Thread: School Out? Summer/Winter Plans?

School Out? Summer/Winter Plans?

Is school out for the summer where you live? I know that schools all over get out and start at different times. I know where I live it's crazy. We have year round school, therefore, Talisa still has another four weeks of school until summer break. Kira however, is done with school for the summer since her preschool was on a traditional schedule. I am eager for summer vacation to start. It's crazy sending her to school with such nice weather. I feel like we should be hitting the pool every day as a family!

And for those that are having a summer break (or winter break soon). What are your fun plans during the break?

We have a short summer (only three weeks), but we plan on going to Denver for our annual vacation. We also hope to hit the water parks that we have annual passes too. With a short summer, it will be hard to cram it all in. Especially since we need to sit back and relax! Which will mean many trips to the library too!

My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

We are hitting the road, and hopefully my sons will be finishing the remodel on our house when we are gone. We have been working on a cargo trailer so we can haul our trikes and dogs with us. We hope to leave next week and head for the Great Allegheny Pass in Pennsylvania and Maryland, then head up to Maine- It is quite an adventure for us, I will be posting on Instagram as I can. I don't think we will have internet for most of the time, so that will be a big change, I believe I am a bit addicted!
    Valerie

Imagine the possibilities...and Happy, Happy, Happy!
    PSE12

I'm addicted to IG as well!! Sounds like such a fun trip you have planned!! Safe travels!

School for my kids ends the end of June. My older ones in highschool have exams starting June 19 and are both done by the 23rd. Ben in JK, his last day is the 26th. We have day trips planned to the beach, a new aquarium, catch a Jays mlb game and of course alot of ball. Both I and my husband are taking a week off, we are hoping that we will be going to New Brunswick for a week with the kids (baseball will be involved) but it will still be nice to go see another province!! My kids start school again at the beginning of September
    Erin

My camera- Canon EOS RebelXS
    My lenses-18-55mm, 55-250mm telephoto, My Iphone
    PSE 12

Valerie, that sounds like a fab trip! Can't wait to see the photos!

Fun to hear the different lengths of vacations, that must be frustrating Kim, hope Talisa isn't too jealous that her sister is already on holiday!

We finish school on the 27th, for 6 1/2 weeks. We're going away for a week to the beach in England during that time, trying a caravan holiday for the first time. Could be great, could be horrendous! I always had caravan holidays as a kid, and loved them, but Peter's never tried.

Apart from that we'll just have day trips, and the kids will play outside with their friends, I don't like to organise too much for them, the time passes fast enough without feeling we're on a schedule all the time.
    Chrissy x

My software: PSE 6 for Mac, run on my super-shiny new Macbook Pro!, yay!
    My camera: Canon EOS 600D, wheeee!!!! or still my trusty IXUS 950IS, or more likely my iPhone 4S

My blog

Quote Originally Posted by kikimama View Post
    Apart from that we'll just have day trips, and the kids will play outside with their friends, I don't like to organise too much for them, the time passes fast enough without feeling we're on a schedule all the time.
    I hear ya! We just left the library signing up for the summer reading program!

My girls all start their breaks from university at the end of this month so I've booked a week in a big house in an historic coastal town. They can all come accompanied by their young men. The weather won't be warm (as it is winter) but it is always fun exploring the marina, watching the steam train, dining out, doing a little shopping, taking lots of photos ...
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

Esther that sounds fun! I'd be happy to do something like this no matter the weather!

Erin, they just relocated our local aquarium. We still haven't gone. That's a good idea for our short/hot summer!

No hols here, I'm working. Mike prophesises that it's going to be a quick winter here, we'll see. I'm already over the rain and winter has just started. I'll count down to September where I plan to take a couple of weeks off work.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

Carol, is hols short for holidays?

Yes Kim, hols is holidays. (answering for Carol)

Having had the past 3 weeks with someone's death each week, and two were sudden deaths, I am getting much more serious about the downsizing of my things. I have things never sorted out since our renovation. We rarely go places in the summer because we don't need to compete with families and I really don't like hot, esp humid, weather.

I plan to stay inside the a/c with breaks sitting outside under the big umbrella reading. Oh yeah, with lots of sunblock. Dick will go biking a lot.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

Now that I no longer have children in school (YAY! I silently shout!) I don't know the exact dates that they are in or out, more I have a rough idea. Schools here have just gone back after half term. I think they normally finish for the summer break about the third week in July.

