Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photo Challenge -- Focus on Orange

Smile Photo Challenge -- Focus on Orange

I'm stepping in for Heidi for the challenges for a bit. Her photog business is BOOMING! (of course it is, she's got talent!) So you get me, learning along with you!

Focus On Orange

We’re going to give a two part challenge a try! One part subject and one part technical. Combine both parts or pick just one! Shoot in whatever mode you are comfortable…but don’t be afraid to take a pixel risk!

For my first challenge our focus will be the color orange…yes, anything that inspires you. Take a photo of anything ORANGE!

The second part of the challenge is the basic, but important element of FOCUS. Choose a subject; decide what you want to focus on, push the button half way to focus and then shoot! Then with the same subject pick another focal point and try it again. Compare the results. Think about the shutter as really having two steps…focus then shoot.

A few things to think about:
    1. Slow down and focus on your breathing while you take your photos. Press the shutter down smoothly while you exhale. Great focus happens when we have no camera shake and a shutter speed fast enough for the subject we are capturing (Remember the rule: shutter speed should be at least the reciprocal of the focal length)
    2. Lock your Focus -- with your camera in auto focus, focus on your subject hold the shutter down half way “locking” your focal point in place, recompose without releasing and then shoot
    3. If you are shooting in Auto mode your camera will select the focus (AF point). It will try to center focus but will focus on the highest contrast area typically ( a great reason to move out of Auto and capture a bit more control)

If you are shooting in a mode other than Auto:
    1. Change your AF (auto focus) points in camera and let the camera do the work. Try something different than just letting the camera default to the center focal point.
    2. The wider your aperture the smaller your area of focus is going to be. Think about it as a small number…small area of focus. Large number…larger area of focus.
    3. We'll tackle back button focus in a future challenge
    4. This challenge won't work if your camera is set to Al Servo focus

When I really get shooting I will often forget to slow down, look through the view finder and really find what it is I want to focus on. When I do take the time I’m almost always more pleased with my results!

Post in the photography forum…and you can always add the extra challenge of placing your photos on a layout too! (I’m very multi-task focused this year)

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Thanks so much for doing this, Katrina!
    Nikon D80, 50mm 1.4, 18-135mm
    CS4, Lightroom 2

WooHoo! "Orange" you glad Katrina gave us a challenge today! (OK... corny, wasn't it?) Anyways, thank you, Ms. K... I'll be working on this one this weekend! I already have a subject in mind...
    Debi

My DD Gallery: beehive50

yay! I hope I can get time to play with this challenge. Does my son's red hair count as orange? LOL

*groan* at Debi's comment (but only because she beat me to it! LOL!)
    sounds like fun! orange .. orange ... looking around ....
    Sara

My DD Gallery: sarahorton

Maybe I'll let go of the fear I have and give this challenge a try...

Hmm I'd better keep my eyes open! Nothing comes to mind right now except the oranges my BF brought home from his parents house the other day...

Thanks so much for doing the challenge!
    ~Trude

My Gallery
    My Blog
    My Gear: Canon Rebel XTi, 50mm f/1.4 lens, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 zoom
    My Program: Adobe Photoshop CS3

Hi all. I'm new to this site and board. Part of my New Years Resolution is getting to know my camera better. I have an Olympus UZ510, a higher end point and shot and have purchased 1 of the 2 lens able for it. This sounds like fun. Now to go seek and find orange. Connie

Excited to see what everyone comes up with! Welcome to all of the newcomers too!

Here is my take (and yes I hit overachiever mode for this one -- thought I might as well do something with the photos!!) Can you see the difference?

certainly can, and it is so cool! I just ordered a D40 to arrive early next week. My first non PS camera. I am so excited, I can hardly contain myself! This challenge is pretty cool, I might just try this out, if I find the time. Thanks Katrina, so fun!
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

Here is mine. I thought about photographing traffic cones or a construction fence, but this toy was more readily accessible.

Heidi

My Gallery

Heidi Knight Photography
    Camera: Nikon D800
    Lenses: 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 17-35 f/2.8, 28-300, 24-70mm f/2.8
    Extras: Speedlight SB-700, Alien Bee 800
    Software: Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4

Sooooo cute, Heidi! And, I can see the difference in the background w/your different settings... I'm learning, I'm learning! (Just wish I was "there" already!)

Now, I've got to CLEAN off my desk to take pics of my "orange"... ...that's my main chore for the weekend! LOL
    Debi

Quote Originally Posted by anke View Post
    certainly can, and it is so cool! I just ordered a D40 to arrive early next week. My first non PS camera. I am so excited, I can hardly contain myself! This challenge is pretty cool, I might just try this out, if I find the time. Thanks Katrina, so fun!
    Anke... you HAVE to try the challenge! There are a number of us with new cameras here... and like you, I just got my first SLR, too! And, I need to learn, learn, learn... so jump in w/me and everyone else! It'll be FUN!
    Debi

Great take on the challenge Heidi! LOVE your Depth of Field description too!

