Thread: ideas for team photography? - year long, not just portraits

ideas for team photography? - year long, not just portraits

I was just asked to be the team photographer for my daughters soccer team - and the manager was saying maybe we can do player cards or a book at the end of the year.

Since you guys are so creative, I thought I'd check for ideas. There isn't budget, so I don't want to go very expensive. I'd be ok making a team photo book - has anyone done it where they created it and let other people order them on their own? Did the other parents go ahead and order it? Any tips on what to include to increase the likelihood that people want it?

Any other ideas? This is a 10 month season - tournaments to start and then games later.

Thanks!

Oh geez I am not sure I'm the one to answer this as I am just now putting the finishing touches on 40 44-page senior football scrapbooks! LOL! They will be printed by shutterfly (you can get a volume discount on team scrapbooks if you search "yearbooks").

You can see some of my pages here: http://www.designerdigitals.com/digi...500&ppuser=172

I love Lynn's templates for the pages. I use the adventure boxed set because I like grunge but she has clean template sets as well.

I set up shutterfly sites for the team (parents and kids) and then uploaded pictures by games/events. Other photographers could also upload to the site that way. If you put the roster on the site, you can then tag photos to individual players. That helps later if you want to make albums.

I have also made slideshows using Smilebox. It's an easy interface to use and you can add up to 3 songs. Nice for an end of the year banquet and you can just buy a monthly subscription for a couple months.

hope that helps....have fun!
    wendy
    Along for the Ride

camera: canon rebel XTI
    software: photoshop cs5

Wendy,
    These are awesome. Are you jotting down things about the game while you are there? Did you attend every game?
    Are all 40 books the same? Are parents buying their own books?

Sorry for all the questions - but I'll need to figure out the goal ahead of time, so I don't end up missing photos later....

Thank you. Since they were football games, I just used the articles out of the paper. The goal was to tell the story of the season, not of any individual player per se. Now, having said that, I also customized about 10 pages per book to each individual player. So the albums will be uploaded (today during the rugby tournament) individually to shutterfly. As for purchasing the books, the coach is paying $20 per book the parents are paying $10. Total cost is $27.72 I think (8x8 hardback books)

We had 3 team photographers but most of the photos used in the books are mine as it was just easier to make pages from my stash of photos than to download them from the shutterfly share site (although I did do that on occasion.) And yes, I attended every game....wouldn't miss it for the world! Cindi and I had shot every single football game from the sidelines since 8th grade with our sons.....

we averaged 500-600 photos per game except the state championship where I alone took 1200!
    wendy
    Along for the Ride

My apologies for being late to this thread... I was with my elderly father all day (and into the night!) yesterday and missed your thread! Wendy's given you so much wonderful advice... she rocked her football books!

I've done books for each one of my kids for each year of soccer, both high school, college and club soccer! I made those all consistent using Lynn Grieveson templates; I just changed out papers! What a lazy bum I am! But, two kids and four years of high school + 8 or 9 years of club ball makes for alot of books! LOL

For club soccer, though, I did make books for players and soccer coaches. Mine were way less ambitious than Wendy's, just let me put that out there! LOL I made the books more for the coaches but they worked for the parents, too, and most parents ordered them. (Parents chipped in for the coaches books.) I printed them on Shutterfly which made it easy for everyone to view and decide they wanted it. I took orders one time for the parents so it was cheaper. But a couple did wind up ordering them later which is the nice thing about sharing the book on Shutterfly. It's always there to order!

I included two pages for each player: One focal (full-size) photo and the other page included action shots. I kept the number of photos to a minimum and included open, 'white' space for each of the girls to write a note to the coach. The books that the parents ordered weren't signed; they just had lovely 'white' space on them! LOL I kept the format the same for every girl... this sample (below) happened to be club soccer, so they all went to different high schools in different cities, so I highlighted their year and school/city. For the high school book, I highlighted their class/year and position only. On this particular book, the way I laid it out, I moved the girl's name along that border to the spot that best fit the photo... make sense? And, that is just a bold font set at a lower opacity so it's like tracing paper.

Here's an example: (Wow... this was four years ago... holy cow!)

