Thread: Sarah ( sterkeurs) How did you do it?

Sarah ( sterkeurs) How did you do it?

I'm glad your Max layout was picked as a favorite, because I wanted to ask you to please tell how you shadowed those triangles to look like cut outs. Then I forgot. I see the inspiration was a paper layout that was really cut! Yikes what work that would be to cut and stitch.

I hope you will share you technique here. Tia!
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/Mavericks
    PSE11/LR5

Me too!! Inquiring minds want to know!!
    Sharon
    aka - justbnsharon
    DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

Sarah must be playing somewhere!
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5

haha! Sorry ladies, I am away on a girls' weekend and am just getting to DD now!! I did see your question and was working on a response, but my wifi here has been intermittent...mostly interrupted by shopping!!!

It was actually not too difficult and I'm sure that there are other ways of doing it, but here is what I did (if I can remember).

1. I drew the triangles with the shape tool (Ctrl J duplicates the layer, then I just flipped them) and then merged them together into one layer
    2. I put a piece of paper on a layer above the shapes (make sure it is rasterized so that you can made changes to it)
    3. click on the icon of the shape layer in the layers panel using the Ctrl key - you should see marching ants around the shapes.
    4. switch to the paper layer (with marching ants still on the shapes) and hit delete. The paper should disappear from just the area above the shapes
    5. you can then delete the shapes layer and put something underneath to peek through!
    5. add a drop shadow to the top paper layer and you are done!

Let me know if you have any troubles and maybe I can take some screen shots as I do it.

Can't wait to see your creations!!!
    Sarah

My Gear: very old Canon EOS XS
    Software: Photoshop, Lightroom CC, ACDSee16

there is another way called inner drop shadow
    which you apply to the element you want to look cut out. which is actually on top!

my PS version is german, so I try to translate. I hope it works.
    you choose filling method: multiply.
    colour: black:
    75 % opacity;
    distance and size: about 2 px at 300 dpi each (you have to play around here depending on the size of the cut out element.)
    I saved this as a style. so whenever I want sth. cut out, it's done with a click.

the advantage of doing this is that you can change things around easily because I haven't really cut out anything.

I hope I make sense.
    if not, please don't hesitate to ask ;-)
    have a wonderful sunday!
    e.

Thank you both very much! Sarah, I used your method because I'm sure it's the one I learned and forgot, learned and forgot...etc. Lego, I've never made my own drop shadows, relying on PSE's built in's as well as Katie's. I'll have to try that sometime. Creating my own styles and actions is one of the few reasons I'd like to have the full Photoshop, but not enough to buy!

Maureen
    PSE11/LR5

This looks fab Maureen! Thanks to Sarah and Elisabeth, I'm hoping to get around to giving it a whirl some time!
    Liz

My gear: Nikon D5000
    Software: PSE 7

8. Thanks for sharing Sarah and Elisabeth. I love it when we can learn from each other.
    Brenda

Thanks so much for the information!! I can't wait to try it out!
    Sharon
    aka - justbnsharon

Wow, love that layout! Great that it worked for you. I can't wait to try out the other way of doing this as well. Love learning new ways! of doing things.
    Sarah

My Gear: very old Canon EOS XS
    Software: Photoshop, Lightroom CC, ACDSee16

Elisabeth, I thought about your idea over night and it makes me think that by adding the shadows to the shapes it will LOOK cut out but not be cut out in reality, right? Because the shape is on top, you could clip something to it e.g a photo, paper etc. Am I correct here? I hope to see if I can test this out today - and see if I can do a shadow.
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5

Love this look, ladies -- can't wait to give it a try!
    Linda

My gear: Nikon D700; 24-70mm 2.8; 70-200mm 2.8; 105mm 2.8; 50mm 1.4; 150-500mm 5-6.3
    My software: Photoshop CC on a PC; Lightroom 5.2; ACDSee 17

photo blink1_zps1b48dedb.gif DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

It looks great, thanks for sharing!
    Kathryn~
    http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d65/digigrandma/doodlebanner1.gif

14. Thanks for sharing how you have done this!!
    Kathie

my gallery

Camera: Nikon D90, Nikon D50
    Lenses: Nikkor: 50 mm 1.4, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, Micro 60mm 2.8G ED, 18-200mm VR, SB-800
    Software: Adobe PSE3 and CS2
    Computer Platform: It may be a PC, but at least it's fast