Thread: Raw

1. Raw

Another silly question in regards to Lightroom...since I have been playing in it I have been shooting in RAW...where the heck do I keep all of the files or do I keep all of them??? The size of the RAW file is just ENORMOUS....do you all keep them or edit, save as jpeg and delete the RAW? Just curious...this RAW business and LR is baffling...but SO exciting!
    Sara from MN
    my everyday ramblings blog
    My Camera: Rebel XT
    My Lenses: the kit, 50 f1.8, 17-50 f2.8
    The Fun Stuff: PSE4...testing the trial of LR!

I keep all of my RAW files since they are the equivalent of my digital negative. I just invest in External Hard Drive space

The way I handle my RAW files is that I go through at first with a critical eye and make 2 folders 'Don't use' and 'edited'.

Anything that is blatently blurry or just bad I do delete. Anything that I have questions about, in that I might have 6 similar and REALLY like 2. I will put the other 4 in the 'Don't use' folder (so that I have backups if upon editing the '2 I REALLY like' they have problems) and then when I get through sorting everything I know that anything left in my original folder is what I want to edit but I have backups in my 'Don't use' folder (just in case).

I find that by doing this, I don't get overwhelmed by the sheer number of photos I have to edit.

I do back-up to my external HD and then burn CD's a few times a year, so I have back-ups of all my work.

4. Thanks for the advice...I think I will get Scott Kelby's book so I don't get so overwhelmed initially w/ setting LR up. Then I will find a place for all those RAW files
    Sara from MN
    my everyday ramblings blog
    My Camera: Rebel XT
    My Lenses: the kit, 50 f1.8, 17-50 f2.8
    The Fun Stuff: PSE4...testing the trial of LR!

If you are using Lightroom you can simply mark them flagged, unflagged or rejected and it works almost like having folders without the step of creating folders! Super easy!