Thread: Maya Angelou - so sad.

Hybrid View

Maya Angelou - so sad.

I was sorry to hear that Maya Angelou has passed on. I am certain she is in a better place now.

She is one of two people whom my daughter is named after. Whom are your children named after??
    * Aino *

My gallery

: Nikon D4S & Nikon Df with various lenses.
    : Lightroom and PSCS6

I was sorry to hear of her passing, too. I got to meet her at one of the colleges here 7 or 8 years ago and wow, what a classy lady.

All my boys go by their middle names, but their first names are family names ... Gary's grandfather, my grandfather and a father and son on my husband side who served in 2 wars WAY back when. (That's the short story). :O)
    ~Kelly

I didn't know that, but then I've just woken up.

My mum was a mother craft nurse and my middle name (Lee) was named after one of her favourite long term babies she looked after. Not sure where the Carol came from.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

It is so sad to have such a beautiful person no longer on the earth with us...

My oldest son was named after my dad, and my youngest son's name means God's Gracious Gift- and that is why I chose it.
    Valerie

Imagine the possibilities...and Happy, Happy, Happy!
    PSE12

Very saddened by the news.

Years ago my sister travelled to Canada on holiday and the people she stayed with had a daughter called Jodie - I've loved the name since I was about 13! We kinda fell across Hayley by accident really, it was about the only name we could agree on at that time - and I'd always liked the actress, Hayley Mills. I've no idea where my DH and his ex got the name Mark from but Clayton was named after Clayton - was it Farlow(?) in the TV programme Dallas! My name came from the green grocers daughter - she was called Elizabeth and my mother liked it!
    Liz

My gear: Nikon D5000
    Software: PSE 7

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

That is so fun to hear about the names!!! Great scrapbook page idea actually!
    * Aino *

My gallery

When we were dating we were out with some friends and there was this cute little girl with the name Talisa. I fell in love with the name instantly. I knew if I were to have a little girl, Talisa would be her name. (We just spelled it differently than they did)

Kira's name came from two places. Her first name was a girl that I babysat when I was a teen. Her middle name, LaPreal, was my sisters middle name. She passed away as an infant. This was also my great great grandmothers middle name. To me, Kira LaPreal sounds like a princess name, and trust me, my little Kira is all about being a little princess!
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

Quote Originally Posted by KimR+ View Post
    When we were dating we were out with some friends and there was this cute little girl with the name Talisa. I fell in love with the name instantly. I knew if I were to have a little girl, Talisa would be her name. (We just spelled it differently than they did) Kira's name came from two places. Her first name was a girl that I babysat when I was a teen. Her middle name, LaPreal, was my sisters middle name. She passed away as an infant. This was also my great great grandmothers middle name. To me, Kira LaPreal sounds like a princess name, and trust me, my little Kira is all about being a little princess!
    Your girls names are so unique! They are very pretty but how do you pronounce Tailsa, I know I am saying it wrong!

I love this thread thank you Aino for starting it! By the way where did your unique name originate???

My grandmother and I were extremely close, we all called her "Billi" but her real name was Joan. When she passed I was devastated and knew when I became pregnant with my daughter she would be named after this wonderful woman, however, I wanted a more updated version of the name! Don't ask me how I figured this out, I really think the name just popped into my head one day!!! But if you break down Jordan's name by removing the "r" and "d" you will find Joan within!!

My son is named Martin Harlan Luther. Martin or "Marty" as we all loving refer to him is my husbands grandfather, a wonderful man whom we don't get to see nearly enough! Luckily he is still with us and to avoid the Jr. title we call my son by his middle name which is my grandfather's middle name! Paul Harlan Dull was a wonderful man taken far to early in his life by pancreatic cancer . Harley comes from my mom who thought my husbands love of motorcycles meshed nicely with the need for a less formal name!
    Hillarey

Camera: Canon PowerShot S5IS, NOW using the Canon 40D
    Software: CS5, PicMonkey(love!)

photo blink1_zps1b48dedb.gif

Quote Originally Posted by hillareyd View Post

I love this thread thank you Aino for starting it! By the way where did your unique name originate???

It is actually a quite unique name :chuckle: My name is from Finland, but I am born in Norway. While my mother was pregnant with me, she read a book about a girl named Aino who lived in the wild Finnish woods. "That's the name I want for my daughter," she said and so it was. I have been told it means "The Only One", and in Norway at least this is not far from the truth as it is a very uncommon name. (A much more common name would be Aina).
    What is interesting also is that the name can also be used for boys in Finland, I have been told.

