Thread: Colour schemes

Colour schemes

Hi Everyone,

I am having trouble deciding/choosing a colour combination. I am getting married in October of this year. The wedding is going to be small (around 50 ppl). We have the venue (a golf course). The ceremony will be (fingers crossed for nice weather) held outside at lunchtime with a lunch buffet after words, so therefore not very formal. It is not a very 'traditional' wedding and we are doing most of the work ourselves (ie, center pieces, my bouquet, small keepsake for all guests). I finally found my dress and I couldnt do anything for colours until I had my dress as I am not wearing the traditional white. My dress is a dark teal. Now I am stuck on what 1 or 2 colours to go with for my decorations and clothing for everyone in the wedding party. I am drawn more to a rustic look for center pieces but I am also stuck on chalkboard (maybe combine these 2 looks?) Any suggestions on what colours would go good with teal that would be "fall" like. I was thinking of Scott being dressed in a dark grey pants, white shirt and dark grey vest with a tie to match my dress. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I am starting to panic as I need to start getting this stuff done and am having a huge mental block!!!

Thanks in advance
    Erin
    Erin

My camera- Canon Rebel SL1, my IPhone SE
    My lenses- EF 50 mm f/1.4, EF-S 18-55mm IS f/3.5-5.6, EF-S 55-250mm IS f/4-5.6
    PSE 14

There are lots of these sorts of posts/mood boards on the web (including Pinterest) which might help you visualize the colors and theme - https://www.theknot.com/real-weddings/fall-albums

How exciting. Congrats. My sister had a fall wedding with teal bridesmaids dresses and the flowers pulled in purple in addition to teal and white so that is a possibility.
    Shannon

My daughter had her wedding in September a few years ago. Her colors were burnt orange and plum. Burnt orange would be pretty with teal, as orange and blue are complementary colors. The suggestions above for Pinterest and the Knot are great as well. A fabulous place for color is www.design-seeds.com has nothing but color families all created for you.

I was thinking burnt orange too but wasn't sure if as far as dress color for others whether that would work for everyone's skin tones but I also think it would be a good accent color with teal and something else??? Or teal, purple and green? I found this bouquet that is really pretty.
    Shannon

Well, firstly - congratulations.
    I love the peacock feather as inspiration!
    In fact, if you search the gallery here for "teal autumn" you can see many inspiring color palettes in the products!
    (http://www.designerdigitals.com/digi...ds=teal+autumn)
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5 MII
    Lenses: for the 7D - Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4, for the OM-D - 45mm f1.8, 7.5mm f3.5 (fish-eye), 12-40mm f/2.8 and 40-150mm f/2.8
    Software: Photoshop and Lightroom CC, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My travel blog: snippets Flickr Gallery: esther_a

Oh how exciting Erin, I'm thrilled.

Kim is our resident colour palette expert here, hopefully she'll chime in.

Congratulations.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

Oh fun!! I do have an idea! Let me get my kids home and to bed and I'll try to find some time to pull up some examples!!

My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, 100mm f/2.8
    My Platform - iMac
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

I have a few ideas for you for colors, you can see what combo suits your style and the look you are going for.

I really like the teal and metallic look.

Another idea is teal and a red wine (then again, red is my favorite color)

Teal and orange could be beautiful as well.

Or Teal and yellow.

My Platform - iMac

Or a combo of metallic, red whine, orange and yellow. This example has a bit of a rustic touch to it.

My Platform - iMac

Best of luck with your choice!! Be sure to let us know what you decide!

My Platform - iMac

Nothing to add color-wise (I think all of Kim's ideas are fab), but just wanted to send my congratulations!
    Kate

Oh heck Erin, now you're in a dilemma with all those amazing examples. Must admit the teal and metallic looks incredible.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Congratulations Erin! Teal is such a rich, gorgeous color! I love all the samples above! Keep us posted!
     photo BLINKIE_zps5f582c74.gif[IMG]
    Software: Photoshop CC 2017, LR CC 2015, Intuos Pen Tablet

Oh, wow! What beautiful color choices! Congratulations!
    Julie

Oh, this is a fun thread to browse in with all of Kim's beautiful examples for wedding colors.

Best Wishes to you, Erin! We will want to see photos, of course!!
    Merrilee

iMac computer/Adobe Creative Cloud: CS and Lightroom; SonyA57

Congratulations Erin! I knew Kim would come through! Fab examples - I love the teal and metallic look but please do let us know what you decide!
    Liz

My camera gear: Nikon D5000, Lenses - Nikon 50mm 1.4 (LOVE!), Tamron 18-200mm 3.5-6.3, Nikon 28-80mm 3.3-5.6
    Computer: iMac
    Software: Adobe Creative Cloud: Photoshop and Lightroom

Kim's colors look so amazing that it almost makes me want to get married again! My bridesmaids were all 80s pink!
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5 MII
    Lenses: for the 7D - Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4, for the OM-D - 45mm f1.8, 7.5mm f3.5 (fish-eye), 12-40mm f/2.8 and 40-150mm f/2.8
    Software: Photoshop and Lightroom CC, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My travel blog: snippets Flickr Gallery: esther_a

Quote Originally Posted by esther_a View Post
    Kims colors look so amazing that it almost makes me want to get married again!
    So true!!

