Thread: wall-e

1. wall-e

So, today I took a little break from the crazy life and took my son, two nieces, a nephew, and my mother to see WALL-E.

I know it's just my opinion, and based on the A+ Yahoo! reviews I keep seeing, maybe I'm just weird . . . but none of us liked it. NONE of us. The kids are 5, 5, 7, and 10. And my mom & I are a bit older . . . . . . but seriously. Snoozeville.

The philosophical aspects (YES, there are THOSE in this cartoon) were completely over the kids' heads. There is not a single bit of dialogue for the first half of the movie, and the lack of dialogue actually made it scarier for Jack. Nobody was explaining why things were happening. He got pretty upset in some of the scenes where WALL-E's well-being was in jeopardy. Now, he's easily upset at intense movies, so don't think this is common, but the other three kids, while not upset, were CLEARLY not entertained. When we got out of the theater, they unanimously declared that Kung-Fu Panda was much better.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I just wanted to let you know before you spent a big chunk of change at the theater this weekend.

I could have purchased TWO of the GOOD Pixar movies on DVD for the cost of taking the kids to the theater for this one. LOL
    Cassie

My Gear: Nikon D300s w/18-200mm VR & 50mm 1.4
    Software: Adobe Photoshop CS4, PSE 10, Lightroom 2

Oh Cassie - So sorry! It's not good when a movie that is supposed to entertain the kids, scare the kids! Thanks for the head's up. Was maybe going to take my 3-year-old since he loved "Cars" so much, but now I know not to even try it. We went to see "Over the Hedge" at the free daytime Summer movie deal at the theatre last Summer to beat the heat, and let's just say the bear in that movie basically scared him to pieces, and the dark didn't help. He's a bit young, but Wall-E will now not be one to consider when we reintroduce theatre movies!
    Rhonda
    Software: Adobe Photoshop CS2
    Nikon D40x 18-55mm/55-200mm

Rhonda - I took my 4yo twin girls to see 'Horton hears a Who' and they didn't like it one bit! Way too scary!!??
    Donna

My Gallery

NIKON D600, 24-70mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, Macro 105mm 2.8, 28-300mm & FUJIFILM X-E1
    PSE 10, LR 4
    iMac & MBPro / Mavericks

Cassie, thanks for the review! I think we'll wait for the DVD, as usual, though every so often I think, Gee, it might be nice to actually go to a theater!
    Laura in CT

My Gear: Canon 40D; 15-85mm, 55-250mm, & 50mm f/1.8; PSE6 & Aperture 3.
    My Blog: Honeypot Rambles
    My DD Gallery

Thanks for the heads up Cassie, Im dissapointed! I was really looking foraward to another GOOD kids movie. Bummer. We'll wait for the DVD!!!
    Bailey

My Gallery

My Blog

Software/stuff: PS CS3, Lightroom 2, Wacom Intuos3
    Camera: Nikon D300s & backup d40x, 55-200 4.5vr, 50mm 1.4G

Getting my husband to go the movies is like pulling teeth. Thanks for the heads up. As soon as we see a bad movie he won't go with me agian for years. I will definitly wait as there are sooooo many good movies out there. I can't WAIT to see "Kit Kittridge". It looks so good! ( I will be going with my sisters of course)
    Michele
    Captures
    Sunlight Sketches: A 365 Project

My Gear: Nikon D60 w/ 18-55 VR lens & 55-200 VR lens
    My Software: Photoshop CS4, Lightroom,

I'll be your Roeper, okay Cassie? My whole family really enjoyed it. Kids are 11, 9, and 5. It was very different -- especially because there wasn't much dialogue. In fact, my husband and older kids marveled that a whole story could be told (between Wall-e and Eve) without much being said. The animation was awesome and we felt it sent a great message. Thumbs up from our side of the beach

BTW, we loved Kung Fu Panda, too!

My Gallery
    My Camera: Nikon D40; Nikkor 18-55; Nikkor 70-300 VR,
    My Computer/Software: Mac/Photoshop CS3

Too funny...now I'm torn. I still think I'll wait for DVD as I have no kids. The animantion looked amazing. It was really the only reason why I wanted to go see it (because I do 3D rendering with Autocad and appriciate the effort). Thanks for the different perspective!
    Michele
    Captures
    Sunlight Sketches: A 365 Project

My Gear: Nikon D60 w/ 18-55 VR lens & 55-200 VR lens
    My Software: Photoshop CS4, Lightroom,

9. How weird. This was reviewed twice in our local paper this week and both reviewers raved saying it was the best Pixar movie since "Finding Nemo." Thanks for the kids opinions, because I would be taking my 9 and 8 year old.
    Jill

DD Gallery

Software: Photoshop Elements 6
    Camera: Canon Rebel XT
    Lenses: 50 mm 1.8, 18-55 mm, 75-300

10. Quote Originally Posted by jingreenbay View Post
    How weird. This was reviewed twice in our local paper this week and both reviewers raved saying it was the best Pixar movie since "Finding Nemo." Thanks for the kids opinions, because I would be taking my 9 and 8 year old.
    Yep. Every "serious" reviewer loved it. That's why I figure I'm just weird. LOL

And . . . the animation WAS fantastic.
    Cassie

Still gonna wait for the DVD...but I am looking forward to seeing it now, and getting the opinion of a 3 year old (whom Im guessing, with little dialogue, probably wont sit thru it anyway) Thanks for the flipped coin!
    Bailey

My Gallery

My Blog

Software/stuff: PS CS3, Lightroom 2, Wacom Intuos3
    Camera: Nikon D300s & backup d40x, 55-200 4.5vr, 50mm 1.4G

we saw it friday night and loved it! Owen (who is 2.5) sat with rapt attention through the whole thing and even seemed to follow the story. His reactions to the end scenes were just priceless!

