Thread: Images not as vibrant as I would like

Images not as vibrant as I would like

I am shooting in RAW with my Nikon D100 and adjusting with the settings in RAW and finding that my final images are just a little washed out.

What should I be adjusting to pump up teh color slightly without making the image look 'doctored up'?

Thanks

Erin

http://www.designerdigitals.com/ddga...p?ppuser=17881

2. If you're adjusting in Camera RAW, you might look into downloading the WOW presets for Camera RAW. Often just applying one or two of those to an image will give it the needed boost.
    Cassie

My Gear: Nikon D300s w/18-200mm VR & 50mm 1.4
    Software: Adobe Photoshop CS4, PSE 10, Lightroom 2

Thanks you. I will try that.

I wish I had asked long ago.

Erin

I love to use the Wow_Tone presets to get great color without looking fake

There are many different ways to enhance colors and make them "pop" a bit. One of my favorite things to do to a somewhat bland photo is the following:

1. Add a Levels adjustment layer and pull the black slider slightly to the right, and the white slider slightly to the left. Once you like it, flatten the image.

2. Go into Filter, Sharpen, Smart Sharpen, and set it to 80%. Adjust it higher or lower to your preference to make details "pop".

This works best for photos that are slightly under or over-exposed. If you have a photo that looks "right" to you exposure-wise, but you want to boost the colors, you can use Lab Color mode to do it. This works well for non-portraits; on people, it tends to make the skin look fake and weird. Here's a quick link on how to do it:

http://nicolas.noben.org/blog/photos...olours-spaces/

I use this sometimes, but just have to be careful that it doesn't make the colors TOO vibrant!

Jennifer

I just found a cool tut on-line that describes how to do the "Orton Effect" to sandwich two layers, one in focus and one out of focus, to get a really interesting image. I just tried it and it's nice on flowers & objects that don't have too much white in them. See what you think!

http://pcin.net/update/2006/11/01/th...p-of-the-week/

I tried to attach a sample to the last post; let's see if I can make it work this time!

Jennifer
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here's one more example of the Orton effect, compared to my original and my "usual" of doing levels+sharpening. I kind of like the Orton...it looks sort of creamy/dreamy and saturated. I'll have to figure out where to use it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Jennifer. The Orton effect looks like something fun to play with!

I have to give that Orton effect a try.... even though I am addicted to Lightroom....