Thread: Need Help: Upload Sizes and Resolutions

Need Help: Upload Sizes and Resolutions

A little lengthy, but this is a general question for uploading to forums and mags. I've seen this in the threads before, but couldn't find it. For DD I reduce to 72 Res and 500 pixels then save to web for about 240K. (Is this right or can I save it to a higher quality because the journaling is pretty fuzzy at this size?) But for Mags, like CK, you can send them 500K layouts. What's the best way to get the proper size and best quality? Still save to 72 res and maybe 800 pixels? I get so confused with the various options, but don't want to lose quality. DSM wants only 100K uploads. Thanks for any suggestions.
    Chris

My Gallery

Camera: Canon Rebel XT
    Software: PSE9
    Wacom Tablet: Intuos 3

Sorry, I meant to post this in the general talk forum, but I guess it's relevant here, too.
    Chris

My Gallery

you know what, I really don't think you need to submit 500k files for them to look good. I'm recently realizing there's all kinds of things you can do for web viewing that I don't do. I just send very similar to what you're doing --- usually between 100 and 200 k except for DSM.

also . . .when you're saving for DD, I go with 700 pixels wide --- 'cause Cassie told me in another thread that that's what's right (i'm not sure what the lingo is here).
    Debbie

Chris, at DSM we only need low-resolution (72dpi) versions of your layouts because they are reviewed onscreen. We also don't need the layouts submitted full-size. Submitting a 12x12 original layout as a 6x6 lo-res version works fine. There is a 100K size limit and saving a 6x6 at about 60% should get you in under that with no problem at all. If your layout is chosen for publication we will ask you to submit an 8x8 hi-resolution version for print purposes.

Hope this helps!
    Pattie

Software: Photoshop CS5 - Photoshop Elements 10 - Adobe Lightroom 3

Gear: Canon30D with 50mm 1.4 and IS 28-135mm lenses - Canon Digital Elph DD1000

Visit My Gallery -- My Blog

Thanks, Debbie and Pattie:
    There seem to be many different ways to submit. Your tips were very helpful!
    Chris

My Gallery