The week before that, I'm heading down to Jodie's to spend a week with her and the boys I'm really looking forward to it as she's going to keep the boys in nursery for a couple of days so we can have some Mom and daughter time too

Now I just need to order the weather...!
    Liz

My gear: Nikon D5000
    Software: PSE 7

A relaxing summer sounds great Maureen! Sunblock, shade and a good book!

Mother daughter time sounds wonderful Liz!

Winter here..... sob. Cold ugly weather. But we are off to the house with LA and the boys for a long weekend in 2 week. This weekend we are off to the game reserve for a weekend with friends. Cant wait!!! Hope to see a few animals.....
    my blog
    my gallery

Tools of the trade :
    Nikon chick D700 D200 D70
    lenses : 70-200;18-70 50mm 1.4 85mm 1.8 18-200 Flashing chick SB800
    macbookpro chick
    The chick needs - Nikon 24-70 2.8 ed & nikon 70-200 !

Quote Originally Posted by KimR+ View Post
    Carol, is hols short for holidays?
    Oops yep. We say holidays as opposed to you saying vacations.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

I'm planning mostly R&R!! Sometimes I REALLY love being a empty nester. We don't have to plan major summer events or plan things to keep the kids busy and we get to come and go as we please. Our biggest plan it a trip to Houston in July to size up the areas we are considering for our future home.
    Sharon
    aka - justbnsharon

I'm moving house. And revamping the new house, so it will be a summer of paint, plaster and wall knocking down!
    teen daughter has finished for the summer. and is home under my feet!!, Not so teen son has to finish his dissertation and then he's all done too. The little girls have a few more weeks of school tip our six and a bit weeks off.
    I surprise myself by being relieved that because we are moving house, we have no summer holiday trip planned.... much as I love to travel, I find it very stressful sorting it all out for us {and the pets who stay home}
    I suspect we will have a little overnight trip or two during the holidays, and perhaps take a bigger break nearer Christmas instead.
    read all about it!... -->http://britgirl.typepad.co.uk/
    My DD gallery!
    I use; CS6 and LR5 on my beloved iMac!
    I'm a Canon girl I have a 5D MRK II.

We were out May 22nd, on a modified year-round schedule. Took a year to get used to, and every summer everyone says they lament how short it feels. I go back July 31. We just bought a house and moved, now it's being painted. We will join the local YMCA which has an amazing facility and probably spend the rest of the summer swimming and fixing up the house. Our big vacation comes at Fall Break, next October, when we go back to Disney!!
    Sarah
    Equipment: Canon T2i (550D) with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses
    Software: Windows 8, PSE 10 (Editor), PSE 6 (Organizer), and PSCS 4

Schools in Sweden have been out since the first weeks of June. Not having kids of my own, I notice because of the influx of kids being outside during a weekday in our neighborhood...
    My stepson came home from the States beginning of June, and will spend the summer playing golf tournaments here in Sweden Before returning to GA in August.
    He's fortunate this summer! His girlfriend's father turned 50 the other week and took his daughters and their boyfriends on a week-long vacation to Alanya in Turkey. My stepson's mother (my husband's ex) is turning 50 next week, and is taking her immediate family on an overnight stay to one of the islands outside Gothenburg to celebrate. And when August rolls around, my husband turns 50 too, and we are taking his son and his girlfriend, and my in-laws, to Istanbul for a looong weekend to celebrate!
    But, summer means touring for us and we are starting a new tour with a Swedish band next Friday!
    Somewhere in between, we hope to re-paint our country house...
    Thess

My DD Gallery

A Holy Mess - My blog on life, digiscrapping and genealogy

My Cameras: Canon 50D and Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ40

We are spending a couple of weeks in Charleston and again in August. I wish we could just stay here, but somebody has to work in between visits
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

21. We school through the summer (yes, i am one of "those" homeschooling moms), but we still have 3 more weeks of regular school planned, since we gave ourselves such a long break during our house moving time. I am looking forward to the lighter-load of school during the summer weeks, the community pool that we now have to enjoy in our new neighborhood (which means swim lessons for the kids), and some down-time to prepare for the upcoming fall, during which time I am adding more to my plate of responsibilities. Other than chill time at home, we will probably get over to the water park once or twice and up to the beach a few times as well. My in-laws will come for a long visit and I will dream that my parents were coming too...
    heather