Thread: Any aussie DD friends out there?

Any aussie DD friends out there?

I have a request please!

I'm a special ed. teacher and my students have to make a recipe from Australia for their social studies project next week.

Are there any aussie friends (or even NZ friends!) who could offer up a recipe that would be appropriate for 12 year olds to make?

Thanks for your help!

What about ANZAC biscuits? I'll post the recipe asap.

I was thinking of anzacs too LOL! they are really easy to make - not sure about the other two.... ENJOY!

ANZAC BISCUITS
    Ingredients:
    1 cup each of plain flour, sugar, rolled oats and coconut
    120 g of butter, melted
    1 tablespoon of Golden Syrup
    2 tablespoons of boiling water
    1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda dissolved in a little water

Method
    Mix together dry ingredients
    Then the rest
    Spoon onto a greased oven tray
    Cook in a 150-160 centigrade oven for 10 to 15 minutes

LAMINGTONS
    Ingredients:
    6 eggs
    2/3 cup castor sugar
    1/3 cup cornflour
    1/2 cup plain flour
    1/3 cup self-raising flour
    2 cups (180g) coconut, approximately
    Icing:
    4 cups (500g) icing sugar
    1/2 cup cocoa
    15g butter, melted
    2/3 cup milk
    Method:
    Grease 23cm square slab pan. Beat eggs in medium bowl with electric mixer about 10 minutes, or until thick and creamy. Gradually beat in sugar, dissolving between additions. Fold in triple-sifted flours. Spread mixture in prepared pan. Bake in moderate oven about 30 minutes. Turn onto wire rack to cool.
    Cut cake into 16 squares, dip squares into icing, drain off excess icing, toss squares in coconut. Place lamingtons on wire rack to set.
    Icing: Sift icing sugar and cocoa into heatproof bowl, stir in butter and milk. Stir over pan of simmering water until icing is of coating consistency.

PAVLOVA
    Ingredients
    4 egg whites, at room temperature
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/4 tsp cream of tartar or 5ml or 1 tsp lemon juice
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup cream -whipped
    2 cups mixed fresh fruit (strawberries, kiwifruit, etc)

Method
    Line a baking sheet with foil. Draw a 23cm (9-inch) circle on the foil.
    In a large glass or metal bowl, beat egg whites, vanilla, cream of tartar and salt at high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 25ml (2 tbsp) at a time, beating well after each addition and continue beating until stiff, glossy peaks form. Spoon onto prepared cookie sheet within your marked circle, mounding higher around the edge.
    Bake in preheated oven at 120 degrees for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours until crisp on outside and firm to the touch. Turn off heat and allow to cool with door propped open. Pavlova can be stored in cool, airtight container for several days.
    To Serve: spread whipped cream and top with fresh fruit. Chill until serving time.

thank you so much! where will I find golden syrup? I've never heard of it!

5. Williams Sonoma, and sometimes the specialty sections of the (more expensive) grocery store, carry Golden Syrup.

Janice

My Gear: Canon XTi, 18-55 mm lens (Canon), 75-300mm Lens (Canon), 50 mm 1.8 lens (Canon)
    Software: PSE 5.0, Lightroom

my quilts: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2261921...7621758913540/

my blog: http://familyphotosfabric.blogspot.com/

Sorry I had no idea that it was not available DUH!! ... here's some infor on what it is
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_syrup

I never thought of golden syrup not being available in North America either! ANZAC biscuits YUM!
    Donna

My Gallery

NIKON D600, 24-70mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, Macro 105mm 2.8, 28-300mm & FUJIFILM X-E1
    PSE 10, LR 4
    iMac & MBPro / Mavericks

I'm wondering if Karo syrup would be a close enough alternative for you.

Hi Dana,
    Have you read "Possum Magic" to your kids? Aussie classic with a list of different "Aussie" foods to go with each capital city. A picture book that even 12 years olds would enjoy I think - it's one of the favourites in my grade 2/3/4 class. We do a map of Australia with pictures of the foods near each city and mark on it the path that the animals take in their journey around Australia. We made a version of each of the foods each week - but the anzacs were the easiest with pumpkin scones close behind (I think you call scones biscuits in the states?)

that book sounds fun! I'll have to see if I can find it! thanks for the recommendation!