has been my experience. Great advice!!

what an awesome idea Joey. Keen to see the end results! I love Heather's idea for using Kellie's Laundry pk

babyroo7 Guest
    Oh you all are so full of cool ideas and great info! Deanie, you are full of wisdom! I will for sure do a sample and let it set for a few days! Thank you!

I love the very pale blue in both of those paper packs that Christine & Heather mentioned. (Thanks, Ladies!). My laundry room doesn't have window so I am thinking a pale blue might keep things light and airy. I have ALWAYS been a huge fan of brown & blue. What do you think about these beautiful papers:

You all are such HUGE helps! I would love to hear any more ideas/wisdom too!
    Thanks, ladies!

Nothing wrong with those! Great choice Joey - can't wait to see what you come up with Keep us posted!

I'm a big fan of brown and blue, too! Those papers are lovely, and if you like the florals in them, Katie has a set of brushes that coordinate...

I am totally hooked on these brushes, and now I might just have to pick up that paper pack as well! I love these threads, because I always discover papers and kits I might not have noticed on my own... of course that just means more in my wishlist for the next sale!

Can't wait to see your finished room! Happy Decorating!