Thread: What do I do

What do I do

I have never printed any of my LO's but need to now. What do I do to my PSD file? Flatten it? What resolution? Thanks ladies for the help> I purchased ahead at persnickity prints!
    Kathryn~
    http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d65/digigrandma/doodlebanner1.gif

I always use the "save as" feature and I save as jpeg at 12, which is the best resolution. Might be a bit overkill, but that's just me. So far I have been keeping the PSD files as well, which is a little silly and takes up a lot of room. Smart move to buy ahead at Persnickety, that's what I do too
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

I have a free action ( Christy Van Derwall ) which can save the psd as various sized jpgs, including as a web sized image and a print sized. I usually make my print quality 10 not 12 just to keep the size down and it's what Shari at Persnickety says is enough for scrapbookers. Then I run a brightening action on both images.

Ditto Anke's rec to get print credits at their sales...next one is October but you can upload your images now, buy the credits at sale time, and then print. I bought 100 credits last time and my 52 page Spain and Portugal book is taking a good chunk of that!
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

Thank you, Should I then just save the whole folder of the jpeg images and upload it by the whole folder or do you have to do 1 by 1.
    Kathryn~

I came from paper scrapping and the first time I printed a digi page, I was really disappointed. I don't care for digi pages printed like photos, but I love, love, love them when they are printed in a book. So I save up my pages and print them in books. I wait until Shutterfly or Photobook America has a sale and so far it has cost about 1.00 a page.

So, you might want to get a page printed before you order all of them to be printed, so you can see what you like. Costco prints 12x12 and so does Walgreens, I think.
    Valerie

Imagine the possibilities...and Happy, Happy, Happy!
    PSE12

6. Quote Originally Posted by kjvy-town View Post
    Thank you, Should I then just save the whole folder of the jpeg images and upload it by the whole folder or do you have to do 1 by 1.

I'm glad you're ready to get your beautiful layouts printed, Kathryn. There is nothing quite like seeing all your hard work in print!

You'll have to check how to do it at whatever site you choose for printing. I upload my layouts as I create them to Shutterfly, however, you can also upload several at one time. You add them to their upload window one at a time and then click on the upload button and all of them magically appear in folders you've made on the site. I keep mine in these separate albums on Shutterfly until I'm ready to have them printed in separate books.

I know many people like to print the individual pages and then slip them into their own albums because then you can always change them around. I happen to love the printed books and have become quite addicted to creating them. When I made heritage books for my side of the family and my dh's side of the family, I was able to order extra copies as gifts for other family members. They really appreciated the gifts!

In addition to Shutterfly I have used Photobook America and Pickaboo for my printed books. I wait for coupons or deals!
    Merrilee

Mac computer/Adobe Creative Cloud: CS and Lightroom; SonyA57

I agree, just do a few to see if you like them. I know that most stores have several types of finishes available ie matte, metallic, etc. If you request,many will send you samples to choose from. I like both types,individual printed pages like a big photo and I have done many of the books and they are always well received as gifts.The store employees always tell me to save at very high values--it always yields the best print.
    Pam

8. Quote Originally Posted by ValerieP View Post
    I came from paper scrapping and the first time I printed a digi page, I was really disappointed. I don't care for digi pages printed like photos, but I love, love, love them when they are printed in a book. So I save up my pages and print them in books. I wait until Shutterfly or Photobook America has a sale and so far it has cost about 1.00 a page.

So, you might want to get a page printed before you order all of them to be printed, so you can see what you like. Costco prints 12x12 and so does Walgreens, I think.
    Good advice, Valerie!!
    Merrilee

Such an exciting time! I didn't print for a long time either, now I print a few times a year! I love being able to stick up on prints from PP! Happy uploading!
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

Thank you all for great advise. I will let you know!
    Kathryn~

I've only ever printed mine into photo books - I flatten my psd file and like Anke, I save it as a JPEG at the highest resolution possible. As I'm a hoarder I keep both psd and JPEG files... just in case, but I know it's taking up a huge a lung of space and sooner or later I know I'm going to have to address this pesky space issue!

I absolutely love my photo books, they just look so professional which I love. Having said that, I am thinking about just getting them printed and putting them in an album myself purely from a cost effective point of view but the jury's still out on that one!

Whichever way you go Kathryn, I'm sure you'll love seeing your fabulous work 'in print' whichever way you go!
    Liz

My gear: Nikon D5000
    Software: PSE 7

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

Thanks Liz, I was getting nervous after reading some of these. I'm hoping they will go along with the years of paper scrapbooking I did. I cant wait to see them as I will be putting them in the kids albums. I will fill you in when I get them back.
    Kathryn~

I think you will be happy with them. When my Persnickety box arrives it is like Christmas

My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3

Instagram

Have fun, Kathryn! This reminds me that I need to print my pages!
    Amy

my gallery

My stuff: Nikon D700; Nikkor f2.8 24-70mm, f2.8 105mm, and f1.4 50 mm lenses; Tamron f2.8 70-200; Photoshop CC, Lightroom, iMac, MacBook

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

I try to do a couple albums a year for the everyday photos and then a special album for vacations and for Christmas. It so nice to see the collection growing on our shelf! The kids love grabbing books and looking through all the memories, which is so rewarding for me. I have never done individual pages because I've never found an album that I like to keep them in. The downside of a book is that I inevitably find errors on the pages (typos, etc.) that can't be fixed once it is in a book. Perhaps one day, if I am more organized, I will print off a page first, inspect it and then save it for a book! Note to self!

I format my pages the same as the others (Flattened JPG) and then I keep the original, although I save as TIFF...can't remember why? Space or so that I can preview them?? Hmm.... Good luck Kathryn!
    Sarah

My Gear: very old Canon EOS XS
    Software: Photoshop, Lightroom CC, ACDSee16

Kathryn when you see the first one printed and in your hands you will be in awe and wonder why you didn't before.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

Thanks everyone...can't wait to see them, it also will mean I will be done with these books and can return to a more relaxed scrapbooking!
    Kathryn~

Yay!!! Got my first prints today and I am beyond happy with them, I was worried I wouldnt like them after all the years of paper LO'S. They are beautiful and look very professional. I definitely can see some of them up in frames in my office! Thanks for all the advise and you were right , it was like Christmas morning!!
    Kathryn~

19. Quote Originally Posted by kjvy-town View Post
    Yay!!! Got my first prints today and I am beyond happy with them, I was worried I wouldnt like them after all the years of paper LO'S. They are beautiful and look very professional. I definitely can see some of them up in frames in my office! Thanks for all the advise and you were right , it was like Christmas morning!!
    Oh, this is great to hear that you are happy with your printed results, Kathryn. You do beautiful work!
    Merrilee

Yay! So glad you liked them!

My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3

Instagram