Thread: tips and tricks for a newbie!?!?

tips and tricks for a newbie!?!?

Okay, so I'm SO new at the whole photography thing. I still point and shoot and need some tips on what I should work on learning FIRST. I have a Canon Rebel XT and occasionally get lucky with some shots, but after reading some of the threads about LR and Noiseware I'm very interested. Can someone explain the difference between to two or how they work together? Do they work with PSE? Or, can someone direct me to a thread that most likely already exists about this topic. Thanks for any tips you have and for your patience with my novice questions!
    Ashley

my blog

2. Hi, Ashley. I've had my camera for well over a year, and I still feel like a newbie, so don't worry.

Noiseware is a plug-in that works with PSE. Basically, once you install it, you run it like a filter on a photo to eliminate "noise" or grain. It's also available as a standalone product, but you wouldn't want that if you have PSE or PS.

Lightroom is a photo management/editing program. It is a standalone that doesn't require PS or PSE, but works seamlessly with them. You use it to make adjustments to things like white balance, tone, color balance, etc. (and I mean ETC., lol). You will learn much more about it by reading it's description on the www.adobe.com website.

I use both. If I had to choose only one, it would be LR. Noiseware is for a specific "fix" while LR is for making all kinds of adjustments to your images.

HTH.
    Cassie

My Gear: Nikon D300s w/18-200mm VR & 50mm 1.4
    Software: Adobe Photoshop CS4, PSE 10, Lightroom 2

I'd echo exactly what Cassie said

And what should you work on? Take photos every day...get comfortable with all of your settings and then move into the "Creative Zone" as you get more comfortable!