I flipped-flopped the focal photo/action page so that the signed page was back-to-back with another signed page just in case we had ink bleed (which didn't happen 'cuz I had the girls all use a thin "acid-free scrapbooking" pen!). It also gave a bit of interest to the book since the pages were similar... haha!

I kept the high school books even simpler... ONE page per player... this was a last-minute coaches gift, to be honest, so it had to be quick and easy for me! (The parent in charge of the original gift idea, failed. Ugh.)

After the girls' individual layouts, I also added 8-10 pages in the back of many different shots of the team... tournament win team photos, other action shots of each of the girls ('cuz let's face it, there are always an abundance of fabulous actions shots!), photos celebrating a goal or a win, a snap of them at a tournament warming up, goofing off, team dinners/lunches, etc. I used a simple 9-photo grid (3 pics across in 3 rows) for all these extra photos. Kept it simple and consistent. And, other than important tournament or regional wins, I didn't include scores or stats. I figured it really doesn't matter in 10 years when I'm looking at the book if we won the game 1-0! LOL Just made it so much easier on me! (I'm a working mom, as well as the proverbial 'soccer mom' so I had to save my sanity!

Although I do admit that I did do that for the kids' PERSONAL high school and college books, as well as a couple of "special" club soccer books! LOL I have a two-page layout for each game and, for the most part, I have the team they played and the scores documented. These are one book cover and title page... I just followed the format throughout. Please PM me if you wanna see the 'filler' pages! (I haven't uploaded any... I already post too many soccer pages! LOL)

(book cover)

(title page and format of each game's first page; second page is all the action shots of my kid from that game!)

Here are a few pages from one of the "special" club books... this happened to be from a book recapping three college showcase tournaments where my daughter guest-played for two out-of-state teams. I did keep score! LOL I kept the format the same (OK, the 'filler' pages are slightly different 'cuz I used a different template page depending upon how many pics I had of the game!) I used the same background paper throughout, but I changed the paper strip color for the games of each of the three tournament... make sense?

Like Wendy, I took thousands upon thousands (really!) of photos. After EVERY single game, I'd purge the bad ones (sadly, I DO take alot of bad ones! LOL) and tag the good ones with the girls name so I could easily sort thru each players pics when I did the book. This became VERY overwhelming, as Wendy can attest to, when you've got thousands of pics. If you take photos at every single game and you take 5-6 of each girl (not 20 or 30 like I did!), you will most definitely have enough GOOD photos to sort thru at the end of the season!

I designed my own "template" for the club books, but for the high school and college books, I used Lynn's "Lot of Shots" templates; they're perfect!

And, of course, I added a few little soccer balls here and there... I can't do without them! You'll need this set whether you do a team book or not! Trust me on this!

Flair Mini Sports

I'm excited to see what you come up with... taking soccer photos for both my kids for high school and club soccer was my LIFE for so many years; I miss it dreadfully now! So, while this is a bit of 'work'... soak it all in 'cuz you'll miss it one day!
    Debi

My DD Gallery: beehive50
    My Camera: Canon 60D
    (Lens: 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, 70-200mm f/2.8)
    My Software: Photoshop/Lightroom Creative Cloud
    My Platform: Dell PC w/Wacom "Bamboo" Tablet

I hope this isn't too much to absorb! LOL I kinda went overboard on my post! I just SO LOVE documenting soccer (and other sports, too, actually!)... I could go on and on and on! (And, I kind of did!

Oh, and if ya wanna check my gallery, I've got lots of sports layouts... something might jump out at you for another idea or two! »beehive50«
    Debi

7. Oh, boy, Wendy and Debi are truly stars of the sports' album world! I'm glad they could help you with ideas and examples. Good luck with your project!
    Merrilee

Mac computer/Adobe Creative Cloud: CS and Lightroom; SonyA57

Wow, I am inspired to do a team book after seeing those pages! Great ideas ladies!
    Sarah

My Gear: very old Canon EOS XS
    Software: Photoshop, Lightroom CC, ACDSee16

Hi Ladies! I am in the same boat (self-imposed). I am creating a book for the golf team and will probably do another in the fall for the volleyball team. I created individual pages for each of the players (I picked a template like the others did) and I am adding to each page as I get photos. I am also including their stats/scores as they play. I will upload some "works in progress" tonight when I get home.

