Thread: What is your process?

What is your process?

Wondering if you have a step-by-step process that you turn to each time you create a LO? Background, elements, frames, etc., etc., from the bottom up? Or, do you have another tried and true method? Trying to streamline the approach here. Would appreciate hearing your suggestions.

Wow, I'm sure you're going to get a billion different responses here!

Since I'm a convert from paper scrapping, I kind of work from the bottom up.

I decide first which pictures I'm going to do.
    Then I look around websites, in my favorites, and such, and find a page to scraplift. (I always use someone else's pages for inspiration. Sometimes I lift them, sometimes they're just a starting point.)
    Then I choose my background and accent papers, lay my photos down, decide on frames/outlining/shadows.
    Elements go on last, then journaling.

I'm anxious to see what everyone else does!
    Sarah
    Equipment: Canon T2i (550D) with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses
    Software: Windows 8, PSE 10 (Editor), PSE 6 (Organizer), and PSCS 4

3. I always start with my pictures UNLESS a new product is just crying out to be played with & then I might just let it dictate my direction.

I start with pictures, paper, journaling & then elements - at least for the general rule.

4. I have absolutely NO rhyme or reason to my scrapping. Sometimes it's the pictures, sometimes it's the product, sometimes it's from some inspiration piece I see out in the world.

My process is:

Open the software
    Create a blank page
    Start.

One fun thing to do . . .

Go through your stash and just find some papers and elements that you love. Find about 10-15 things (I know it sounds like a lot). Put them ALL on a blank page, add a photo you love, and just START.

This is a page I created that way. I had NO plan. Just a bunch of fun stuff on my page to manipulate.

Cassie

My Gear: Nikon D300s w/18-200mm VR & 50mm 1.4
    Software: Adobe Photoshop CS4, PSE 10, Lightroom 2

I usually start with a photo or photos and go from there. I'm not very organized--I think I am going to work on that. I love Sarah's (dugarner) systematic approach and I am going to write down her suggestions and try to be more organized. Maybe I could finish a page quicker that way.

Cassie, I am going to try your 10-15 things suggestion. That sounds FUN!
    Janet
    software: CS3

My Gallery

I don't have a system. I open the blank doc sometimes with no idea of anything I am going to put on it. Sometimes I get an idea around a photo, sometimes I just get an idea and add stuff to build the page and then pick a photo to go with it. Even if I start at the bottom and work my way up, as I play with the page to get the look I want I sometimes go back and add new stuff under previous layers.

My software: PSE10 on my beloved pc
    My gear: Canon t3; fujifilm finepix Z20

Well my system is...: if I have a pictures of a trip to make a scrapBOOK...
    1. I fix the ones I am going to use for album (book)
    2. I look at pics and figure out how many pages that book going to have (example: pics taken at different places... hotel, beach, dinner, show... etc.) that could take anywhere from 1 to 7 photos per page...
    3. In the PS Bridge I have made folder "Workflow" it changes according to the album I am working on...
    4. I make first double page ( Beach-1-L, and Beach-1-R) L-left, R-right...
    5. I drag the chosen photos accordingly to the pages... LOOK AT THEM...!!!
    6. In the Bridge "keyword" pulls all PAPER... my start with paper that I like or that will go with those pictures... drag it in the "Workflow" folder...
    7. So on... "keyword" MASKS, ELEMENTS, BRUSHES... etc... everything I like or I might use goes to "Workflow"... AND then all I have to look is in ONE place... "Workflow" and that is much easier... than go thru folder by folder of ALL the stuff that I have...
    8. After I've finished on that particular book "Workflow" folder gets emptied until I start working on the next album...
    AND THAT IS MY WORKING PROCESS...
    Hope it helps somebody... I like it...!

"Cherish forever what makes you unique, because you're really a yawn if it goes."
    -Bette Midler-

A process....well actually mine does usually start with a photo. Then create a blank document and goes from there. I am really funny and have a hard time doing a photo without a frame, so that usually comes next. But after that it's playing with it till i like it!

I'm going to try Cassie's idea-sure would be fun to take a diverse bunch of stuff and put it together.

Was fun thinking about this. For a book, usually chronological and my pages that touch have to coordinate.
    My Gallery

My Gear: Canon 50D, Canon EF 50mm 1.4, Canon EF 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS, Tamron 28-300mm IF
    My Software: PSE 7, Noiseware Professional, Lightroom 1.4

I'm an organizational junkie as you may notice...

I start with photos. I start by organizing the photos. I make folders of layouts I want to do. I label each folder with the topic or story - like "Vernazza hike" or "passport quote". Then, I search through my photos and put the appropriate one in the folder. Sometimes, I work the reverse and go through my folders and figure out topics or stories to go with them and make a folder for it.

When I ready to really scrap, I open a folder and figure out how I want to place the photos. Very often I will just go through my large file of templates and find a template that works for the number of photos/orientation that I have for that topic. It doesn't have to be exact and that's part of the beauty of being able to re-use templates! I work the template (or my own design) until I've got the photos placed the way I want them placed.

The, I move on to papers, finding something that works with the photo colors and/or the mood of the topic. I start with white paper and end up leaving it that way 70% of the time. It just works for me.

Then, I add journaling. Placement, amount and style all depend on the topic and layout mood.

Then, I create a balanced layout with embellishment. Embellishments are last for me probably because of my graphic style. It's usually a touch here and there. And here is where I fiddle and fiddle with things. Often I think its too plain but I'm never pleased when I pour on the embellishments. Eventually, I agree to finish it.

Whatever style works for you, take a hold of it. It's all good!
    Denise Gormish
    Mom of Jackie (18) Jenny (15) and my English Cocker Spaniel 3-year-old Radiance Grand Prix RL1 AKC TD ASCA TD, i.e. Cody

My English Cocker Spaniels in my heart forever:
    Auld Sod Red Magic Merlin CGC CD OA OAJ OAC NJC (Merlin)
    Elan's Surprise Surprise CGC NA NAJ (Arthur)

I love Cassie's idea, will definitely try that!

I don't have much of a process, I tend to open a new document, then flick through my photos till I find one I like. Paper tends to be put in next, then everything else, guess I came from paper too.

Other times I buy something lovely from the store and put it in first, then search for a photo that'll work with it.

I'm definitely not a chronological scrapper, I'm just trying to capture stories and moments for the future, not fussed about pages co-ordinating in albums either, so that gives me freedom each time.
    Chrissy x

My software: PSE 12 for Mac, run on my Macbook Pro!, yay!
    My camera: Canon EOS 600D or still my trusty IXUS 950IS ( though it clunks a lot opening its shutter), or more likely my iPhone 4S

My blog

I am a lot like Cassie I guess. No rhyme and reason fits me well.

To me scrapping is based on MOOD. Not that I am a particularly moody person (I am sure my dh would disagree) - but emotional, yes.

So, when I *need* to scrap, it starts with any of the below:

a. an idea I have
    b. a sketch I have made
    c. a photo
    d. an emotion I need to convey (usually for my artjournaling pages)
    e. a story I want to tell
    f. scraplift or challenge

Based on this, I open PS, open a blank page and go from there....

Like Cassie said : no rhyme or reason to my madness.
    * Aino *

My gallery

: Nikon D4S & Nikon Df with various lenses.
    : Lightroom and PSCS6

If I'm doing a book I follow a very similar process to Tatiana - except I don't have bridge. What I do is
    * organize my pics into pages so that I have the right number of pages to make a book
    * make a collage of photos and upload to kuler.adobe.com to choose a color scheme
    * hunt through papers, embellishments and templates to choose ones that might work with my book (I tag them using ACDSee)
    * make a master page with a selection of favorite papers, stitching, brushes and the fonts to use.
    If I'm doing an individual page, the inspiration can be a template, photo, scraplift, challenge, whatever. No particular process there!
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

