Thread: What I've learned during 30 days of Photos

What I've learned during 30 days of Photos

OK So I just had a MAJOR lightbulb moment. And I thought a thread about what some of us "newbie" photogs have learned would be fun! (And maybe we can learn from eachother!!)

First few things I learned: Shoot in RAW, Take it off Auto.
    Most recent thing I've learned: READ YOUR MANUAL

-Well heres my story about today, Ill try not to be too wordy...
    I've been shooting in manual mode for over a month now. Whoo hoo right??!? Well, everytime I wanted a shot to come out right, I'd hurry and switch to Auto because it was safe, (I noticed that Im not the only one that does this, Joey) Well if am indoors then forget manual mode, EVERY photo at every shutter speed, every ISO, no matter my combination was TERRIBLY underexposed. I just thought I had bad light, and really didn't know how to work my camera perfectly as I had not yet read the manual. My little meter at the bottom would be in the middle but still.........underexposed. So, today during my mini shoot for my daily photo, I decide to pull out my manual. It would help if my exposure compensation wasn't set to -5.0 DUH. So now my photos in manual mode ARE MUCH BETTER. And I know how to change that stuff....lol

What has everyone else learned?!?!
    Bailey

My Gallery

My Blog

Software/stuff: PS CS3, Lightroom 2, Wacom Intuos3
    Camera: Nikon D300s & backup d40x, 55-200 4.5vr, 50mm 1.4G

Bailey, this makes me chuckle a little because I recently learned about this too when I dug out my manual and realized no wonder my 50mm f.14 photos weren't sharp where I wanted them.. my focal point had been moved off center by accident so thinking I was focused on the right point, I wasn't. Aren't manuals wonderful!

My biggest break through was in deciding that it really is OK to shoot in Aperture or Shutter Priority Mode

My priority modes will work MUCH better now too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
    Bailey

My Gallery

My Blog

Even Mr. Scott talks about shooting in AP or SP mode! I still haven't mastered manual mode, but I'm working on it. The biggest thing I learned today was not to take my husband with me, since he makes me nervous.
    My Gallery

My Gear: Canon 50D, Canon EF 50mm 1.4, Canon EF 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS, Tamron 28-300mm IF
    My Software: PSE 7, Noiseware Professional, Lightroom 1.4

I shoot in Aperture Priority mode during sessions where we're moving around and the light is changing (shade to sun back to shade again). When I'm inside with a studio light I can shoot manual, but I'm just not fast enough with my adjustments for change - plus, I forget and end up with a ruined set. So manual is saved for times when I can set it and forget it.
    Heidi

My Gallery

Heidi Knight Photography
    Camera: Nikon D800
    Lenses: 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 17-35 f/2.8, 28-300, 24-70mm f/2.8
    Extras: Speedlight SB-700, Alien Bee 800
    Software: Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4

I've learned I'm ready to move up from my point and shoot camera. I love my camera and will probably still use it, but it has its limits.

babyroo7 Guest
    Well, first of all, I learned to proofread my posts...I sounded like a fool with my "non-candid" statement in another thread...I am sure that those of you who read it got a chuckle! I edited the thread so that I don't go down in history as a complete idiot!

I have learned that, while a lot can be corrected in photoshop, I can save time by learning my camera & composing a better shot in camera. Most of my 30 day shots are thought out & studied a bit...and then I photoshop the snot out of them! Seriously though, I learned that I have a lot to learn about my camera!

I learned that I need to get in the habit of taking my camera EVERYWHERE with me! I can't count the number of times lately that I have said, "Now that would be a good shot if only...."
    Lynn (also known as Lynnie!)

Oh Lynnie, I have to add that to my list as well!! SOOO many times Ive said that, now even my husband knows when were out and I do a little sigh, he says "should've brought your camera" lol
    Bailey

My Gallery

My Blog

well, I wasn't officially doing the 30-day thing, but I HAVE been taking photos almost every day, mostly of my dd! I used to shoot wedding & portraits before I had my daughter, and I still do portraits from time to time. But I'm still learning and getting better at using my camera, a Nikon D200.

One thing that gets me ALL THE TIME is resetting my ISO! I often bump up my ISO if I'm shooting in low light w/out flash, and then dang it all if I don't forget to put it back down again. I always feel like a big dork.

Someone mentioned manual. I only use manual (where I select both aperture & shutter speed) if I'm using studio flash lights and a lightmeter. Otherwise I use aperture priority, because I'm usually concerned with my depth of field. I rarely use shutter priority for my family/kid/outdoor shots.

Oh, the other time I put the camera on manual is if I'm "dragging the shutter" -- sometimes I do this at weddings for certain shots. This is where you use your offboard flash, but instead of letting the camera pick a shutter speed of 1/60 second like it usually defaults to when you use flash, you select a slower shutter speed. This allows both your subject and the background to be lit. If you want motion blur don't use a tripod; if you want a blur-free photo, use a tripod. Here's a site that talks about how to figure it out. I'd recommend giving it a try if you want to play around a bit!
    http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=009NM4

sorry if that was TMI!

Jennifer

You inspired me!

Yes! I finally read my camera's manual! (I just found it after misplacing it for a year and a half, too.)

I have learned too much to describe. No wonder....

Lynn
    --Lynn

babyroo7 Guest
    Jennifer, this is awesome information! TFS!

Jennifer, I am NOTORIOUS for forgetting to change my ISO! So much so that my husband has told me I need a stick note on my camera to check ISO. I completely BOMBED a session because I had my ISO very high from shooting indoor basketball pictures, which doesn't mix with studio lights. Bad. Very bad.

I'm with Lynnie... needing to take the camera more places!

WOW, I'm just getting up to speed with the 30day photo part of DD. Starting taking shots and posting to Flickr. I have so much to learn from all of ya'll. But the first thing that is settling into me is seeing the world from the eye of the camera. It's like learning a new language. You start to actually see differently like a new language makes you think differently.
    just call me Uma

I guess I SHOULD remove the blinkie.
    BUT I'm not gonna!

I can relate to that too Patricia!!! Taking a photo everyday totally makes you see things differently!!!
    Bailey

My Gallery

My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Starlite9711 View Post
    I can relate to that too Patricia!!! Taking a photo everyday totally makes you see things differently!!!
    LOL! My hubby and I just spent five minutes (or so) looking at the parking ticket machine in a parking garage trying to decide how you could take a picture of it and make it interesting I so want that eye!

Quote Originally Posted by Starlite9711 View Post
    I also agree! I've found that the times I don't take my camera with me I always wish I had. My family has accepted it as well ... no more eye rolling! Now if I can just get them to stop covering their faces when they see the camera!

Carol