Thread: Too many photos?!

Too many photos?!

I'm in the process of reorganizing how I store my photos (raw vs jpg). Thankfully I can use Lightroom to move the photos around in bulk. But I just realized I am almost up to 100,000 photos, taking up 1,000 GB on my hard drive! I think it's time to do some serious culling!
    What about you?
    Any tips on how to keep your photo library under control?
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

Photo library? You mean we are meant to sort the photos too ;-)
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

Well, my "library" system is very simple - one folder by month. But it is something.
    I don't believe for one minute that you don't have some sort of system, too, Miss Carol!!
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4

I have no system.... ok so my system is a folder per event or time or whatever takes my fancy. I take too many photos. period. But thats who I am and i am not fighting it.
    my blog
    my gallery

Tools of the trade :
    Nikon chick D700 D200 D70
    lenses : 70-200;18-70 50mm 1.4 85mm 1.8 18-200 Flashing chick SB800
    macbookpro chick
    The chick needs - Nikon 24-70 2.8 ed & nikon 70-200 !

Starting in 2014, I utilized Cathy Z's great tip of saving images by week. My iPhoto does that automatically now, and then I export them to my hard drive and cull those images in LR (culling meaning delete from hd). The iPhoto version still has them all so yes I have duplicates but as long as I can afford memory, I'm ok with that. I also tend to delete temporary images at the end of the year (screen shots of books, weather, a map detail or pics taken in stores of things I might by etc) iPhoto does get a bit of cleaning out also. All trips are now exported from iPhoto to the hard drive by Trip and then city and/orday. Otherwise, all my images in iPhoto and copied to my hd are organized by year, starting in 2000.

Then there are the scans...they are not terribly organized but most of them have an identifiable name and the folder is sorted alphabetically. The images from the beginning of time til 2000 (about our entry into digital) are boxes of work for someday. I got as far as sorting by general decade but somehow that has never continued into the winter project I had hoped it would be.

1T's worth of images??? that is a lot.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

Personally, I never delete photographs. Even the blurry ones come in handy sometimes. I'd copy the ones I like to a new drive and then store the old set in a safe location. I also save PSD files always. If I were going to delete, I'd delete the JPG because you can always recreate them and your JPGs will be stored at the Photo Printing Site. I'm the same way with photo edits, I always save the original and then recreate the edits if I have to. I figure that software is always improving and maybe the edits will be better in the future.

Ah, the iPhone! I have NO system for organizing those photos! They keep auto-synching to some folder on my computer but usually they are rubbish so I delete them!

I organize by year, month, day. But, I'm with you... there are so many that aren't worth keeping but a huge pain to go through!

My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3

Instagram

I organise mine by year/month but mine are in serious need of going through and deleting the rubbish ones - and there are load of them! I'm getting better at getting rid of the rubbish ones when I download from my camera, it's just previous years that are still a work in progress!
    Liz

My gear: Nikon D5000
    Software: PSE 7

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

I import into LR by year> month

My hard drive is almost full, and hey are all backed up on my EHD, but I need to clear them off to make room on my hard drive.
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

Add me - I also download from camera to folders by year and month. But often that is as far as the organization goes! This project is on my list for the fall when "empty nest" has me down!!!
    Brenda - wife, mother, animal lover!
    Canon Rebel T3i
    Windows 7 & PSE 11

I do the simplest process possible - year/month and sometimes within the month create a folder for specific event, etc - especially if there are a a ton of photos for an event. While the kids were here I did 500 shots of the girls in their sundresses - and I'm sure I'll never be able to part with one - even if it is just a foot or toe as they ran past!! I do have double backup on 2 EHDs.

Did someone say they had too many photos? Is that possible?
    Sharon
    aka - justbnsharon
    DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

well... I first upload to LR, I delete obvious rubbish. I hand pick my POTD, and I also save any absolute crackers in a monthly folder in my documents {out and away from LR} ... but, I keep all the others on LR even tho I have almost exact copies etc etc.... I really need to cull my lr library .... its just SUCH a big task I start and fail often...
    read all about it!... -->http://britgirl.typepad.co.uk/
    My DD gallery!
    I use; CS6 and LR5 on my beloved iMac!
    I'm a Canon girl I have a 5D MRK II.