Thread: Photography Challenge -- I <3 Eye Level wk of Feb 8

Photography Challenge -- I <3 Eye Level wk of Feb 8

I loved all of the great takes on last week's challenge! Elliotsurf must have been reading my mind for this week's challenge!! Loved seeing her heart!
    Love is in the air this week so a Valentine's inspired challenge!

Subject -- Heart!

Technique -- Get on eye level, or if your subject has no eyes just get level with it.

I love that feeling of being drawn in to something at eye level. It also gives you a lot more opportunity to play with the depth of field! Being on eye level with little people creates a photo from their perspective and can capture the playful spirit in their eyes! (It can also lead to finger prints on your lens!)

If your subject doesn't move much you can try out Aperture Priority mode (A or AV). Decide the depth of field you want and let the camera do the rest. Check here for more on depth of field.

And for fun share just how much you had to contort to get things "on the level"! I know my neighbors think I'm weird since I've been known to lay on the sidewalk to get the shot I want!

Have fun! Post to the photography forum and let us know here that you took the challenge!!

***More "angles" to appear soon Let me know if you have ideas of challenges or techniques you want to learn more about too!
    Last edited by katrinak; 02-09-2008 at 06:14 PM.

Katrina-just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your work on these challenges. I have done all of them, although I never got around to posting the one a week ago. I have learned sooo much in such a short time. Thanks for the comprehensive descriptions and just for the fun!

Well, now... good thing I snapped that photo of Kyna for last week's challenge laying on the ground! Not sure I'll be able to do this challenge walking around at CHA! LOL

And, I ditto Deanie... you are so wonderful to do these challenges! They are sooooo helpful to this SLR newbie! *mwah*
    Debi

My DD Gallery: beehive50

Quote Originally Posted by beehive50 View Post
    Not sure I'll be able to do this challenge walking around at CHA! LOL
    I dare you They'll understand

So glad your enjoying the challenges Debi!

Sounds good Katrina, I so need to just do this. I have been lazy lately! Great challenge, and even thought I haven't done one yet, I am reading and learning from your challengs and the participation of the not so lazy I really will try to get this done!
    Rhonda
    Software: Adobe Photoshop CS2
    Nikon D40x 18-55mm/55-200mm

Here's mine:

Wedding Rings
    Abie
    My Gallery
    My Photos
    My Blog
    Cameras: Olympus E-500 (DSLR) and Olympus C-765 (Point and Shoot)
    Lenses: 17.5-45mm F3.5-5.6 Kit Lens, 40-150mm F3.5-4.5 Kit Lens, 50 mm F2.0 Macro Lens
    Others: Circular Polarizer, Remote Control

Michelle

From Downunder! My DD Gallery!
    Memory catcher: Canon IXUS 800 IS and Rebel/EOS 400D
    Creative tool: Photoshop CS 3

Since my back now feels as if I was pulling 2 hippos on a sled after taking pictures of our wedding rings at eye level, I might as well post my other favorite pictures from the batch.

For the curious, I just stuck our wedding rings on a crumpled double-sided tape, which in turn was stuck on a blue kraft paper. I just kept on moving a table lamp and the kraft paper until I got the shadows that I wanted. I was doing this over a document box and now I wish I used a proper table for this project! I guess I'm no longer as young as I used to be.

I used Katie's Kraft Paper and Postage Stamp template for this lay-out.

Advanced happy valentine's day!
    Abie
    My Gallery
    My Photos
    My Blog
    Cameras: Olympus E-500 (DSLR) and Olympus C-765 (Point and Shoot)
    Lenses: 17.5-45mm F3.5-5.6 Kit Lens, 40-150mm F3.5-4.5 Kit Lens, 50 mm F2.0 Macro Lens
    Others: Circular Polarizer, Remote Control

Love this Abie! So cool! I've wanted to try this and now may have to give it a go!!