Hey everybody, I thought I would come by with some ideas for the color orange. I am so excited by Katrina's challenge because there are so many different directions you can go! Have fun shooting on this long weekend!
    1) an orange
    2) traffic cones
    3) construction fence
    4) fiskar scissors
    5) clothing
    6) jello
    7) candle
    8) toys
    9) cars
    10) fish
    11) Debi's desk perhaps? So everyone rush over to her house =)
    12) face paint
    13) crayon/marker
    14) shag carpet - anyone got any of that?
    15) a basketball
    Heidi

My Gallery

Heidi Knight Photography
    Camera: Nikon D800
    Lenses: 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 17-35 f/2.8, 28-300, 24-70mm f/2.8
    Extras: Speedlight SB-700, Alien Bee 800
    Software: Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4

I'm trying this. And I made it into a fun game for the whole family - i.e. find Mommy something orange to photograph They liked that much better than having me begging them to let me take their picture!
    -Paula

Camera: Canon Digital Rebel XT
    Software: Adobe PSCS2, PSE 5.0
    my gallery

live.scrap.repeat

I love how this challenge has evoloved! Great list too Heidi! I can't wait to see the orange shag

Love this!
    Thomas' favorite color is orange... he only wears orange crocs for shoes... so I'm in like flint with the orange stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by HeidiKnight View Post
    Hey everybody, I thought I would come by with some ideas for the color orange. I am so excited by Katrina's challenge because there are so many different directions you can go! Have fun shooting on this long weekend!
    1) ...... 11) Debi's desk perhaps? So everyone rush over to her house =)
    Ack! I'm not prepared for guests! And, the desk is still not cleaned up! I'd better get a move on then! Thanks for the kick in the pants, Heidi!
    Debi

I mostly use a point-and-shoot but I thought I'd try the photography challenge anyhow. My husband uses a digital SLR but I've not had the courage to use it other than on auto mode yet. Hopefully, these photography challenges will push me to try some new things.

Here's my layout with a photo of my orange yarn.

Paulina

Thanks for playing Paulina! I LOVE your orange! P&S's capture great memories too

So here is my first orange link.
    http://www.designerdigitals.com/digi...=50557&cat=504

Love this challenge, Katrina
    Elaine
    ScrapWorks

Okay I've done like 6 LOs this week so I thought I'd just show the photos! I was at my parents house and realized how cool the orange trees looked in the late afternoon sun, and figured there was my challenge photos!

Thanks again for taking on the challenge, K!
    ~Trude

My Gallery
    My Blog

Love the golden colors you got Trude. I think the last one is my favorite!

Trying to locate any orange items ( besides carrots and oranges), we had a beautiful sunrise this morning. Wow, did I ever get an eye opener; Can there really be this much difference between auto and manuel mode? Connie http://www.designerdigitals.com/digi...=50594&cat=760

Katrina...Ok, I want to try this one too, but I am confused about how you focus on one spot or another...This is probably so basic, but I have to ask because I just am not getting the results that you are.

I have a rebel xt with a 50mm 1.8 lens. When you say focus on the eye, do you mean push the button down half way, focus on the eye(or whatever your object of focus is) in the center of the shot and then move the camera slightly to reset the shot to move that focal point to the left or right of your frame? Or are you using different focal points inside your camera(those little flashes of light you see in the middle, left and right of your viewfinder)? If you are using different focal points inside the camera viewfinder, how do you reset those?

What is the best mode to get these results? P, AV, Manual???

I hope that I am making sense!

It does make sense!

And you've got it right -- pick something to focus on, push the shutter half way down to focus on your object and then move the camera to "recompose" and then push the rest of the way.

You can do a similar thing without recomposing by changing the AF points to your desired focal point. On the Rebel there is a cross figure on the right top side. If you hold the button next to that you can spin the wheel and it will change the AF point. You can see the red light move if you look through the viewfinder.

Either P, AV, or Manual mode will work for this challenge. Just select the one you are most comfortable with. If you shoot with a wider aperture (smaller f/number) you will more dramatically see the difference in focus.

I hope this helps! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Wow..can't wait to do this.........my whole family is CLEMSON so finding some orange will not be a problem...

Tammy

My Gallery:
    Nikon D40(newbie photo taker
    Software:PSE5

Quote Originally Posted by katrinak View Post
    Love the golden colors you got Trude. I think the last one is my favorite!
    Thanks! Me too.
    ~Trude

My Gallery
    My Blog

Here is my try...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast