Thread: Lynn..you and Bernard are wowing me

Lynn..you and Bernard are wowing me

I am so totally loving the images Bernard scanned of his mum's OE photos. What a wonderful job he did, giving you the basis for this new album. The pages are just amazing and yet not so much earlier than my first arrival in the UK - 1965 - so they take me back in many ways also. The vintage look, naturally vintage when you consider how long ago that was, is stunning. I'm curious as to how long your MIL actually went abroad. When the one photo of Halifax mentions working at the mill for several months, I'm wondering if this was common. i.e. picking up a job to earn money to finance the rest of the trip?

What I'd really like to do is fly to NZ and listen to your MIL as she goes through the album and talks about each photo. It must have been fascinating to all when she did that. Thanks so much to both of you for taking the time to make this album happen. I love it.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/Mavericks
    PSE11/LR5

I totally agree Maureen.....this is going to be one fantastic book
    Pam

My Stuff: Nikon D80, Nikkor 50 mm 1.4, Nikkor 18 - 135mm, Nikkor 80 - 200mm, Speedlight SB-600 and my Epiphanie Lola Camera Bag!
    Software: Dell Studio XPS, PSE 11 and Bamboo Fun

ditto here... so exciting opening the gallery and finding more of your gems... very special...

Ditto - I'm finding your pages to be so inspiring! This will be a book to treasure!!
    Sharon
    aka - justbnsharon
    DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

Thank you Maureen! What a lovely thing to say, and it really brought a smile to my face.

MIL actually left the huge box of slides in her house when she moved over to Australia to a retirement facility and told Bernard to throw them out.

It was a little frustrating having little information about the pictures, but it meant she was able to talk all about them and explain them at her party. Plus I said she should make notes on her copy if she wants , which I think would be quite special to have in her own handwriting.

It is a tradition for New Zealanders (and Australians) to go over to London (though these days a fair few go to other places such as Berlin instead) as soon as they have raised the money for the air fare after finishing school or college. (Or the ship fare in MIL's days).

Once there you get whatever work you can, alternating that with travelling around. The traditional way is either to buy a VW Kombi or other cheap campervan with friends and drive around Europe or to join one of the many bus/camping tours staffed by young NZer's and Australians.

Most people stay away for at least a year/18 months. Under the visa scheme NZers and Australians under 30 can come to England and work for up to two years.

It's called "doing your big OE" LOL (OE = overseas experience)

I must confess I've never heard of "doing your big OE", but it is common to travel after studying. I got married instead
    My sister travelled with her now-husband. They lived in England for a year where he worked as a locum vet and she did bar work or whatever she could find.
    I think we Aussies are more likely to call it "backpacking" or "going OS" (Over Seas).
    My DD#2 is planning to travel at the end of this year when she's finished her study in November. She has a job to begin in February so it will be a quick three month trip to England and Ireland.

Oh, and I, too, am loving the album. It's always a special treat for us when Lynn has a photobook to do. Not only is the gallery full of wonderful pages, but we can then get a brilliant set of templates!
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

Quote Originally Posted by esther_a View Post
    I must confess I've never heard of "doing your big OE"
    Must be just the New Zealand phrase for it - that Aussies say "going backpacking" would explain why there are so many "backpackers" references in all the hostels, freebie mags etc in London!

I always wonder how confused people from overseas must be when people start talking about someone's OE and they have no idea what they are on about LOL!

Lynn - the big OE is like a rite of passage for us kiwis isn't it? . I did mine at the ripe old age of 17! and returned home when I was 19. Best thing I ever did but I have to admit not looking forward to the day when my girls do it!
    Donna

My Gallery

NIKON D600, 24-70mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, Macro 105mm 2.8, 28-300mm & FUJIFILM X-E1
    PSE 10, LR 4
    iMac & MBPro / Mavericks

I love that idea!! And I, too, have thoroughly enjoyed all the pages you have posted. One of the things I treasure the most is a voice mail my dad left me, it might be even better if you could record her telling the story!
    Valerie

Imagine the possibilities...and Happy, Happy, Happy!
    PSE12

Quote Originally Posted by hendon View Post
    Lynn - the big OE is like a rite of passage for us kiwis isn't it? . I did mine at the ripe old age of 17! and returned home when I was 19. Best thing I ever did but I have to admit not looking forward to the day when my girls do it!

Woah - you were a baby!

I would have loved to do this but the work visa didn't exist for us Americans and there would be no way to afford time without working. But I did get my share of travel round the world later, albeit not alone.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/Mavericks
    PSE11/LR5

This is a wonderful book! Love how good the photos look and your LOs show them off perfectly. What an adventure she had!