Thread: Getting rid of memories

Getting rid of memories

I have to admit that I am a bit of a wreck tonight and when I think about it, I can't pinpoint why.

We are moving in a few weeks and I have to pack up. I'm organized, not overwhelmed, doing a few boxes each night, no problem. Until I hit the kids room with the secret cupboard. In that cupboard, I've squirreled away all their baby clothes. Yes, all three kids, all their clothes. While all my friends have wisely consigned all the clothing that is too small as the kids grow up, for some reason, I am absolutely compelled to keep it. All of it. When I think about giving away all the baby nighties and onsies, I burst into sobs. Every single outfit has sentimental value and I can't figure out why I am so attached to it all. I have lovely photos and books to remember everything about when they were little, but getting rid of the physical clothing is really causing me trouble.

Why am I so attached to their clothing??? I don't wish for another little one. I have no one that I am saving it for. I just can't let it leave our house. It feels like I am giving way the memories of them as babies.

Strange.

Please, if you experience this or have any suggestions for how to make this easier, please let me know how you deal with this.
    Sarah

My Gear: very old Canon EOS XS
    Software: Photoshop, Lightroom CC, ACDSee16

I found it hard to give away too - and in fact in the attic there is a large box of DD's favourites clothes for handing down to grandchildren. (One advantage of being aged parents is you can pretend that that might not be as far away as it could be - though I imagine they will be like most of our friends and not have kids till they are in their 40s too LOL)

Save the ones with the most sentimental value, wrap them in tissue and allow yourself just one box?

I gave many to my sister years ago, thank goodness, or else I'd have a huge box full of onesies to sob over, too! I do have a few special things from each of the girls. It probable means nothing to them but it does to me. I need to get them organised.
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

If you have room, box them into nice plastic bins with some lavender or cedar, and deal with this later in your life. Leaving the house AND the clothes may be just too much for you now.

Or if it's really necessary to trim down the amount, pick the 'best' and take the remainders, maybe with your children, to a women's shelter so they know their clothes are going to a baby/child who needs clothes saturated with loving memories. Bring tissues!
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/Mavericks
    PSE11/LR5

We moved so often in our early childhood years it was impossible to save them all - and I don't think I was as sentimental over them as I would be now. However, I did give some of Tricia's clothes to a friend without pulling out the special ones I would have kept. The box was never returned and that I do feel bad about. However, I did keep a couple newborn outfits from each of them - including the "going home from the hospital" outfit that their daddy picked out and the afghans that my mother made. I've given them each this treasure as they have had their children. My thought is that if you have room pack them away and keep them. If you don't have room and must let some of them go take pictures of them and some day you might even do a book with the memories that are attached to each outfit. That would be a fun gift for each of them someday down the road!

I had saved Christopher's cowboy belt (just because he loved it and looked so cute in it!) and you can imagine how pleased I was the day I received a picture of Ellie wearing it!!
    Sharon
    aka - justbnsharon
    DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

6. I have three girls and saved some (not all) of their little Feltman dresses and other smocked dresses. Now, I have four granddaughters and it has been such fun to see them wearing them. I have one daughter who pitches almost everything, another who saves some and one who has been in sobs this summer as she cleans out and makes herself take many to a consignment store. So, I guess it depends on who you are. If you have a place for them in the new home, keep them!!

I understand.....( I had the same idea as Sharon).....I have been tossing around in my mind taking a photo of those special outfits now, and then finding a photo of the child wearing the same outfit from long ago and then scrapping a page about those special outfits and the memories that I hold so dear. I am also thinking of doing the same with a few old shirts and handkerchiefs of my Dads.....and the dress that my Mom wore to my wedding. Then maybe....only maybe, I can get rid of them.
    Pam

