Thread: Tagging victory

Tagging victory

I'm sure that everyone has their own process for tagging. Mine is that after acquiring new items, I download them into a folder called "To be tagged". I like to do that so that I can have time to go through them, especially with some of the big wonderful kits that have come out lately. Then after I've used the item, I tag it appropriately and file it under the Designer name (ACDSee). It is a good system that works for me. Tagging kits takes me quite a long time because I try to tag by colour, item, texture, pattern. When a kit has a ton of elements, it takes time.

The problem is that when I get busy, the second, and arguably most important part of the filing process gets put off. It is like having stacks of paper on your desk. You know what they all are, but filing them away becomes a bit overwhelming as the mountain climbs closer to the ceiling. That is what was happening to my tagging file.

Until this week.

I haven't been doing any scrapbooking this week at all because I committed to filing my "To be tagged" folder before I do anything else. Every night I plug away and do about an hour. Ten hours later and I am down to just 5 ITEMS. I am elated!

Time to go SHOPPING again!!!!
    Sarah

My Gear: very old Canon EOS XS
    Software: Photoshop, Lightroom CC, ACDSee16

Oh my goodness! I can't believe you've managed this in 10 hours! I've been plugging away at it for weeks, no months, and it's taken me much longer than that! Ugh! I'm still working through my brushes, got a few more kits to do and then templates. Wish you could be my virtual tagger!
    Liz

My gear: Nikon D5000
    Software: PSE 7

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

Good for you Sarah!

I'm terrified to touch my old kits. There's just soooo much to tag there but I know I'm missing out on items I bought because 1. I liked them and 2. Had ideas for using them! An hour a day does get stuff done as long as the buying doesn't outpace the tagging. Easy to say; hard to do.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

Congratulations! That is a victory. You will be so happy to find your stash by category.

I admit I have given in and accepted that tagging every element was taking too much time. Now that Mavericks has the new tagging system I tag CT kits only. For the rest I have searches saved in Finder that narrow the universe of supplies to a more manageable number, and make it possible for me to scrap with parameters (I.e. all DD PNGs, or all Pertiet word art), and I get much more scrapping done than I did before.

Way to go, Sarah! I know you're feeling good.
    Linda

My gear: Nikon D700; 24-70mm 2.8; 70-200mm 2.8; 105mm 2.8; 50mm 1.4; 150-500mm 5-6.3
    My software: Photoshop CC on a PC; Lightroom 5.2; ACDSee 17

photo blink1_zps1b48dedb.gif DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

congrats! That is a huge task. :O)
    ~Kelly

Woohoo!!! That's a huge achievement!!
    Trace

Yeah but my 'to be tagged' folder got way too big. I fear I'll never finish tagging, and I sooooo want to. You want to practice some more on mine? Tee hee.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

You won't believe it, or maybe you will seeing as I'm technically challenged (as well as blending challenged!) but in my wisdom for more space, I've got myself into a right pickle with tagging my goodies from two different EHD's. Wonderful. I'm now applying metadata (huh?!) to files in the hope that I can bring everything together on one EHD. Oh joy!
    Liz

Lizzie, can you plug both hard drives in at once? And is there room on one hard drive for all of your stuff? If so you can simply open ACDSee and from within ACDSee you can drag your goodies all onto one drive.
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

Esther, yes I can plug both hard drives in at once and yes, I do have a drive that is big enough for everything but... I'm using the organiser in PSE 7... not ACDSee

You wouldn't know a solution for PSE 7 would you? #fingerscrossed!
    Liz

Oh! Sorry! Perhaps someone else knows? Does PSE 7 allow you to move things around? I can't remember!
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4

No problem... I'm now 'reconnecting' my files. A little long winded but at least all is not lost!
    Liz

I don't unzip any folders unless I'm going to tag them. And yes, I too get behind and have that 'pile' staring at me. I am caught up through last week. There's always so many amazing goodies!!
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

Backing up, well that is another issue all together...!!! I know, I know... You are all tsk tsk'ing me.

One day!!
    Sarah

My Gear: very old Canon EOS XS
    Software: Photoshop, Lightroom CC, ACDSee16

Congratulations, Sarah! What a wonderful accomplishment!
    Amy

my gallery

My stuff: Nikon D700; Nikkor f2.8 24-70mm, f2.8 105mm, and f1.4 50 mm lenses; Tamron f2.8 70-200; Photoshop CC, Lightroom, iMac, MacBook

Congratulations, Sarah!! Isn't it a great feeling to have that done?!
    Sharon
    aka - justbnsharon

congratulations, that's awesome!!
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

Lizzie, don't try to move anything around. The PSE Organizer does not like that and it will break the link and cause problems when you try to back up the Organizer. It is way easier to move supplies if tagged in ACDSee, but once you commit to a location with the PSE Organizer you should leave it as is.

A possible plus with using PSE Organizer over ACDSee is that I think you can embed the categories into the files in a standard way so that the individual files can be imported into another indexing application later on. ACDSee has some wacky proprietary way of embedding the tags and you are trapped using their software for ever!

Quote Originally Posted by lizj View Post
    Lizzie, don't try to move anything around. The PSE Organizer does not like that and it will break the link and cause problems when you try to back up the Organizer. It is way easier to move supplies if tagged in ACDSee, but once you commit to a location with the PSE Organizer you should leave it as is.
    Thanks Liz, I kinda found out the hard way! It all started because in my ignorance I'd started my catalog while all my supplies were on a smaller EHD. I've now purchased two bigger ones, one to work on and one to back up to so I'm busy reconnecting my files that were on the smaller one. Overall it's going to add a few hours to my tagging project and I find it quicker to browse to find the missing file than let the software do it's thing and often, once it's found a particular path, it's able to locate some files all by itself! I do a little happy dance when that happens! I just feel I've got to do it because the smaller EHD is now way too small for everything and it's an old one so not that compact! When my SIL saw it he asked 'What is THAT?!'

I'm hoping to conquer the reconnecting this weekend - DH working tomorrow and then I can continue tagging on my new EHD - then backup
    Liz

22. inspiring! my husband just re-did our data storage (yes, to make room for my scrapbook supplies) and his transferring didn't include bringing over my already-tagged stuff. so i'm kinda in the 'paralyzed with too much tagging to do' state while i re-assess what i am going to do. oy. that must feel WONDERFUL to be so caught up!! WTG!!
    heather

Quote Originally Posted by lizziet5 View Post
    Thanks Liz, I kinda found out the hard way! It all started because in my ignorance I'd started my catalog while all my supplies were on a smaller EHD. I've now purchased two bigger ones, one to work on and one to back up to so I'm busy reconnecting my files that were on the smaller one. Overall it's going to add a few hours to my tagging project and I find it quicker to browse to find the missing file than let the software do it's thing and often, once it's found a particular path, it's able to locate some files all by itself! I do a little happy dance when that happens! I just feel I've got to do it because the smaller EHD is now way too small for everything and it's an old one so not that compact! When my SIL saw it he asked 'What is THAT?!'

I'm hoping to conquer the reconnecting this weekend - DH working tomorrow and then I can continue tagging on my new EHD - then backup
    That is an amazing accomplishment. I am not that brave. I hate that browse for missing file message during the back up!