Thread: In my element...

Smile In my element...

Hello ladies!!
    Yesterday a guy I know loaned me his 'bag of lenses' to have a play with...
    a bag of AMAZING Canon Lenses...
    all L lenses...
    gorgeous, primes - 28mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.2, 85mm f/1.2, 100mm f/2.8 (macro) & the beast that is the 70-200mm IS f/2.8
    Am I in heaven?
    You betcha!
    Just a shame I will have to hand them back!
    Anyways - he's going to let me borrow them for a dear friends wedding in just a few weeks. I will have 3 bodies and plan to take 3 lenses. I was thinking of the 35mm, 50mm and the macro. I know the zoom will be amazing but honestly it's just too big for me (I think I might break my wrist!!).
    Right choice/wrong choice?!
    (I would like to take the 85mm but again these bad boys are so heavy!)
    Any help/advice gladly taken!
    Georgina
    My camera: Canon 5D Mark II
    Lenses: 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    Software: PSE 7 and Lightroom 3.7

That sounds like a good choice. I have those lens and love them all but agree the weight is REAL!!

Have fun at the wedding!!

Three bodies....which ones?? would love to know.
    just call me Uma

I guess I SHOULD remove the blinkie.
    BUT I'm not gonna!

The 'bodies' in question - my Canon 5D Mark 2, my mums Canon 60D and a friends Canon 5D Mark 2. Camera heaven! I WILL be the best dressed gal at the party! LOL! )
    Georgina

Child. You are speaking my language.

Camera as clothing. Oh yeah.

Love that you will have a body for each lens and be able to just shoot without having to change lens.

Have fun. It is a sweet moment in the Universe - recording the beauty of love vows.
    just call me Uma

BUT I'm not gonna!

Crickey! You will look quite the professional with all that gear! I would have trouble choosing, too, but I know weight can be a big issue (almost enough to push me to join a gym!).
    I wonder if there is enough difference between the 35mm and 50mm, and perhaps you could take the 85mm instead of the 50?
    I do love borrowing my friend's 70-200mm IS f/2.8, but I usually use it on a tripod - and I'm not carrying three other cameras at the same time!
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

Quote Originally Posted by esther_a View Post
    Crickey! You will look quite the professional with all that gear! I would have trouble choosing, too, but I know weight can be a big issue (almost enough to push me to join a gym!).
    I wonder if there is enough difference between the 35mm and 50mm, and perhaps you could take the 85mm instead of the 50?
    I do love borrowing my friend's 70-200mm IS f/2.8, but I usually use it on a tripod - and I'm not carrying three other cameras at the same time!
    My first thought was "What a great friend!" Wowee... awesome opportunity for you and I hope you can share some of the photos with us after! I'm sure they'll be amazing no matter which lens you wind up using!

And, I am sooooo not a photographer and sooooo not the one to ask, but I had the same thought as Esther (who IS an amazing photographer!)... I'd think about the 85mm over the 50mm, too. My (very cheap!) two cents. And, and I have lugged around my 70-200mm f/2.8 to about a thousand soccer games and yep, it's heavy. I've not taken a tripod 'cuz I have to move around all the time, so I use a monopod. Just sayin'...

Do you get to try the lens first? Maybe have a pretend shoot (use those cute kids of yours!) and try them out...? Have fun "shopping"!
    Debi

My DD Gallery: beehive50
    My Camera: Canon 60D
    (Lens: 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, 70-200mm f/2.8)
    My Software: Photoshop/Lightroom Creative Cloud
    My Platform: Dell PC w/Wacom "Bamboo" Tablet

Thank you ladies! On forums many folk say there's not much difference between the 35 and 50 so maybe I will go for the 85. They are all here for me to try out! It was the weight of the 85 that was putting me off a little but I haven't played with it yet so I will give it a whirl. X
    Georgina

Debi is too kind. I do NOT consider myself to be an amazing photographer; I am rarely happy with my photos and am not confident enough to shoot a wedding, but I thought my 2c worth was better than nothing since I've played with most of those lenses a little.
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

That is awesome! I am also thinking the 35 and the 50 are too close. I'd rather go with the 35, instead of the 50. You want something for wider, but you also want to be able to get closer without getting closer (i.e. you'd want a longer range also) - think, you can't get "in their faces" at all times. So I think the 85 would be awesome in addition. Depending on how long the macro is? 105? Then that would be cool instead.

Good luck - you are one brave gal. I would never have had the guts to do a wedding....

***Sorry, I wrote the answer before reading the updated page**
    * Aino *

My gallery

: Nikon D4S & Nikon Df with various lenses.
    : Lightroom and PSCS6

Georgina, you have GOT to have someone take your photo with the arsenal for a scrap page! Please please.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

One note about the 85. Make sure you don't try to use it at 1.2f!! The depth of field is so narrow you could only use it for still life....rings, etc.

Practice A LOT with it because it is tricky. Or use it at a higher f-stop.

Love Carol's suggestion. We need to see you!!
    just call me Uma

BUT I'm not gonna!

Wow, what an opportunity (and responsibility LOL) I only did one wedding for a friend and I used my 70-200 a few times, just because at times there is no way to get close enough for good shots, especially in a Catholic Church. You will have a blast and no matter what, your photos are going to be awesome, they always are!!
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

So very exciting! And how wonderful for your friend to let you borrow his amazing stash of glass!! Hope you share a few of your favorite photos with us!
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

Wow, what an amazing opportunity to try out such a wide selection of lenses! A dream!! Please do share...especially a pic of you with all the gear!
    Sarah

My Gear: very old Canon EOS XS
    Software: Photoshop, Lightroom CC, ACDSee16

When is the wedding Georgina? Has it been and gone yet? And how did you go?
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

The wedding is on Friday. Gulp! I'm excited and nervous all at the same time! At the moment the weather is looking changeable - typical isn't it? After weeks of fine, dry weather a wet front is creeping in for the weekend. Fingers crossed we can beat the showers!
    Georgina

Good luck Georgina - I know you'll ace it!
    Liz

My gear: Nikon D5000
    Software: PSE 7

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif