Thread: Fav meals for fussy kids ...

Fav meals for fussy kids ...

Okay, got any family favs? I am cooking for 5 kids between the ages of 2 and 15 and short on meals that everyone will eat. So any sure-wins (the quicker and easier the better)...

The only meals I seem to be able to get everyone to eat are:
    Pesto pasta
    Roast chicken and roast potatoes
    Beef mince tacos
    and
    Chicken noodle soup.

Any other ideas???

2. have you tried octopus hot dogs?

take a hot dog, slice it in half for about 2/3 the length of the dog. slice each half into 3 or 4 tentacles, depending on how good your knife is.

boil - when you do, the tentacles curl up. when done, you can sit the octopus on top of a mound of pasta or rice (or whatever other sides you like). kids just love this!

Janice

My Gear: Canon XTi, 18-55 mm lens (Canon), 75-300mm Lens (Canon), 50 mm 1.8 lens (Canon)
    Software: PSE 5.0, Lightroom

my quilts: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2261921...7621758913540/

my blog: http://familyphotosfabric.blogspot.com/

3. When my kids were little I made this and they still ask for it when they come home. I mixed a can of creme of chicken soup with cooked egg noodles, butter salt and pepper and milk to thin.

sarah - i've got one super picky eater, but it's as bad as having 5 i promise! i just bought jessica seinfeld's deceptively delicious. i'm going to figure out how to put veggies in brownies and chick peas in chocolate chip cookies! lots of kid friendly recipes. i'll let you know how it goes over.

5. Deli type sandwiches (they can add their own fixings to it)
    Pizza (again if you have mini pizzas, they can make their own.)
    breakfast foods (pancakes or eggs etc.)

HTH
    Terri

Fruit Smoothies- I know its not a meal idea, but you can add a couple baby carrots and a handful of spinach to frozen fruit with some milk or yogurt Cant taste the spinach or carrots at all. (if you cant get past the color, use blueberries to mask the green color)
    Bailey

My Gallery

My Blog

Software/stuff: PS CS3, Lightroom 2, Wacom Intuos3
    Camera: Nikon D300s & backup d40x, 55-200 4.5vr, 50mm 1.4G

GREAT ideas, guys!

I hadn't thought about pancakes - I know they all love sweet ones, so I wonder if they'll eat savory ones too with cheese and ham in (does that idea gross-out all you US folk?? ) And I love the ways of 'hiding' veggies.

I think the noodle dish could definately work! - Sounds v. easy too!!

I was a bit suprised someone was suggesting octopus for fussy eaters until I read it properly !!!

Here is another one of our family favorites...I sometimes add some broccoli for more flavor/nutrition, it is wonderful and kids always love it!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Poppy-S...II/Detail.aspx
    Last edited by Starlite9711; 12-28-2007 at 12:58 PM. Reason: forgot to add the link.....duh
    Bailey

My Gallery

My Blog

9. I love chicken Parmesan and i like to make it from scratch but when I don't have time I take breaded chicken patties... bake them according to the package directions, then put them in a baking dish, cover with a bottle of spagetti sauce, top with shredded mozzarella and grated Parmesan and bake at 350 until the sauce is bubbly and the cheese is melted. I serve it with salad and hot crusty rolls or bread.

I cook up some boneless skinless chicken cut into chunks. Then mix with egg noodles and cream of mushroom soup. it's a big hit in our house. You can also add a can of mixed veggies or whatever veggie you want.

My kids loved tator tot casserole. Hamburger (or I have used chicken) bag of tator tots, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, and green beans topped with shredded cheese. The green beans hidden in with the tator tots got eaten. Easy. ;-)

I LOVE tater tot casserole but DH doesn't so I don't make it. now I'm craving it...thanks a lot kathie! LOL

13. My four year old loves fresh Ravioli... doesn't matter what's in them if they are small little pockets of something she will sit and eat several of them! We have had cheese, vegetable or meat Ravioli and she's devoured all of them! She doesn't even notice that there is finely chopped broccoli in the sauce!! Only catch is she only eats fresh or frozen... no canned stuff for her!

I only know the 2 year old end of the eating spectrum, but thought I would chime in with simply rice and beans. My son will eat it 3 meals a day 7 days a week if I provided it then! You could provide tortillas and cheese and let older ones make burritos with it or use it as a side for something else

Quesadillas! Put grated cheese on a tortilla and microwave it. You can add veggies, chicken, beans, even chopped apples or pineapple. Try whole wheat or spinach tortillas if you want to be a little healthier.

We love stuffed potatoes - i microwave them but finish off in oven to make skins crisp. Open up and then top with any manner of fillings. We cookup bacon, onion & mushrooms while the potatoes are cooking. You can choose to add sour cream/ butter or plain yoghurt for a healthier version. Shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, grated cheese, canned sweet corn, avacado, salsa, beans - anything you like really!
    We also do "haystacks" if we're going to feed a whole lot of kids - chilli beef mince - or do a milder version if that's going to suit - and then the above toppings of choice - on top of a generous serve of corn chips (i do believe they do healthy ones these days - but how would i know!!) Yummmmmmmmmm

Katrina, I swear our two year olds are of the same mold...T will eat rice and beans over just about anything.
    Bailey

My Gallery

My Blog

My two-year old will only eat mac and cheese, and sometimes beans, if he gets to dip chips in it, fruit, and yogurt. I always say he has to eat his "protein", but beans and some cheese are about all I can do, maybe I have a little vegetarian in the making on my hands? I can't wait for the day that I can't keep the food in the house.
    Rhonda
    Software: Adobe Photoshop CS2
    Nikon D40x 18-55mm/55-200mm

A fave with my 3 year old is pork chops and red rice.

You can use what ever thickness of pork chops you want. I use the butterfly ones, but my Mom uses really thin ones.

in a deep dish baking pan mix up 2 cans of tomato soup with 2 cans of water. Bring it to a boil. Add 2 cans of rice. Salt and Pepper to taste. Put in the pork chops and bake covered on 350 for 1 hour.

You can make more or less, depending on how large of a crowd you need to feed. For every can of soup you add, add 1 can of water and 1 cup of rice.

Sometimes I also add chopped onion to the mix.
    Jeanann

Canon EOS Rebel XTi, Sony Cybershot
    PSE 6.0, PSCS3