Thread: favorite christmas music

favorite christmas music

once we're in the week of thanksgiving, i break out the christmas music. i have a pretty extensive collection, but i'm always looking for more!

last year, i was really into brian setzer's cd's. and i'm wondering, what's in your christmas playlist?

2. Celtic for me

My absolute favorite Christmas music is Celtic Christmas, I have vol. 1 and 4 . I will have that playing when my girls walk in the door for Thanksgiving. They will be expecting it! We love it that much. ALso listening to Sarah McLaughlin and Jewel Christmas.

3. love Celtic Christmas! and - goofy as it seems - love the Charlie Brown Christmas CD.

Janice

My Gear: Canon XTi, 18-55 mm lens (Canon), 75-300mm Lens (Canon), 50 mm 1.8 lens (Canon)
    Software: PSE 5.0, Lightroom

my quilts: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2261921...7621758913540/

my blog: http://familyphotosfabric.blogspot.com/

4. Okay, I have been to Itunes and back with A Charlie Brown Christmas in my shopping cart. I also peaked at Charles Brown Blues Christmas, Awesome Ladies. So Blusey and is the kind of music that makes you sway ( you know?) Charlie Brown's 40 years of Christmas is also loaded with popular artists. Thanks for the CB trip Janice!! MErry Christmas! TEE HEE

5. Myra . . . we LOVE Christmas music around here. Every year, Jeffry's Christmas party invitation from work is written on the cover of a compilation CD that a co-worker puts together, so we have pretty much every kind of Christmas song under the sun.

These are the individual CDs we own, though. My personal favorites are in red.

1. The Barenaked Ladies - Barenaked for the Holidays
    2. Brian Setzer - Dig That Crazy Christmas
    3. The Brian Setzer Orchestra - Boogie Woogie Christmas
    4. Burl Ives - Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
    5. Chet Atkins - East Tennessee Christmas
    6. Chris Isaak - Christmas
    7. Dean Martin - Season's Greetings
    8. Dwight Yoakam - Come On Christmas
    9. Elvis Presley - If Every Day Was Like Christmas
    10. Harry Connick, Jr. - Harry for the Holidays
    11. Harry Connick, Jr. - When My Heart Finds Christmas
    12. Johnny Mathis - Merry Christmas
    13. Third Day - Christmas Offerings
    14. Vince Guaraldi Trio - A Charlie Brown Christmas
    15. Various Artist - Billboard Rock-n-Roll Christmas

Seriously, the Chris Isaak one is FABULOUS, and the Chet Atkins CD makes the best "background music."
    Cassie

My Gear: Nikon D300s w/18-200mm VR & 50mm 1.4
    Software: Adobe Photoshop CS4, PSE 10, Lightroom 2

Brian Setzer and Harry Connick, Jr are two of our favorites (we start playing them in July because can you really start celebrating too soon )

I also LOVe the Allie McBeal Christmas(call me a big dork!) great compilation of old and new

Others Cd's that round out our listening
    1. Ray Charles -- The Spirit of Christmas
    2. Glen Miller Orchestra -- In the Christmas Mood
    3. Nat King Cole -- The Christmas Song

I really want to get Alvin and the Chipmunks to relive my childhood Christmas listening

7. OMy gosh. I listened to alvin and the chipmunk constantly when I was a kid. 45's!
    Are they still making music!!!!

may i also add that you can never have enough rat pack and ella? you've got some great choices there cassie, many i already have (what a surprise). and i agree katrina, ray and harry are must haves.

some of my faves:

1. Ella Wishes You a Swingin' Christmas - Ella Fitzgerald
    2. Making Spirits Bright - Dean Martin
    3. Christmas will be Christmas - Lou Rawls
    4. The Polar Express Soundtrack (a favorite of you know who)
    5. Christmas Portrait - Carpenters
    6. Christmas a Time for Peace - Dino Kartsonakis
    7. The Christmas Album - Manhattan Transfer
    8. Snowfall - Tony Bennett
    9. Charlie Brown Christmas
    10. Brian Setzer Orchestra - both CDs
    11. Remembering Christmas - David Benoit

I could go on and on. I just added Chris Botti this morning.

9. I also just bought my mom the Josh Groban Christmas CD, but I haven't heard it yet.
    Cassie

10. Quote Originally Posted by 1gr8muggle View Post
    I also just bought my mom the Josh Groban Christmas CD, but I haven't heard it yet.

I just got this too Cassie, and it is fabulous...his rendition of Ave Maria makes the hair stand up on my arms (legs too, I really need to go shave...)
    Kathie

my gallery

Camera: Nikon D90, Nikon D50
    Lenses: Nikkor: 50 mm 1.4, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, Micro 60mm 2.8G ED, 18-200mm VR, SB-800
    Software: Adobe PSE3 and CS2
    Computer Platform: It may be a PC, but at least it's fast

Brenda Lee Rocks (around the Christmas tree anyways)

My husband had a record growing up of Brenda Lee's Christmas hits. He always daydreamed to the song "Strawberry Snow." I was so amazed at how much this memory meant to him.

Although the record is now long gone, iTunes has all his Brenda Lee favorites. Now it's a tradition for us to sing along with "Strawberry Snow" (his old time fave) and "Marshmallow World" (my new fave) all winter long.

If you have kids, you must try out "Marshmallow World," it's such a cute little Christmas song!

Christmas music!! We have been buying a CD a year forever, and recently told each other "not this year, we have enough". Yeah, right.

Katrina, we have the Ali McBeal as well, and I love it!! So we are co-dorks. ;-) Ella and the Rat Pack are must haves as well, and we play those a lot, along with the Polar Express, and the grandkids LOVE the Chipmunks.

Some of my favs not mentioned yet are anything Mannheim Steamroller, Michael W. Smith's "Christmas" (the only one of his I like) Kenny G's "Miracle" and last year we added Joyfull Strings's "Blessing of Christmas". If you like the Celtic (which we also have several of!) you will also enjoy Joyfull Strings. All the music is played on a hammer dulcimer and is wonderful. We heard it in a store once and had been looking for years...last year we googled it and viola! Gotta love the internet!!

Got to add, I have several hours worth on my iPod and have been playing it in the car for over a month now--my customers think I am a masochist. (I deliver mail!)

13. what a fun thread, this really makes me want to go unpack my garage and dig out some cd's - thats not likely to happen so - i will go over yalls lists and the ones i remember my kids loving and hit itunes, must get an elvis one for my dd, and i alyways love my harry at christmas.....have a lot of christmas movie soundtrack types, just dont recall them off the top of my head! i guess! will be getting josh grobans new one, too!
    shhbabymine (sarah)
    canon rebel xti
    PSE5
    my gallery

Just bought the new John Groban-and Ava Maria is fabulous! We have so many -from rat pack to classical. One I listened to alot last year was Michael Crawford-his rendition of Scarlet Ribbon is wonderful. Michael W. Smith first Christmas CD is also one of my very favorite.

Michael Crawford's cd is amazing. I also enjoy Harry Connick Jr. and Michael Buble, but truly one of my favorites to listen to at Christmas is James Taylor. He has a wonderful rendition of "Baby It's Cold Outside" with Natalie Cole and a few less common songs that I really enjoy: "In the Bleak Midwinter", "Some Children See Him".
    For instrumental music, I go for Kenny G and Mannheim Steamroller.

