Thread: 1 son+6 friends does NOT = SLUMBER PARTY

Hybrid View

1 son+6 friends does NOT = SLUMBER PARTY

Biting off more than I can chew - any help here - those who have walked thisfine line of momentary insanity that said YES to having 7 8-10 year olds over for a SLEEPover Birthday party! ITS my first & it just hit me - I KNOW what little girls do at slumber parties - what in the WORLD
    will these 7 boys put me through tomorrow night!!!!
    ANY "busy" ideas???? any "keep my sanity" ideas?
    LOL..............
    shhbabymine (sarah)
    canon rebel xti
    PSE5
    my gallery

2. Dear Sarah:

As a mom of 2 boys (now grown) (and 1 girl)

(1) Expect no sleep
    (2) Lock the doors
    (3) Pray a lot
    (4) Take lots of pictures, might be your last party

Rent lots of movies, hopefully they will sleep by 5. a.m.

PS: It's still better than when "they" hit puberty

Good luck!

3. LOL! Digigal!!!

Oh, boy! Good luck, Sarah! You must check back with us when the party is over!

Can you take them all to a park with playground equipment or a field to play ball in the early part of the evening to let them run off some steam before heading back to your home?

Food is always good! pizza and snacks! Make your own ice cream sundae's at midnight????

When our boys were that age they loved playing board games. Maybe a board game tournament of some kind.

Definitely rent a couple long DVD's for the late evening.

In my experience boys tend to get physically rowdy unless given some structured activities to keep them busy.
    Merrilee

Mac computer/Adobe Creative Cloud: CS and Lightroom; SonyA57

4. Do you have any silly string? Or has that been taken off the market? That can occupy LOTS of time. And, being in Texas . . . I know it's still hot for you . . . nothing takes more time than a water balloon fight. It will take them an hour just to fill them all and tie 'em up.

Clearly, these are all outside activities. In fact, a water balloon fight in the dark would be AWESOME! Then, they can keep busy the next morning cleaning up all the pieces of balloon in the yard.

Cassie

My Gear: Nikon D300s w/18-200mm VR & 50mm 1.4
    Software: Adobe Photoshop CS4, PSE 10, Lightroom 2

5. Oh, boy, Cassie, I forgot about water balloons. Yes, they would love a water balloon fight!
    Merrilee

OH thank you guys - I will have to creative with wearing them out since we are still in the apartment there really is no going outside around here (1 month to go!!).... WISH I could do water balloons - "I" would have a blast with that!
    We rented Star Wars - the oldest one with Harrison Ford - a much much younger Harrison Ford - anyway -its the only one we will let our ds see - so I know its gonna spur all kinds of "rough housing" eeeeeks! Ice Cream at midnight sounds good - sugar rush at 1am sounds CRAZY - LOL, I have bought everything imaginable for bananna splits - and they are making homeade pizza which will help when they first get here....... 16 hours with 7 boys what was i thinking - LOL.....
    shhbabymine (sarah)
    canon rebel xti
    PSE5
    my gallery

7. Do you have any games that are very "active" like Cadoo? That's a really good one. It's a mixture of all kinds of games and has the kids acting things out and having a good time. My nieces & nephews LOVE it. It involves clay!

Card games would be good, too. Look 'em up on line. There are some great ones that are fast paced . . . I think "spoons" maybe? Easy and fun.

As silly as it may sound . . . play-doh is a huge hit still. Imagine the silliness of midnight play-doh. I'm sure they'd make some interesting things.

Then there's the "get 'em quiet" but also have some fun . . . "I'm going on a camping trip and I'm taking a . . . " have the first kid finish the sentence with something that starts with "A." Then have the second kid start it off and say the "a" thing then add "and a (something that starts with a 'b'). You go around the circle with each boy repeating the things that have already been said and then adding something with the next letter of the alphabet. This also may sound silly for a bunch of boys, but I taught 5th graders for 4 years, and even they still loved to play this sort of thing. Like I said . . . for some "quieter" time.

Also . . . paper football. On the dining room table. Boys can play this for a long time. Do you know what I'm talking about? The folded paper triangle "flicked" through the finger field goal at the end of the table?

OH! And the BEST thing you can do with them . . .

Give each of them a straw (preferably the 'bendy' kind). Have them squeeze one end of it between the armpit, in the fold of their elbow, under their knee . . . anywhere there is a joint that will "trap" it between flesh. Then they put the other end in their mouths and blow. As they change the tightness of their squeeze on the end in the joint, the "beautiful bodily function" song will change its tune.

A fifth grader taught me that one and I of course taught all the nieces and nephews. Needless to say, we have a good time when Aunt Cassie's around. Even the adults in the room can't help but laugh. And I mean full-belly-bounce laughs. Tears even. Especially if done around midnight.

Okay. That's all. Have fun!
    Cassie

Cassuie, can I book you for future party appearances please?

hahah I love these ideas. Cassie you are officially the best saleswoman and party planner....

10. Quote Originally Posted by sam ellis View Post
    hahah I love these ideas. Cassie you are officially the best saleswoman and party planner....
    This is why I got in trouble for talking in school. I'm the *best* at anything that involves flappin' my gums.
    Cassie

11. Other jobs Cassie is qualified for:
    Boy Scout Leader
    Camp Counselor
    Special Events Planner
    Activity Director for Cruise Ship Line
    Nanny
    Ask Jeeves Moderator (oh, oh, a Google search informs me Jeeves has retired as homework helper, but the site Ask for Kids has taken his place)

Anyway, Cassie, I picture you sitting at a great big "Help" Desk. We're lucky you hang your hat here with us!
    Merrilee

12. LUCKY indeed!!! WOW - these ideas are perfect - I do have Cadoo & hadnt even thought about finger football but ds has 2 computerized board-style football & baseball games I might have to dig out of a box.....
    OH - HOW are those noises going be tonight.......
    goodness this just made my day so much brighter (seriously DH has been questioning my intelligence all morning over the IDEA of kids here!)
    I am going to make a schedule and POST it on a dry erase board & let DS pick out the activities to fill int he time slots.
    Off to order Cassie's desk plaque "SUPER WOMAN" should be sufficient?
    {THANK YOU, ALL}
    shhbabymine (sarah)
    canon rebel xti
    PSE5
    my gallery

13. Oh, just to add - I JUST told my ds that they could make well, "bodily noises" with STRAWS - he is still laughing all the way to his room.... thanks Cassie!
    shhbabymine (sarah)
    canon rebel xti
    PSE5
    my gallery

14. How did it go Sarah?

(she never came back with updates, I think she must still be in shock LOL)
    Michelle

From Downunder! My DD Gallery!
    Memory catcher: Canon IXUS 800 IS and Rebel/EOS 400D
    Creative tool: Photoshop CS 3