My Stuff: Nikon D80, Nikkor 50 mm 1.4, Nikkor 18 - 135mm, Nikkor 80 - 200mm, Speedlight SB-600 and my Epiphanie Lola Camera Bag!
    Software: Dell Studio XPS, PSE 11 and Bamboo Fun

yes, each time I moved or even just moved the room round, where the baby favourites were kept, I gave away some.
    I have now just a couple of fav items... and a box of old school work LOL from Kal and georgia's childhood. I think having a lot of scrapbook layouts to look back on seriously helped me , I could write my thoughts and save those 'oh you always wore that coat' photos without needing the actual coat.
    whatever you do decide to do, don't give yourself such a hard time for feeling like this. It is not 'wrong' to keep things, altho our society makes us feel like that sometimes. I agree with above, sounds like a lot of change all at once. be kind to you
    read all about it!... -->http://britgirl.typepad.co.uk/
    My DD gallery!
    I use; CS6 and LR5 on my beloved iMac!
    I'm a Canon girl I have a 5D MRK II.

Oh Sarah, I do feel for you! It's hard to let those sorts of things go! I know Jodie (my eldest) has some links to companies that will take the items of clothing and make them into a quilt, a soft toy, or something for you that you (or your kiddos) will have for years to come - in the form of something else that is practical and useful! I'll try and find the links for you and will pm you just to give you an idea of the things they can do, just in case you choose to go down this route instead of boxing up those little pieces of clothing that you can't part with!
    Liz

My gear: Nikon D5000
    Software: PSE 7

I cry every time I go through my kids closets. I did force myself to give away or sell most of their clothes. It was TOUGH!!! Lots of tears. I did keep some favorite items for each of them. But, I agree save them for now and deal with it later. Give yourself time

My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3

Instagram

Thanks everyone for your wonderful ideas, and for the affirmation that I'm not alone in being sentimental about the kids clothes. I've left it for the weekend and will go back again at the beginning of the week to pick out a few faves to keep in a box to move with us. I am going to try to do a page about it....nothing like scrap-therapy!
    Sarah

My Gear: very old Canon EOS XS
    Software: Photoshop, Lightroom CC, ACDSee16

When it came time for me to say goodbye to my children's onesies...it was tough. What I did, was fold the onesie so that it would fit onto a 12x12 page and attached it to that page. (This was still in my 3D paper scrapbooking phase) So I combined the best of two worlds: not giving away the actual clothing AND scrapbooking it. Of course, that only worked with the littlest of the clothing.
    Lorna

My toys: Canon EOS 5D, 24-105mm, 70-200mm, macro 100mm
    My software: PSE v12, ACDSee Pro2
    My platform: I'm a Mac
    My blog: www.idiosyncrazies.wordpress.com

Photobucket

Hi Sarah,

thanks for your post. Last week we had a flood here and it had some devastating effects on the house we rented. All the things that were stored in the basement are destroyed & the house is uninhabitable for several months. I think i was pretty tough managing this catastrophe - organizing a new flat, a truck, people to help us pack our things & furniture, find a place to store them until we find a new home.... all this during taking care of my 9 months old daughter. What finally made me cry was when i found my daughters baby clothes in the rubbish on the street - all the little sizes were stored in the basement and soaked with water & oil. This really knocked me out.
    But what gave me some comfort was, that a found a box in my daugher´s room in wich i stored those things i really loved for her: a jumper my sister knitted for my daughter,a pyjama (the first one with no feet..... i thought she would die by sleeping with cold feet!), her first little socks..... I´m glad to have these things - and i will never store them in the basement!!!!
    Hope you will find a good way to deal with your kids baby clothes!

Uly

Maruma, what a terrible thing to happen! I hope you did not have too many special things in your basement. I cannot imagine how awful that must have been!
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

Sarah, do you know anyone who quilts? As a 'maybe' solution for the future (not for now, just box them and take them with you!), I have seen some absolutely beautiful quilts made from baby clothes. Each square, or patch as it were, is a piece of a garment that might include the sweetest part - a row of little buttons, or a fancy little pocket or piece of cute embroidery. Not a job for a beginner - but it might be an idea to investigate?
    In the meantime - enjoy them!
    xx
    Sharon