16. I second the James Taylor! I also love the jazz classics, and Lou Rawls blues stuff. And Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) by U2. But my all-time fav Christmas song is Do They Know It's Christmas? - I guess that dates me in the 80's but it is awesome!!
    Lisa
    Check out My Gallery
    Canon Digital Rebel XTi with 17-85mm IS & 50mm 1.8 lenses, Speedlite 430EX & Gary Fong Lightsphere (clear)
    Adobe Photoshop Elements 4 (Mac)

Quote Originally Posted by lwarren View Post
    But my all-time fav Christmas song is Do They Know It's Christmas? - I guess that dates me in the 80's but it is awesome!!
    Oh I like that one too Lisa...nothing wrong with being dated in the 80's as long as you gave up the hair

18. One of my favorite songs is from an odd combination of singers. Bing Crosby and David Bowie singing Little Drummer Boy

If you love chamber music, which I do, then Christmas Remembered by Judith Lynn Stillman and Friends, is for you. It's timeless classic holiday chamber music.

I've recently heard Josh Grobans Noel Christmas album and it's wonderful. One song brought me to tears, I'll be home for Christmas. It had men and woman from our military telling where they are from and wishing their family a Merry Christmas.

And last but not least Paul Potts One Chance Christmas Edition. He is the gentleman who won Britians Got Talent. His voice gives me chills.
    Kris

My Camera: Canon 50D, 50 mm 1.8, 18-55mm, 75-300mm and Canon 18-200mm EF-S IS Lens
    My Software: PSP X & PSCS2

so as long as we're dating ourselves back to the 80's, is there anyone but me who can rap the lyrics of "christmas in hollis?" cassie, don't disappointment me.

20. Not to disappoint, Myra . . . but I'm rather proud of the fact that I don't know the words to any rap songs. Even the innocent, fun ones of the 80s. But I can sing "We Didn't Start the Fire" for you (not quite as hip, I know.)

What about a new thread of "Which Christmas Song Drives You CRAZY?"

Mine would be "So This is Christmas" by John Lennon. Seriously. And the close second would be "Wonderful Christmastime" by Paul McCartney. I enjoy the Beatles, but those two should have steered clear of the holiday songs.
    Cassie

It was December 24th on Hollis Ave in the dark
    When I seen a man chilling with his dog in the park
    I approached very slowly with my heart full of fear
    Looked at his dog, oh my God, an ill reindeer
    But then I was illin because the man had a beard
    I cheated though

On Cassie's bugged note I have to go with that silly Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer or the Dogs barking Jingle Bells....AHhhhhhhhhhhhhh

23. Well, a bit of sorority hazing involved listening to the carol of the bells for a few hours, so I gotta go with that, but I also cannot stand Wonderful Christmastime & now it is in my head, thank you Cassie !
    Lisa
    Check out My Gallery
    Canon Digital Rebel XTi with 17-85mm IS & 50mm 1.8 lenses, Speedlite 430EX & Gary Fong Lightsphere (clear)
    Adobe Photoshop Elements 4 (Mac)

24. I agree with Wonderful Christmas time, ugh! Another one I can't stand is Barbara Striesands version of "Jingle Bells". It's like she's a 45 record on 78 speed. I heard it at the grocery store one time and it about drove me crazy!
    Kris

My Camera: Canon 50D, 50 mm 1.8, 18-55mm, 75-300mm and Canon 18-200mm EF-S IS Lens
    My Software: PSP X & PSCS2

25. I love Trans Siberian Orchestra Christmas Cannon, Emerson Lake & Palmer's I Believe in Father Christmas, Josh Groban's Oh Holy Night brings me to tears, and don't laugh, I love Donny Osmond's Christmas at Home!

The one I cannot stand is Feliz Navidad. Living in AZ through my teens, we heard it every other song...AUGHHH. and the movie A Wonderful Life....Okay, don't want to see that one again.

Just got Josh Groban....Fantastic!

27. LOL . . . sorry . . . it looks like my suggestion for a second thread turned into a hijack of this one . . . back to the happy songs, people . . . happy songs.
    Cassie

28. When I hear "Last Christmas" from Wham! in the Stores for the first time - that's when I feel all christmas-sy
    ~Dagmar