If I could go back 16 years, I would do things so differently. My brother got married 4 months before me and used the colors I wanted. So I went a different route. Now I wish I would have just stuck to what I wanted. Oh well. I'm happily married and that's what really matters.

My Platform - iMac

Thanks everyone for all the ideas/pinterest boards and such! You have no idea how helpful this has been (and fun looking at some colour schemes I had not noticed before)
    Kim-- thanks so much for the ideas. I do love the metallic and the vibrant fall colours. It is off to the craft stores to start hunting (maybe more pinterest first tho lol)
    I am overwhelmed of what I still have left to do but having some colours in mind now is a start. Will keep you posted on what I decide (I just finished my invitation and think I have found my colour scheme)
    Erin

My camera- Canon Rebel SL1, my IPhone SE
    My lenses- EF 50 mm f/1.4, EF-S 18-55mm IS f/3.5-5.6, EF-S 55-250mm IS f/4-5.6
    PSE 14

OMGosh! How wonderful! A big congratulations, Erin! I'm so happy and man, I really can't wait to see your October PL pages now!

And, Kim... you've NAILED it on those fall colors... perfect complement to the teal! Gorgeous! All of them are so gorgeous and makes me want to get married again and do it in the fall!

And for what it's worth... one thought/comment: PEACH is a color that looks good on just about everyone. Some of the oranges and greens and purples aren't flattering to everyone... peach tends to be complementary on most skin tones. (One thing I remembered from my wedding planner and color consultant back in the dark ages... ha!)
    Debi

My DD Gallery: beehive50

Congratulations Erin! What a wonderful thread full of incredible color and wedding ideas. So happy for you and your betrothed.
    Love the idea of a non traditional beautiful teal wedding dress for you. I remarried in 2000 and wore a long, fitted, beaded purple dress and used dried hydrangeas, soft teals, and antiquey beiges.
    Absolutely adore all of Kim's fabulous color schemes and rustic suggestions. Gosh, I think I would make up a big party celebration if Kim would help me with colors and decorations!
    Looking forward to following along as your big day approaches and seeing what you come up with.
    Deep breaths - ENJOY the process and have fun with it.
    Tammie Lynne

Congratulations, Erin. What a wonderful idea to have a non-traditional color for your wedding dress. I'm having fun just looking through those color combinations with the teal. They're amazing and beautiful. Hope you'll post your final ideas. Can't wait to see what you decide.
    Kelly

My DD Gallery

My blog

Camera: Canon SD550, Nikon D80
    Lenses: 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 70-300mm
    Software: PS CS5, PS CC, Picasa, ACDSee 15

Whaaat? Did Tammy say she is having a party and we're all invited? Congrats Erin!
    Sherry

Absolutely Sherry! We'll have a big Montana sky time!
    Tammie Lynne

On my way !!!!!! Hey Tammy on one of our channels here on telly there's a lot of house renovation shows. There's one called "Big Sky Living" (I think). Is that like where you live?
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Yeah! Party here - all ya'll just pick a date! If only we really could....

Carol, most of the shows on TV focus on two primary areas in Montana. The first is what we call the Big Sky area which encompasses the southwest and south central area of Montana, on the east side of the Rocky Mountains, near Yellowstone National Park and the Yellowstone and Gallatin Rivers. It's a spectacular area. Ranching, farming, and big mountains.

The second area made more popular by TV shows is the Bitterroot Valley up to Glacier National Park on the west side of the Rocky Mountains. It too has majestic mountains and a great deal of water.

I live approximately 150 miles north of the Big Sky area and 200 miles east of the Bitterroot Valley/Glacier area on the plains. Our area is referred to as the "Front". We are predominately grains farming and cattle ranching with huge expanses of open prairie. There are smaller mountain ranges all around us but we live below the tree line. The mighty Missouri River runs 1.5 miles north of me and played an important role in the exploration and exploits of Lewis and Clark.

If I understand correctly, your friend Pam lived east of the Big Sky area in the south eastern part of the state. Her terrain was a mix of plains, mountains, and confluence of rivers.

I love it here and can't imagine living anywhere else.
    Last edited by tammielsmith; 07-15-2017 at 06:11 PM. Reason: grammar fixes
    Tammie Lynne

Congratulations Erin! I absolutely love all these colors; so hard to decide. I do love the use of eucalyptus in a teal scheme. Please keep us posted!
    Amy

my gallery

My stuff: Nikon D750; Nikkor f2.8 24-70mm, f2.8 105mm, and f1.4 50 mm lenses; Tamron f2.8 70-200; Photoshop CC, Lightroom, iMac, MacBook