I thought the animation was wonderful and it was amazing that so much could be said with so few words. DH and Owen are going back to see it again this afternoon. Owen has been begging to see the "Wall-e show" again.

We almost never agree with the reviewers, so I'm not terribly surprised to hear someone say honestly that they didn't love it. I told DH he could take DD to this one since I really wasn't too anxious to see it, and it's his "turn" to take her since DS can't sit through movies yet.
    Jodi
    LOVES it here!

Camera: Canon 60d
    Software: Adobe Photoshop CS3

14. My brother just called and said he took his 7, 9, and 10 year old. The two older kids enjoyed it and the younger one was a bit disinterested. He didn't "hate" it, but he did say it was a disappointment and not up to the standards of "Monsters, Inc.," "Toy Story," and the like.
    Cassie

Cassie,
    I saw the trailer when I was at another film, and it just left me cold. I usually like children's books and movies, but I had no interest. DH and DS (adult) decided to go see it base on the good reviews, and DS hated it and DH thought it was boring.
    --Lynn

16. I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one. I came out thinking, "man, I wish we had gone to Kung Fu Panda"! Payton was mediocre about it - but I know she didn't love it because she didn't come out saying "I want that for my birthday" like she does after every single movie we see. It was ok, but definitely not a big screen worthy picture. I wish we had waited for it to come out on DVD. I had really high expectations so maybe that is part of the problem. And yeah, the social message was WAY over her head.
    Heidi

My Gallery

Heidi Knight Photography
    Camera: Nikon D800
    Lenses: 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 17-35 f/2.8, 28-300, 24-70mm f/2.8
    Extras: Speedlight SB-700, Alien Bee 800
    Software: Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4

17. My husband took Kelly (9) and Conor (8) and one of Kelly's friends to the movie on Sunday.
    All the kids said they really liked it. I told them I heard it was kind of boring and they disagreed. We actually had an interesting talk in the car as a result of the movie. The kids talked about all the people being fat because they just sat in their chairs and ate badly.
    Jill

DD Gallery

Software: Photoshop Elements 6
    Camera: Canon Rebel XT
    Lenses: 50 mm 1.8, 18-55 mm, 75-300

I went with my son both of us adults. He thought it was alright and I thought it was not all that good. It is not as good as the other pixar movies at all.

Barb

19. My son (9) went to see it with my daughter and her boyfriend. They said it was slow getting started, and it was okay. My son says he liked it but he cannot tell me anything about the movie - favorite character, favorite part, plot, etc. Hmmm...

20. so we took the plunge and did a double movie at the drive in saturday with all 4 kids, lets just say the lightening bugs in the field
    held their attention more than wall-e did, my son (8) did keep up with it but it didnt hold his attention, he didnt really like the whole thing too much -but the second movie was kungfu panda and like we expected the 3 little ones were fast asleep before it started and my son (again the 8 yr old) liked it - shocked that we let him see it he was glued out the window!! atleast it made up for the first one.
    shhbabymine (sarah)
    canon rebel xti
    PSE5
    my gallery

I thought it was really cute. My kiddos 6 and 4 LOVED it! In fact they were pretending to be Wall-e and Eva as soon as we hit the pavement in the parking lot.

My six year old son walked out and said "boy mom, I don't ever want to be fat and lazy". My husband and I couldn't stop giggling.

I don't think it was Finding Nemo or Monsters Inc. but we went on a Saturday morning and the prices are cheaper... worth it to us!

I do have to say Kung Foo Panda WAY BETTER. My kids laughed the entire movie.

My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3

Instagram

we saw it on opening weekend. jake had been waiting for months. he is totally enamored by the character, and loved it. he sobbed as if his heart would break when wall e was hurt. i think he loved the movie because he so identified with the robot, and loves the science of it. but the story line is a bit intense for the little ones.

23. Quote Originally Posted by mnc0114 View Post
    we saw it on opening weekend. jake had been waiting for months. he is totally enamored by the character, and loved it. he sobbed as if his heart would break when wall e was hurt. i think he loved the movie because he so identified with the robot, and loves the science of it. but the story line is a bit intense for the little ones.
    I'm telling you . . . our boys were separated at birth.
    Cassie

24. I took my three boys and my nephew, ages 5,5,4 and 2. It didn't hold my 2 year old's interest but that's par for the course. My 5 year olds loved it, they're already asking to buy the DVD. And my nephew had seen it the day before and still wanted to join us. So as far as the kids were concerned, it was a hit. I thought the animation was fantastic but the movie was very slow. Of course, that could have been b/c I spent the majority of the time trying to entertain my 2 year old!