Thread: Using Lightroom for Collections?

Using Lightroom for Collections?

Hi everyone,
    I'm following Sebastian' class on Photoshop. He seams to really like working with Lightroom, especially when it comes to the image collections.
    So far I do not have that much pictures, so to have them in specific folders is ok. But I guess that soon enough I'll have tons of pictures and if I don't start right away... it will be a total disaster. So I really wonder about using Lightroom to kept all the stuff I have and the stuff to come in order.
    The only trouble.... I really really don't understand how Lightroom works!!! It seems so complicated... Collections, Folders, Catalogs; keywords, metacontent...
    I'm just completely lost with the thing!
    Anyone to help?
    Silhouette Caméo, Sewing machine Toyota RS Séries,Crop a Dile2, BIA
    Photoshop CS6, Elements 11

I love ! (adore?) Lightroom 5 which I went to primarily for the organization of my digi supplies. I now use it for my photosalso but they are in a separate catalog. That just means I have all the digi stuff stored (or more accurately linked to my original files on the hard drive)in one catalog and all the photos I want to use in another catalog. It's sort of like asking LR to go and get that 'binder' of things (digi) or the other 'binder' of photos. Lightroom itself just has links back to all your originals, which means that for photos, it is not destructive, i.e. it does not alter the original in any way.

I have taken a few online classes in Lightroom and like all the other Adobe products, I, in no way come close to using their potential. It's a constant learning experience and so far still very enjoyable. The easiest way I'd suggest as a start is to look at the free videos at Adobe from Terrie White, Julianne Kost etc. I don't know what may be comparable in French but I suspect your English is probably as good as mine!

One other things that helped me a lot was the idea that in Lightroom almost all your work is done in a clockwise manner. You start by importing photos/supplies etc (bottom left) to folders you create (middle left) and then work your way across the top and then down the right side from top to bottom in the various things you can do ...keywording, editing, etc etc. Visualizing that flow helped me see what was logical about this program. hth!
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

LR 5_700.jpg

Here is an idea of what I mean in the above post and this image.

1 is where you Import, and I import from a folder on my hd 2 called 2014 that has the shots I want to work with week by week. The same folder name is kept in Lightroom. (Yea!)

3 is the Library mode where you see all your images, and can add keywords in 4. (yes, this is a bit down but it's all in the Library mode.)

5 is the Develop mode where you can do fine tuning on your images.

I won't go into the other modes because that is still beyond me. I don't need that to go right to PSE (or CS) and get scrapping. hth
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5

4. Hi Pikabo

I really like Lightroom, too.

A few months ago I signed up for Phil Steele's Lightroom training videos. His videos helped me catch on to LR. I was pleased to see our teacher in the Photoshop Artistry class recommends his videos for learning Lightroom!

It would mean signing up for another course, but, if you are serious about staying organized, you might want to do it.
    Merrilee

I love Macs
    Adobe Creative Cloud:
    CS and Lightroom 5
    Bamboo Pen & Touch
    Sony A57

I have to learn LR, I don't even know where to start.

Where do I start, apart from hopping a plane and coming over to sit by your sides Maureen and Merrilee?????
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

You can always get in a car for a drive to MY house, Carol!!
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

You can watch creativeLive NOW http://www.creativelive.com/watch1
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4

I'm having quite an issue to figure out the difference between Collections, Folders and Catalogues (not sure the translation is ok).

Folders are exactly the same as folders on your hard drive. In fact they ARE those same folders. You are just looking at those folders through Lightroom. The only difference is that there may be photos in your folders on your hard drive that you have not imported into Lightroom, so they will be invisible to Lightroom.
    The Catalog is simply the list of photos you've imported and the adjustments you've made. It is the database where Lightroom stores everything you've done. I tend to forget that the catalog even exists. If the catalog was lost, Lightroom would not show you any folders or photos, even though the original photos would still be in your folders on your computer. All your adjustments would be lost.
    I did need to use my catalog when I did some editing on a different computer. I had to import (copy) the catalog from that other computer onto my usual computer so that it knew what adjustments I made to my photos.
    Collections are like playlists (a quote from CreativeLive today!). If I want to group photos together I make a collection. The photos remain in their original folder, but I can create collections of them for things like uploading to flickr or sharing with a friend or printing. So I can create a "Photos to print" collection and add photos to that collection. This is not making another copy of the photo, just displaying it with other photos in that collection. I love collections because without them I'd be copying photos into folders all the time and ending up with multiple copies and I would not know which one was the master copy!

I hope that clarifies a bit. Sorry it is such a verbose explanation!

Thanks Esther,
    It does clarify things.
    Folders are just like my regular folders on the Mac, as they are in my Finder.
    If I want to rearrange these folders I can then use the Collections.
    Right?

BIG caveat! Once you have imported images into LR, do not move those images/folders except in Lightroom! Remember, the ones in LR are just links to the original folder. If you move your HD folder or images on your HD, the LR link will no longer connect and you will see a ? where the image should be in LR. (I know because I've done it in my haste to put things in other places. LOL) Do your rearranging IN Lightroom!

