Thread: Cruises from Florida?

Cruises from Florida?

Hey everyone!....this October my DH & I are planning to go on a cruise for the 1st time ever and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on which cruise line we should go through or what destinations are better than others?
    Thanks!
    Heidi

My Gallery
    Camera: Canon Rebel XSi
    Software: Photoshop Elements 5 & Lightroom 2.2

I have always wanted to go on a cruise Heidi! I have no recommendations, but I have heard that Jamacia and Caribbian (excuse the spelling) are wonderful vacations!

Enjoy!!
    ~Mary

Camera - Canon 40D

Software - PSE 7.0, Lightroom

Just Us - Family Blog

Hi there Heidi

My dh and I have cruised quite a lot and we LOVE it. ! It really is an all in holiday ! and so much to do.

we went to the Caribbean in 2004 on the Queen Mary ( NYC to the caribbean) I love St thomas ( our last stop and VERY cheap prices on camera equipment !) and tax free.

The QM is gorgeous but quite formal. I would love to go on one of the Royal Caribbean cruises for great fun ! Some of them have ice rinks and climbing walls and loads

In terms of tours off the shi you can book your own or go with the ship staff. It is easier to simply book witht he staff cos you get transfers all in and it is so much easier.

the inside cabins are really just as good... we had a balcony on the QM which was amazing BUT it was not worth the price difference.

The island hopping excursions are fanatastic cos you get to see a lot of diff places for the day and travel at night. A long trip at sea is almost no point.

Email me if you would like any more info !

Hello Heidi! Being a Floridian we have been on a few cruises...for us it is the cheapest way to vacation (no flights needed and they are all inclusive)
    I would NOT recommend Norwegian cruise line. The last cruise we went on with them I got the "cruise crud" onboard illness, that was caused FROM THEIR SHIP. Both DH and I were quarantined to our room for 24 hours (of our 3 day cruise) and they did NOTHING to compensate us for this loss. They would have made money by giving us another cruise or even a credit towards another cruise. But they refused to do anything.
    I would recommend Royal Carribean nicest ships for the best prices. SHOP AROUND! Dont order from the cruise line unless you have to. Carnival isnt bad either but their ships are a little older and not a "kid" friendly as Royal Carribean (if your planning on bringing little ones) From Florida you can go to Mexico, Key west, jamaica, virgin islands, bahamas, and any combination of these depending on where you leave from Tampa, Miami, port canaveral, or Ft Lauderdale. September October and November are cheapest (except Thanksgiving) and the weather is still nice in Sept and Oct. Its especially nice because it cools off the evening and isnt as Muggy all day. Still gets in 80's during the day. Mind you it is still hurricane season but thats just the risk....I'd say late sept and Oct is not as likely of a hurricane. We've been on one when a trop. storm was out in the ocean and they never even told us on ship, we found out when we got home. We've also been on when where we got delayed about 10 hours from leaving due to a storm at sea. They wont sail if its dangerous and they always have a plan so its safe!! I wouldnt let that deter you. OK sorry so long winded........hope that helps a little
    Bailey

My Gallery

My Blog

Software/stuff: PS CS3, Lightroom 2, Wacom Intuos3
    Camera: Nikon D300s & backup d40x, 55-200 4.5vr, 50mm 1.4G

Quote Originally Posted by sam ellis View Post
    I love St thomas ( our last stop and VERY cheap prices on camera equipment !) and tax free.
    Good to know Sam!!! I just told DH this is a must for our next one!!! I need some equipment!!!!
    Bailey

My Gallery

My Blog

Software/stuff: PS CS3, Lightroom 2, Wacom Intuos3
    Camera: Nikon D300s & backup d40x, 55-200 4.5vr, 50mm 1.4G

Disclaimer: a lot of generalizations here based on our experiences.. your experiences may not be anything like these

Like Bailey, would not recommend Norweigan! We did a panama canal cruise with them and the staff was tired and rude. They were coming off of a 5 days at sea from Hawaii and at the end of their contracts so didn't care about anything and were just rude. Also, the typical passenger age range seemed to be late 50s-70s and have a feeling of superiority over anyone else. Ex) people in powered wheelchairs would bump you out of their way if they felt like it or would stand right in front of you blocking your view not caring that you had been there first and waiting for a long time.

