Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with Bird Eggs

This is becoming my nightly reading, very entertaining and interesting!
    Amy

my gallery

My stuff: Nikon D700; Nikkor f2.8 24-70mm, f2.8 105mm, and f1.4 50 mm lenses; Tamron f2.8 70-200; Photoshop CC, Lightroom, iMac, MacBook

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

We have a silk flower wreath on our front door...well, we HAD a silk flower wreath on our front door! Every time we put it out, a pair of robins starts building a nest on it. As soon as I see them flying onto the porch, the wreath comes down. After reading this thread, I'm glad we haven't let them build a nest and lay eggs on our door. All this watching and worrying would wear me out!

It is fun to tune in each day and follow the latest episode of "Birds of Our Lives!"
    Lynn (also known as Lynnie!)

wow, what a story!! I knew about a Coocoo doing the same thing, I remember learning about it in school. You having the photos to go with the story really makes it interesting I really like the cow remark LOL!
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

HAha, Lynnie! lol
    This morning there is still just the one (insert expletive here - mine would start with a B) egg. In a few days I'll try and take out the other. :O)
    ~Kelly

yesterday I took photos of the crow noshing on the robin babies while the parent robins dive-bombed it. Sad and real.

A few years ago I had robins nesting and was awakened by screeching and watched while two threw the third to the ground.
    Sibling rivalry and survival lessons.

Nature is our teacher even at the level of the psyche!

Love that you are paying attention.
    just call me Uma

I guess I SHOULD remove the blinkie.
    BUT I'm not gonna!

I'm a little late to this thread, but find it fascinating. Be careful Kelly. You're probably too young to remember the commercial, "It's not nice to fool Mother Nature!"
    Terese

Kelly, I don't think the blue jays turn mafia or anything, just lazy
    Nikon D700
    Lens Nikon 24-70 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 60mm 2.8 macro, Flash SB600
    Dell PC, PSE5 and Wacom Bamboo fun

Happy to hear the nest updates! Good to hear that all is well, or relatively so at this time-keep us updated!
    Valerie

Imagine the possibilities...and Happy, Happy, Happy!
    PSE12

First of all, AMAZING photo Kelly! What a drama in your backyard! Who knew!
    Sarah

My Gear: very old Canon EOS XS
    Software: Photoshop, Lightroom CC, ACDSee16

Ok,I read and waited,then couldn't resist chiming in... I am a long time "birder" and have endured many mishaps... we are always plagued by raccoons and they are famous for tearing the nests up and breaking the eggs, I also spotted a bull frog capture a young bird and attempt to eat it. I stepped in and hit the bull frog with a shovel,rendering him unconscious,then I gently removed the live bird and placed it where I thought the mother would find it. Later when I checked back,the bull frog was gone and the little bird was with his mother. Kelly,good luck in your endeavor... too bad they don't have bird children services,lol!
    Pam

11. Yesterday, as I watched a bully blue jay chasing our female cardinal I was reminded of this thread with the ongoing stories of how hard our feathered friends work to build nests, lay eggs and then protect them. There is drama out there in our back yards!
    Merrilee

Mac computer/Adobe Creative Cloud: CS and Lightroom; SonyA57

imho, blue jays are awfully attractive but can be pretty darn mean too. I had a cat that caught one (more balance of nature...) and almost got inside the house with it. God help us with one inside!
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/Mavericks
    PSE11/LR5

Today would make day 10 for the cowbird egg that I left in the nest. Since they hatch in 10 to 12 days I took it out. Again, mama saw me do it, but I wanted to wait until she was staying on the nest longer in hopes that she can protect it in case Vito decides to come back. Fingers crossed. gulp.
    ~Kelly

Thanks for the update, now we wait for the hatching to begin, and pics, I hope!
    Valerie

PSE12

Quote Originally Posted by mugsbigsis View Post
    Today would make day 10 for the cowbird egg that I left in the nest. Since they hatch in 10 to 12 days I took it out. Again, mama saw me do it, but I wanted to wait until she was staying on the nest longer in hopes that she can protect it in case Vito decides to come back. Fingers crossed. gulp.
    Be on the lookout for severed horse heads nearby!
    Linda

My gear: Nikon D700; 24-70mm 2.8; 70-200mm 2.8; 105mm 2.8; 50mm 1.4; 150-500mm 5-6.3
    My software: Photoshop CC on a PC; Lightroom 5.2; ACDSee 17

photo blink1_zps1b48dedb.gif DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

HA! Linda. Don't jinx me! lol If that finch looses her babies after all of this she'll never understand that I was trying to help her. (And, yes I will have learned my lesson.)
    ~Kelly

My robin's eggs have hatched but I can't see the birds enough to see if they are really robins. Good luck with your finches.

After a day and a night I was convinced that mama bird had abandoned her nest. But, yesterday I saw her. She is now sitting on just 4 eggs, and they are all hers. :O)
    ~Kelly

Thats good news!! I hope that cow bird learned that your backyard is off limits!
    Kathryn~
    http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d65/digigrandma/doodlebanner1.gif

Sick to my stomach. There were 4 this morning.

Screen shot 2014-05-28 at 5.19.37 PM.jpg
    ~Kelly

Oh no!
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

Oh man...we had high hopes!
    Kathryn~

Oh no, Kelly We have four baby robins (you may have seen my photos on facebook) and they are becoming quite active in the nest. I don't think it will be long before the nest is empty. Here's a photo I took yesterday. You can see two of the babies with mom and dad.

IMG_0917R.jpg
    Joanne

My Gallery

Camera: Canon 6D
    Lens: Tamron SP 24-70mm
    Canon EF75-300mm f/4-5.6 III
    PSE 12 on a PC

Mama has one newly hatched baby bird now. I don't want to bother her with trying to get a pic. I can hear that dang gangsta bird in the neighbor's yard.
    ~Kelly

HaHaHa! Kelly thats funny, at least the gangsters didn't finish them all off!
    Kathryn~

So glad she has a hatched egg, such drama! I've been following this thread, who knew birds had such complicated lives! We have house martins on the front of our house just now, but too high up to get any photos, and I don't like to disturb them.
    Chrissy x

My software: PSE 12 for Mac, run on my Macbook Pro!, yay!
    My camera: Canon EOS 600D or still my trusty IXUS 950IS ( though it clunks a lot opening its shutter), or more likely my iPhone 4S

My blog

Today, the second egg hatched. I'm thinking this mama will have her two babies without any more hassle. Let's hope. Learning about all this bullying in a species that isn't called "middle schoolers" has made me feel like I live a sheltered life. Eating other animals for survival is one thing, but bullying? Maybe I look through my zoom lens too much. lol
    ~Kelly

Glad to hear that they both hatched, sad about the two missing, did you find them on the ground?
    Valerie

PSE12

Valerie, I found those first two on the ground, but the second set was MIA.
    ~Kelly

I think they are going to make it. :O)
    Screen shot 2014-06-04.jpg
    ~Kelly

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast