Thread: D300 focusing question

D300 focusing question

When I focus my camera and then re-frame, the camera automatically focuses on whatever is in the center of the frame. Talk about annoying! I can not figure out how to turn this off - even with the manual. Any help? I am always taking photos off center on purpose, but I like my subjects to be in focus when I do it.
    Heidi

My Gallery

Heidi Knight Photography
    Camera: Nikon D800
    Lenses: 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 17-35 f/2.8, 28-300, 24-70mm f/2.8
    Extras: Speedlight SB-700, Alien Bee 800
    Software: Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4

2. Dumb question, but you're holding the shutter halfway?

Maybe there's an AF lock setting you need to change?
    Cassie

My Gear: Nikon D300s w/18-200mm VR & 50mm 1.4
    Software: Adobe Photoshop CS4, PSE 10, Lightroom 2

Sounds like you need to change from auto-area AF to dynamic or single (I use dynamic). It's on the back, right above the latch to open the CF card slot. The top is auto-area (the camera will select the focus point), middle is dynamic (you select, but if the subject moves from that focus point, it will still focus, or the bottom is single area (camera focuses only on focus point selected.

And, I have to say, with 51 focus points, I no longer find the need to focus and recompose. Though it was definitely a hard habit to break!

Thanks, Kim! I changed it and yes, that looks like it was the problem. I really need to find time to sit down with the manual. Maybe this weekend.
    Heidi

My Gallery

Heidi Knight Photography
    Camera: Nikon D800
    Lenses: 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 17-35 f/2.8, 28-300, 24-70mm f/2.8
    Extras: Speedlight SB-700, Alien Bee 800
    Software: Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4