The shutterfly site for the team is awesome and I maintain a site for each team. I am constantly uploading pictures and the parents love it!

As far as the book, my intention is to put it all together in Shutterfly, upload and provide them a link if they would like to purchase one.

One question though ... I am creating 12x12 pages and not sure if I can shrink them down to 8x8 or 10x10. I didn't think of the cost factor for them when I started this out. My other thought was to send each family a .jpg of their page.

Oh My! Those soccer pages are AWESOME! My wheels are turning for volleryball season ....

Hope this helps. This was a great question!

Lisa
    Lisa
    SE Michigan

Camera: Canon T1i
    Lenses: Gotta look at them and let ya know
    Software: PSE 12 on Mac Pro

10. Lisa,
    I always create 12x12 pages. I've made 8x8 books at Shutterfly with these same layouts and have never had a problem. I don't have to make any adjustments, I just select the 8x8 book. Hope that helps!

Terri
    (just a little south of you in Toledo)

Thanks Terri! .... Glad to hear that. Did the font size become too small? I think that is my only real concern.
    Lisa
    SE Michigan

Wow, what a great thread. This really makes me feel guilty that my camera isn't good enough to catch close ups like these. I could be doing this for my grandkids.

Quote Originally Posted by midwestwoman View Post
    Thanks Terri! .... Glad to hear that. Did the font size become too small? I think that is my only real concern.
    Lisa... I do as Terri does. Create in 12x12 and use Shutterfly's 8x8. I've never had a font size problem, but here's a little 'trick' I use BEFORE I upload and 'shrink' to 8x8! Using a sheet of real life paper, I hold it up to my screen and zoom or pull back the layout on the screen to 'match' the paper size, as close as I can get anyways. So, I'm 'shrinking' the image on the computer screen ONLY... I'm NOT changing any sizing in the actual program (make sense?). If the font is too small to read when the layout size matches (closely) the paper I'm holding up, then I'll make it bigger. Or vice versa. I just use an 8˝x11 paper, with the 8˝ size as a guide. I actually just eyeball it, but you could cut an 8" piece to be more exact!

And, so I'm re-reading this and understanding it 'cuz this is what *I* do, but I'm thinking I didn't write this very clearly... PM me or respond here if you don't 'get me'... ha!
    Debi

Quote Originally Posted by wvsandy View Post
    Wow, what a great thread. This really makes me feel guilty that my camera isn't good enough to catch close ups like these. I could be doing this for my grandkids.
    Do it anyways! If you shoot at the highest quality possible on your camera, you can still get a good enough cropped image to use! Remember, it doesn't have to be perfect! And, you know your grandkids would LOVE their own "sports books"!
    Debi

Quote Originally Posted by beehive50 View Post
    And, so I'm re-reading this and understanding it 'cuz this is what *I* do, but I'm thinking I didn't write this very clearly... PM me or respond here if you don't 'get me'... ha!
    Thanks Terri! I think I understood that. Will have to give it a try this week!

I am so glad to see that many other scrapbookers are creating these books. I already have a template in my wish list for volleyball this fall! I must be nuts!
    Lisa
    SE Michigan

16. I actually do shrink my pages to 7.95 for the 8x8 shutterfly albums. That works too. I just FINALLY finished 40 44-page senior football scrapbooks on Monday (we won the state championship...LOTS of games!) and other than a few pages probably printing dark (night games....I would recommend lightening your pages a bit before printing) I am usually pretty pleased with the printed albums.

good luck!
    wendy
    Along for the Ride

Ladies - Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
    In an effort to decide if I want to take this to the next level, I rented a 70-200 2.8 and fell in love! But, the shutter on my camera broke and I've been without it for a couple of weeks, so I was absent from the boards for a bit.

These ideas and pages are amazing! It's great to hear all the different ways that you've done it.
    Wendy and Debi, it's so wonderful that your girls were able to play for so long. My daughter is on her first competitive team and I'm already worried about doing something too 'over-the-top' and putting pressure on her to keep up soccer, when it's so competitive to make the teams each year...

I'm off to look on the site for your pages!
    -lynn