Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendation for new camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie88 View Post
    I have the Canon SL1. I got it for around $500 (canadian) It is lighter and smaller then most DSLR in the canon family. I love it. It uses my other lenses that I had bought and the lens that came with it is pretty good too!! I then splurged and got the 50mm lens(the more expensive one f 1.4 ), which cost more then I spent on the camera. But as many here I find I use my Iphone most often. I have the Iphone SE , its the same camera as the 6S but the phone itself is the same size as the 5 and 5S. And 9 times out of 10 I am very impressed with my photos. If I dont like them I run them thru a photo app. My fave apps right now that are free is 'ecpphoto' (they have tons of actions, for example if the picture is too dark I can add flash or some backlight to brighten it up) and colorstory.
    This is exactly the camera I'm currently looking at purchasing. I also have a Rebel T2i which is on its last legs. DH bought me an EOS70D last year, but I'm finding its just way too cumbersome to carry around when we're traveling so the SL1 looks like a good option. I'm so glad to hear that you like it!
    Jane

Have you checked these DSLR cameras http://holidaybays.com/best-dslr-cam...00-for-travel/? They're all under $500. You can try the Nikon D3300.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisng View Post
    Have you checked these DSLR cameras http://holidaybays.com/best-dslr-cam...00-for-travel/? They're all under $500. You can try the Nikon D3300.
    I just priced that Nikon D3300 elsewhere and you're right, it's coming up at around that range (more with add-ons, naturally), and it looks like a much more manageable size than my bigger DSLR. Thanks for sharing!
    sweetie-pie, schnookums & peanut
    using: Nikon D90, MacBook Pro, PSE15, LR5

Shannon, I'm late to this thread but I transfer my photos wirelessly from my iPhone to my Mac over my home network using the Photo Transfer app. I LOVE this!
    Amy

my gallery

My stuff: Nikon D750; Nikkor f2.8 24-70mm, f2.8 105mm, and f1.4 50 mm lenses; Tamron f2.8 70-200; Photoshop CC, Lightroom, iMac, MacBook

I love the Photo Transfer App too Amy. It's so much easier than connecting with the cord.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy L View Post
    Shannon, I'm late to this thread but I transfer my photos wirelessly from my iPhone to my Mac over my home network using the Photo Transfer app. I LOVE this!

Since I don't have a MAC, I don't think that would help but sounds fabulous. I've only tried to do it once so far but it downloaded all my photos and I wasn't able to just pick and choose which ones I wanted to download. Is that expected behavior? I have been e-mailing myself again since I didn't like that I couldn't control what I wanted to send to my computer.
    Shannon

Actually, I recently stopped using my phone cable to transfer pics, too. I have dropbox on my iPhone and PC. My photos automatically go to my dropbox folder in the cloud and I can download them onto my PC from there (actually I have it set up to happen download via Lightroom - instructions here). So it all happens automatically which is rather nice. I usually hear the "ding" on the computer that a photo has been uploaded the instant I walk in the door!
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5 MII
    Lenses: for the 7D - Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4, for the OM-D - 45mm f1.8, 7.5mm f3.5 (fish-eye), 12-40mm f/2.8 and 40-150mm f/2.8
    Software: Photoshop and Lightroom CC, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My travel blog: snippets Flickr Gallery: esther_a

Esther, that is just too cool! Shannon, with Photo Transfer, you do have the option to choose which photos to move. I move photos all over the place: phone to computer, computer to phone, computer to iPad...I'm addicted lol.
    Amy

my gallery

My stuff: Nikon D750; Nikkor f2.8 24-70mm, f2.8 105mm, and f1.4 50 mm lenses; Tamron f2.8 70-200; Photoshop CC, Lightroom, iMac, MacBook

Shannon, have you tried setting up an automatic sync with Dropbox for your phone photos? I *love* having that to easily get photos on my desktop, which I then archive just as I do my "fancy camera" photos.
    --Stacia

Seattle, WA area
    Digital scrapbooker with PSE 11.0

Quote Originally Posted by esther_a View Post
    Actually, I recently stopped using my phone cable to transfer pics, too. I have dropbox on my iPhone and PC. My photos automatically go to my dropbox folder in the cloud and I can download them onto my PC from there (actually I have it set up to happen download via Lightroom - instructions here). So it all happens automatically which is rather nice. I usually hear the "ding" on the computer that a photo has been uploaded the instant I walk in the door!
    Esther, how funny, I *just* posted the same Dropbox idea to Shannon, before I finished reading the thread. I love that it just syncs without me having to do anything at all.
    --Stacia

Seattle, WA area

I got a small point-and-shoot to take with me to India. It's a Canon SX710. I really like it and the photos were super. BUT it reminded me why I haven't used a P&S for so many years. Having to use an automatic zoom instead of being able to manually zoom means sometimes missing a shot (it takes much longer than adjusting a zoom by hand). And just as bad, it burns through the battery like crazy. I had a backup battery with me, but I still found myself being cautious about using the zoom for fear of using up both batteries on an all-day outing. So that was limiting and frustrating. Still having a camera in your pocket with that kind of zoom is awesome. I did find myself going back and forth between my phone camera and the P&S, though, which was also distracting. Wish those phones had good zooms!

I will likely get a new DSLR sometime this year (if I can squeeze it into my budget) because my beloved Canon T1i was purchased in 2010 and just doesn't have the photo size and quality that I want, especially for using large photos on 12x12 pages. I've been eying the mirrorless cameras. I have a friend who positively loves the one she has, and her photos are gorgeous. It's disappointing to hear about the issues with high ISO and low light, though. I almost never use a flash and rely on high ISO to capture low light photos. And I love good bokeh too. :-( Hmm. I guess I'll have to do more research and try out some options. Thanks for the suggestion about the Canon SL1. Definitely will look into that too!
    --Stacia

Seattle, WA area

Stacia, the noise is not a huge problem, it is just one thing that I notice. The stabilisation on the OM-D more than makes up for that as long as your subject is still. And the sensors are getting better all the time. I LOVE my mirrorless camera!
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5 MII
    Lenses: for the 7D - Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4, for the OM-D - 45mm f1.8, 7.5mm f3.5 (fish-eye), 12-40mm f/2.8 and 40-150mm f/2.8
    Software: Photoshop and Lightroom CC, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My travel blog: snippets Flickr Gallery: esther_a

Thank you, Esther! You're encouraging me. I think I should start to save my pennies.
    --Stacia

Seattle, WA area

I've been doing some looking today hoping to have a new camera before I leave for NY in a few weeks. Does anyone have a Sony HSCHX80? I looks to be the size I want, higher pixels, optical and digital zoom than my current camera, lithium battery (don't want to use AA batteries), and good reviews from what I have read so far. Before I hit the buy button, interested in hearing if anyone here has one and if they like it.
    Shannon

I'm really curious what you chose Sarah (dugarner). A couple of years ago I bought the 450D from a friend who also had focusing problems. He never had sharp photos anymore. I found out he had the focus setting for moving objects. It was such a simple thing to fix!
    For me it was a fun backup camera, but I sold it when I swithed to Nikon in 2015.
    My DD Gallery
    My Scrap Blog

My gear: Nikon D800E, Nikon 24-70mm 2.8, Sigma 150-600mm, Nikon SB400 & SB800

Quote Originally Posted by esther_a View Post
    I do this for years. Not into LR, but I copy them from Dropbox to the right folder on my photo HD.
    My DD Gallery
    My Scrap Blog

My gear: Nikon D800E, Nikon 24-70mm 2.8, Sigma 150-600mm, Nikon SB400 & SB800

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12