So there you go.
    * Aino *

My gallery

Quote Originally Posted by hillareyd View Post
    Your girls names are so unique! They are very pretty but how do you pronounce Tailsa, I know I am saying it wrong!
    That's the fun part about unique names! Talisa is pronounced "Tuh-Lisa" thanks for asking, HTH!
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

I was named after the lady down the road- my sister wanted me to be Valerie Jo, so my mom compromised with Valerie June- her first name was June! Kind of nice, now, to have a part of my mom always with me!
    Valerie

Imagine the possibilities...and Happy, Happy, Happy!
    PSE12

I was named for my father, Maurice, as I was 'supposed' to be a boy. Apparently my parents felt pretty sure about that. However, when I came to be baptized, the priest said Maureen was not a Christian name! (a lot of Irish women would be surprised at that one). At the last minute, Joan was tacked on which was also close to my father's middle name of Joseph. As a child, I never liked being named after a saint who was burned at the stake.

My eldest is named for his father and paternal grandfather, and until his marriage went by his nickname of Trey for being the 3rd. My 2nd son, who we decided would be our last child and named years earlier while we were dating & planning our family (LOL), was going to be named John Andrew. However, he was born in England and I decided to Anglicize that to Ian, and then finally decided on Iain Maurice instead. Why? because I liked the actor Iain Cuthbertson and my father was dying of ALS. Funnily enough, Iain (pronounced E-un) has often been asked if he has a nickname. He jokes and asks...Like "E"?
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

13. my husband and i chose to give each of our kids one Bible name and one family name...
    Simeon is a prophet from the New Testament, Nathan is a prophet from the Old Testament, Jordan is from the famous river in Israel, and Bethany is the city where Lazarus was raised from the dead.
    My brother and grandfather share the same middle name as my father- and grandfather-in-law, so Simeon's middle name was an easy choice. Nathan got his middle name from my husband's big brother and Jordan got hers from my older sister. for Bethany we broke our own rule and gave her the middle name "Joy" ...and that has turned out to be an amazingly significant name for her!!
    heather

Oh, so sorry that I missed this thread earlier! So much fun to hear about the names and also how to pronounce them. My kids have a terrible time with people trying to pronounce their names because they are Dutch (my husband is from the Netherlands). We wanted Dutch names but ones that would translate well in English and here in Canada. The names are a mix of what I've always loved and people in the family, so it all worked out very easily. Although we only ever use their short names, their full names are a mouthful:
    Sebastiaan Roderick Hendrik - we call him Bas which is pronounced something between "bus" and "boss" but many people call him "Bass" - names all come from family members
    Christine Henriette Anne-Loes - we call her Ineke (Een-i-ka) which has always been my favourite Dutch name and also the name of my husband's aunt and godmother.
    Willem Evert Alexander - Wim or Willem (he got off easy!) - when we had our youngest, I kind of felt bad that we hadn't named any of the kids after my side of the family, so we decided on my father who is William, and just used the Dutch version of the name. Unbeknownst to me, my husband's uncle's name is also Willem but I'd only ever known him as Wim, and I didn't realize that it was short for Willem!
    Sarah

My Gear: very old Canon EOS XS
    Software: Photoshop, Lightroom CC, ACDSee16

Quote Originally Posted by sterkeurs View Post
    Oh, so sorry that I missed this thread earlier! So much fun to hear about the names and also how to pronounce them. My kids have a terrible time with people trying to pronounce their names because they are Dutch (my husband is from the Netherlands). We wanted Dutch names but ones that would translate well in English and here in Canada. The names are a mix of what I've always loved and people in the family, so it all worked out very easily. Although we only ever use their short names, their full names are a mouthful:
    Sebastiaan Roderick Hendrik - we call him Bas which is pronounced something between "bus" and "boss" but many people call him "Bass" - names all come from family members
    Christine Henriette Anne-Loes - we call her Ineke (Een-i-ka) which has always been my favourite Dutch name and also the name of my husband's aunt and godmother.
    Willem Evert Alexander - Wim or Willem (he got off easy!) - when we had our youngest, I kind of felt bad that we hadn't named any of the kids after my side of the family, so we decided on my father who is William, and just used the Dutch version of the name. Unbeknownst to me, my husband's uncle's name is also Willem but I'd only ever known him as Wim, and I didn't realize that it was short for Willem!

What FANTASTIC names you have chosen!! They sound so.... royal!!! Awesome.
    * Aino *

My gallery