Thread: Digital Photography tips from Scott Kelby

1. Digital Photography tips from Scott Kelby

Per a customer request , I just got Scott Kelby's The Digital Photography Book in at IdeaBooks4u. It is filled with wonderful tips like this:

1. How to get a group shot in focus? Try an aperture setting of f/11 and focus on the eyes of the people in the front row.

2. Trick to keep people from blinking: When shooting in groups, Kelby says "Okay, everybody close your eyes. Now open them on 3-2-1 . . . open!" Then he waits one count after they open their eyes before he takes the shot. He says it works wonders.

3. Here's a trick for great baby shots: Have the parents wear long-sleeved black turtlenecks (available at Target). Zoom in really closely and you'll get a sweet little baby resting peacefully in her mother's (and father's) arms.

4. Want to freeze the action in your kids' soccer game?: Shoot at a speed of at least 1/640 of a second (or faster) to stop the motion and keep your image sharp.
    Jill

DD Gallery

Software: Photoshop Elements 6
    Camera: Canon Rebel XT
    Lenses: 50 mm 1.8, 18-55 mm, 75-300

Thanks for sharing these great tips Jill. I've been thinking of getting this but wanted to check it out at the bookstore first. I especially like the tip about closing the eyes - it might help for my grown daughter who was born with a cataract in one eye. They are closed in every indoor photo I take lately, even when she's not aware I'm going to snap her!

Oooooh, the book looks wonderful! Thanks for alerting us... think I might do a little book shoppin' this weekend! Be on the lookout for an order!
    Debi

My DD Gallery: From the Beehive
    My Camera: Canon 60D
    (Lens: 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, 70-200mm f/2.8)
    My Software: Photoshop Elements 10
    My Platform: Dell PC w/Wacom "Bamboo" Tablet

I'll testify the book is GREAT!! I bought it when I first got my camera. It was an easy read and he's got a great sense of humor throughout the book. It's a must for your camera bag!
    Melissa
    My gear:
    I have no gear...I sold all my Canon gear, now I'm thinking of getting a Nikon.
    Software: PSE5
    My slow growing gallery (don't laugh..I'm getting there...lol)

5. The running joke at my house, is that if there's a photo of me, my eyes are going to be closed! Maybe I'll try the blinking trick for my own photos!
    Jill

DD Gallery

Software: Photoshop Elements 6
    Camera: Canon Rebel XT
    Lenses: 50 mm 1.8, 18-55 mm, 75-300

same for my DH, if they are not closed he looks as though he is falling asleep. I can't ever get a decent shot of him
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

7. My eyes blink at different rates! So I always have one eye half closed, looking like I've had a stroke. Not the most appealing, attractive image! Scott Kelby's books are great!

8. 1. How to get a group shot in focus? Try an aperture setting of f/11 and focus on the eyes of the people in the front row.

2. Trick to keep people from blinking: When shooting in groups, Kelby says "Okay, everybody close your eyes. Now open them on 3-2-1 . . . open!" Then he waits one count after they open their eyes before he takes the shot. He says it works wonders.

We have Scott's book and used these tips for some portraits we're taking at our church and the group one for our Thanksgiving family photo. We had 30 people and it worked!

babyroo7 Guest
    I just read through books 1 & 2 last night. Great/easy read. Now I need to go and read them again with my camera in hand & apply what I have learned. These books are worth every penny! Now to read Understanding Exposure!

I just got this from IdeaBooks4U and have to say that I LOVE IT! I've just been skimming it and found a few things that have been extremely helpful!

The tip I've read that I wish I would have thought of a long time ago is to zoom on my lcd after taking a photo to see if it is in focus and sharp. Not only does my camera have 3 buttons that make it extremely easy (that I'd never used) it saved me card space since I was able to delete some fuzzy shots right in camera that just viewing small on the lcd made them look perfect!

Plus...the book is small enough I can tuck it in my camera bag for those, "how should I set up for this" photos.

Thanks Jill!!

Quote Originally Posted by katrinak View Post
    I just got this from IdeaBooks4U and have to say that I LOVE IT! I've just been skimming it and found a few things that have been extremely helpful!

The tip I've read that I wish I would have thought of a long time ago is to zoom on my lcd after taking a photo to see if it is in focus and sharp. Not only does my camera have 3 buttons that make it extremely easy (that I'd never used) it saved me card space since I was able to delete some fuzzy shots right in camera that just viewing small on the lcd made them look perfect!

Plus...the book is small enough I can tuck it in my camera bag for those, "how should I set up for this" photos.

Thanks Jill!!
    OK... you've sold me! I've been contemplating this... and now, I just feel like I have to have these books! Off to shop... here comes an order, Jill!
    Debi

My DD Gallery: From the Beehive
    My Camera: Canon 60D
    (Lens: 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, 70-200mm f/2.8)
    My Software: Photoshop Elements 10
    My Platform: Dell PC w/Wacom "Bamboo" Tablet

Quote Originally Posted by beehive50 View Post
    OK... you've sold me! I've been contemplating this... and now, I just feel like I have to have these books! Off to shop... here comes an order, Jill!
    I've left it on the table by the chair that my dh sometimes sits in and he has been picking it up saying, "I think I should take more pictures too!" Woohooo...if I can get him hooked to then less guilt about the lens I'm eyeing