Michelle you did it perfectly! Cute toes there

Fun challenge Katrina, my camera is now full of dog hair, and my knee is stuck....I couldn't find a heart....but I "heart" buddy...does that count??

here's mine
    Kathie

my gallery

Camera: Nikon D90, Nikon D50
    Lenses: Nikkor: 50 mm 1.4, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, Micro 60mm 2.8G ED, 18-200mm VR, SB-800
    Software: Adobe PSE3 and CS2
    Computer Platform: It may be a PC, but at least it's fast

Quote Originally Posted by kathie02 View Post
    Fun challenge Katrina, my camera is now full of dog hair, and my knee is stuck....I couldn't find a heart....but I "heart" buddy...does that count??

here's mine
    We all heart Buddy so that definitely counts!! Thanks for playing along...hope your knee is better and you get the lens cleaned

Loved doing this challenge Katrina and have enjoyed seeing everyones work. Here is my take. http://www.designerdigitals.com/digi...=53014&cat=760

Here is mine. If you look close, Sam's nose is the heart http://www.designerdigitals.com/digi...hp?photo=53025

One more from me. I took this from my living room window, kneeling and supporting my elbows on the window sill. http://www.designerdigitals.com/digi...hp?photo=53063

OMG! I go away for a few days and look at all the wonderful photos! Wow! You guys really can take gorgeous photos! I'm pea-green!

Hey... I took 100s of pics at CHA... eye-level, huh? Did that. "Heart"? Oh, yeah... lots of hearts to see. Maybe I DO have a photo for this week... I'll peruse all my pics again, just in case I did the challenge w/o really realizing I actually did the challenge! hahaha
    Debi

I've finally got my shot.

As I explained under the post I am NOT a photographer. (I use a "Canon Power Shot".)
    But I do enjoy participating in these challenges. I'm learning to see things through new eyes.

So this is the picture I captured of Tyler today when I got down to Eye Level.

Thanks Katrina! Keep them coming!
    Linda
    Come and see me sometime!

Got my shot, too! And, I'm thrilled with it! Keep these challenges coming... you'll have all of us being great photographers one of these days!

camelia

Thanks SO MUCH, Katrina!
    Debi

Got mine too... http://www.designerdigitals.com/digi...99&ppuser=1870

i {heart} my kitty

Fun to finally explore my camera... looking forward to the next challenge!

~Trude

My Gallery
    My Blog
    My Gear: Canon Rebel XTi, 50mm f/1.4 lens, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 zoom
    My Program: Adobe Photoshop CS3

It took me a while to finish this challenge but here is my layout with eye-level photos. Thanks for all the great ideas, Katrina. I love doing these photography challenges, even if I'm just using my little point-and-shoot!

Paulina

Ok ladies!! You are rocking these challenges! I'm so glad you are enjoying them and trying them out with whatever camera you have! It's all about the memories!!

Watch for a new challenge coming very soon....a day late...but it will arrive very very soon

Here is my interpretation. I am just beginning to use my new Nikon D40 (which I love!). I don't really know anything about it yet, but boy, are the pictures ever better! This was great fun!
    http://www.designerdigitals.com/digi...3362&nocache=1
    Any suggestions for improvement would be appreciated
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

Katrina, Thank you and please keep these challenges coming! Here is mine for the eye_level challenge! I am learning so much! Sorry that I am not making the time to turn them into layouts!
    http://www.designerdigitals.com/digi...hp?photo=53367

Even though my photo wasn't made for this challenge (I have been out of town) I was on eye level with our grandaughter and her big "eyes" Saturday at the ice cream store.

http://www.designerdigitals.com/digi...hp?photo=53597
    Mollie

My DD Gallery

DD Photo-a-Day Flickr Group

Software: Photoshop Elements 8.0
    My Gear: Canon PowerShot G10, Canon D50 , Tameron 28-300 lens and Canon 50mm - 1.4 lens
    Computer: iMac

Katrina, love the challenge - will look for a photo that works with it - I know I have some.
    Heidi

My Gallery

Heidi Knight Photography
    Camera: Nikon D800
    Lenses: 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 17-35 f/2.8, 28-300, 24-70mm f/2.8
    Extras: Speedlight SB-700, Alien Bee 800
    Software: Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4

Here is my take on the challenge, I did a mini shoot with Rilyn the other day and made sure to get some eye level pics. This one is my favorite and will definitely be making it into a layout soon! Thanks for the challenges!!
    http://www.designerdigitals.com/digi...720&ppuser=219
    Bailey

My Gallery

My Blog

Software/stuff: PS CS3, Lightroom 2, Wacom Intuos3
    Camera: Nikon D300s & backup d40x, 55-200 4.5vr, 50mm 1.4G