Holland America - would HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend them. They were amazing. Extremely polite and mannered while still being approachable and friendly. We did 3 back to back cruises on Holland America for our honeymoon and the staff was outstanding. By far, the best cruise line we have been on for staff politeness, service and staff to passenger ratio. They are not huge ships so don't have all the amenties like Royal Caribbean will have but also only have 1500-2000 passengers not 4000+ passengers which is a HUGE bonus when it comes to disembarking for the island stops. Average age range would say was in the 30s-50s and not overly "entitled" passengers. Mannered, polite adults with some families but not overrun with children.

Princess Cruise - very nice as well. High 2nd to Holland America. Not quite the high level of manners and politeness of Holland America but very close. Have never been disappointed with a Princess cruise.

Carnival Cruise - party ship. Drinking and kids are in high concentration. Not our thing but definitely some people's.

As for islands - love St. Maarten/St. Martin (half Dutch/half French island) - the Dutch side is cleaner than the French but both are beautiful and great beaches and shopping. St. Thomas is a great shopping place. Grand Cayman island is great snorkling and a lot of neat side trips to do. Jamaica - Dunn River falls is nice but very packed with tourists. The Rafting down the Martha Brae is very relaxing and beautiful (rafting on a bamboo raft). I also have loved all of the private islands that most of the cruise lines have in the Bahamas. They will often have a day stop which is a big beach and bbq party. San Juan and Costa Rica have some of the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen and has a lot of great cultural places to see and photograph. I have found that most cruise itineraries will only include about 1 island stop which isn't great and that is usually only on the longer cruises as that is their stop to pick up supplies so more of necessity than for the passengers enjoyment.

Thanks so much for the info! I'm so glad to hear the good and the bad! Dan (my DH) definitely has a low tolerance for rudeness, as I learned on our all inclusive trip to Cuba a few years back..lol. I'm so exciting to book this trip now....going to look at some websites and see whats available
    Heidi

My Gallery
    Camera: Canon Rebel XSi
    Software: Photoshop Elements 5 & Lightroom 2.2

8. I'd like to second what Heather said about Holland America line. I'm glad to hear they still have a good reputation. It was back in the 80's when we went, so not a recent experience. We just felt so pampered by the staff and the food was fantastic. I think we boarded the ship in Fort Lauderdale and went 2 days and a night to San Juan, arriving in the morning. From then on it was a different island every day with gorgeous beaches. The islands I remember were St. Thomas, St. Johns, Martinique, Virgin Gorda, Nassau; all beautiful.
    Merrilee

I love Macs
    Adobe Creative Cloud:
    CS and Lightroom 5
    Bamboo Pen & Touch
    Sony A57

9. come to Bermuda!!!

10. Heidi,

If it's not too late, I'd also recommend the Disney Cruise line. They are definitely NOT rude and do several different cruise packages. Don't know if you are going with your children or not, but either way it would be a fabulous experience. They have PLENTY of adult activities from which to chose, and loads of things for kids to do ... even without their parents! They leave out of Port Canaveral.
    Tracy

Software PS CS6
    Platform Mac (Naturally)
    Camera Canon 60D

If you want something very intimate, romantic and totally different from the big cruise ships, you might check into Wind Star Cruises. Usually only a couple hundred people on board with about as many staff. We went on a corporate event, so don't know age of passengers normally. They take you into islands and coves not accessible with regular cruise ships. Loved St. Thomas, St. Martin...Have fun choosing!
    My Gallery

My Gear: Canon 50D, Canon EF 50mm 1.4, Canon EF 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS, Tamron 28-300mm IF
    My Software: PSE 7, Noiseware Professional, Lightroom 1.4

dunno if this is yours or DH thing but at st martin my dh did a race on the americas cup yachts. you get put on one or other country's yachts and actually race. Everyone gets a job and he LOVED it !

13. I prefer Royal Carribean. Although, I have not been on the Holland America line.