13. my "process" would not be helpful to anyone. if you can imagine a teenager's hideously messy room...that's the inside of my head. i have no idea where any creativity i might have comes from. i have not studied and have limited talent in art and design. i was a hopeless paper scrapper, and any page that comes out well is a surprise to me! one thing i am consistent about, is that when The Muse flies the coop, i always turn to other scrappers' pages to jump start the process. something as small as the placement of a tag can give me the shove i need to begin again.
    Whatnext

my gallery

14. Process? Surely you must be kidding!! I can't even decide what my style is let alone how I start! LOL I guess I just grab pics first and then let it happen. Sometimes what I end with is nothing like I started for! Unlike paper scrapping...that is no biggy now!!!

I think sometimes it takes longer to clear out the paper and embellis that I didn't use from my layers pallet than it did to do the entire LO!!!

I guess I am a Just Let it Happen person!

I have days when the creative juices is not there - then I put together Los with photos that shall be on a page - then I fit them on a page or in a template.

Then save it in my not done folder - there I have also undergrouped folders like different albums I work on.

So when the creativity is there I can open a psd file and work on it, and then often I can get several LOs done in one night.

Quote Originally Posted by Aino View Post
    I am a lot like Cassie I guess. No rhyme and reason fits me well.

To me scrapping is based on MOOD. Not that I am a particularly moody person (I am sure my dh would disagree) - but emotional, yes.

So, when I *need* to scrap, it starts with any of the below:

a. an idea I have
    b. a sketch I have made
    c. a photo
    d. an emotion I need to convey (usually for my artjournaling pages)
    e. a story I want to tell
    f. scraplift or challenge

Based on this, I open PS, open a blank page and go from there....

Like Cassie said : no rhyme or reason to my madness.
    I'm a bit like this, except leave out D altogether (always wishing to start one & jotting down ideas for when I have time, but never having time).

Good Stuff! So many new things to try! Thank you all for sharing!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Denise Gormish View Post
    I'm an organizational junkie as you may notice...

I start with photos. I start by organizing the photos. I make folders of layouts I want to do. I label each folder with the topic or story - like "Vernazza hike" or "passport quote". Then, I search through my photos and put the appropriate one in the folder. Sometimes, I work the reverse and go through my folders and figure out topics or stories to go with them and make a folder for it.

When I ready to really scrap, I open a folder and figure out how I want to place the photos. Very often I will just go through my large file of templates and find a template that works for the number of photos/orientation that I have for that topic. It doesn't have to be exact and that's part of the beauty of being able to re-use templates! I work the template (or my own design) until I've got the photos placed the way I want them placed.

The, I move on to papers, finding something that works with the photo colors and/or the mood of the topic. I start with white paper and end up leaving it that way 70% of the time. It just works for me.

Then, I add journaling. Placement, amount and style all depend on the topic and layout mood.

Then, I create a balanced layout with embellishment. Embellishments are last for me probably because of my graphic style. It's usually a touch here and there. And here is where I fiddle and fiddle with things. Often I think its too plain but I'm never pleased when I pour on the embellishments. Eventually, I agree to finish it.

Whatever style works for you, take a hold of it. It's all good!
    Love how you do it! Maybe you should teach a how to stay organized workshop! I get so distracted, especially when i find new kits that i want to start on!!!
    I may be just a shopping addict!

This has been so helpful to me! I love organizing ideas and how people apply them. I have just started using Bridge (I had it and didn't even know what it was) and wondered how to best keep a list of what products I was using. Normally I am flying around my folders so much, I get to the end and have to backtrack. With a WorkFlow folder, I can just copy everything and have it there. Do not know why I didn't think of it! Plus, having a plan seems to be more efficient, and I definately haven't done that!

I have no set in stone process at ALL!

Sometimes it starts with photos or a certain product or a page concept. But I know I am done when I start putting stuff on then taking it off.

I usually start with a photo and a layout idea.

Tara
    My Gallery

My NEW Blog
    My Gear: Apple 27" iMac, Adobe CS5 & Lightroom, Canon Rebel T2i and Wacom Tablet.