Once you have images you want in LR, you can make a collection from many different folders. e.g. I could do Italy by making a collection of all my Italy images, even though they are in various folders by year in LR. I won't try to tell you how here, because it is better to see it than try to tell you in words. imho. Julianne Kost's video on Collections
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5

Carol, I seriously think you need to visit Esther and then post the images of you with a lighbulb over your head when LR clicks for you! It really isn't hard, in fact I think it was easier to follow than the original PSEs or godhelpme when I was trying to teach myself the ancient PS7 (before any CS version). I really did start crying in frustration then and have been a PSW user ever since!
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5

And what about my tags? For example on my Mac I have a bif folder named Digital. Within that folders I have other folders like kits, abr, templates... And after that I find my stuff thanks to may tags ( Easter, animals, autum.....).
    Will I get my tags in LR?
    I guess the best will be to tried tonignt when I got back from work.

If you want to rearrange your FOLDERS on your computer you can do so but must do it in Lightroom as Maureen said. If you move them on your computer Lightroom won't be able to find them. You can relink them but it is a bit of a pain.

How are you creating these TAGS? I'm going to assume you're using ACDSee or Organizer to do that. The short answer is NO, you won't get your tags in LR. That is because they are not stored within the file.

When you apply tags in ACDSee or Organizer they are ONLY stored in the ACDSee database or Organizer database (which is exactly the same sort of thing as the Lightroom Catalog). These tags are NOT in the file. So when you import the file into Lightroom the tags do not come with them. ACDSee has a unique way of storing these tags and you can't even export them with the file (very annoying!!). I'm not sure about Organizer. As it is an Adobe product perhaps it works like Lightroom...?
    Lightroom allows you apply keywords (the equivalent to tags) to your files so that you can search through your photos for "Christmas", or "ocean" etc. One of the advantages of Lightroom is that you can then save your metadata (which includes these keywords) to your file. If the file was a raw file it is best to convert it to dng first, then the metadata can be saved inside the file. Then that data is IN that file and can be found by any program, even a Windows or Finder search will look the metadata to see what keywords you've applied.

COLLECTIONS can be used similar to tags. In ACDSee I often create a tag called "Current Page" and apply that tag to all the goodies I think I might use on the page I'm working on. That is using the tag like a Collection. You use collections to gather images together for a particular purpose - a current project, or to process for the web, etc.

Here is an example: Supposing you wanted to do an albums of Christmases past and had been applying keywords to your photos for years. You could do a keyword search for "Christmas" to find all the Christmas photos. Now since you would not want to put ALL of those photos into your Christmas album you would create a collection called "Christmas Album" and drag onto that collection just the photos to use. Then you could search for "Santa" and see if there were other photos to add to the collection.

My collections are temporary things. I delete them when I'm done (well I should but I actually have a great big jumble of collections!!!)

Hope that helps.

I've been following this thread since I have LR3 and haven't really used it to its potential (not even close!). I'd like to upgrade to LR5 but am wondering if all my collection of presets (that worked in 3) will be useable in LR5. TIA for any help!
    Julie

I'm not using ACDSee or anything like that. I just create personal folders and subfolders.
    I have imported my folders in LR. And I have started to make my own collections (papers/ templates...).
    But what a surprise... no .png files imported!!!!
    Is it just impossible to import PNG files or is there some trick to do it?
    Thanks!

Julie, I'm afraid that LR3 presets don't work very well in LR5. But there are so many freebies out there it did not find me long to locate presets that did work.
    The sliders are better and the noise reduction is better. I find I rarely use presets, I usually just use the sliders to correct my photos.

Pikabo, I remember people saying that PNG files don't work in LR. I'm sorry, I don't use LR for my digital supplies, so I can't help there.
    Perhaps someone else can help...?

Pikabo, .png files are visible in Lightroom 5 and above (Lr5.2 and I imagine any upgrade in the future). Your signature here doesn't say which version of LR you have.

And, do you have "include sub-folders" checked when you import? Just in case all your .png files might be in a sub-folder of elements.
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5

I have LR4!!! So I guess I'll have to upgrade.

[QUOTE=esther_a;434246]Julie, I'm afraid that LR3 presets don't work very well in LR5. But there are so many freebies out there it did not find me long to locate presets that did work.
    The sliders are better and the noise reduction is better. I find I rarely use presets, I usually just use the sliders to correct my photos.

Thanks, Esther. I kind of suspected that! I have a few that I really love - maybe the creator of them has upgraded them to 5. Thanks again!
    Julie

Most of my LR5 preset freebies came from Matt Kloskowski http://lightroomkillertips.com/category/presets.
    My very favourite one of his is an HDR one that adds an instant zing to a flat photo. http://lightroomkillertips.com/new-l...-the-hdr-look/
    Jack Davis has a sampler of artsy presets on his facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/jackdaviswo...90322544333196
    And I lashed out and bought Jared Platt's collection when they were half price after watching him on CreativeLive. http://www.plattstore.com/The_Compre...ion_p/cpac.htm
    He is so amazing and his collection of presets are so logical and well organized. I love them, but I don't use them as often as I should.

Ok I have upgraded to LR5.
    Now the big question.....
    I have for the moments two folders: one named Photos and the other named Digital (with my kits- named by its name- and all)
    After that I have collections. Concerning my digi collection I have: papers, templates, elements.... this kind of things.
    I'm wondering about keywords. I'm not sure which to chose. I'm thinking of Colors (with su categories like red, yellow....), People (familly, portraits...) Events ( Esater, Halloween...). But I'm not sure.
    The only thing I'm sure of is that I have to do that now!

Key wording is very subjective imho. I don't do much on keywording my photos, because for me they are either by week (for PL) or by trip. That's as much as I need. I do keyword the year for all but my folders tell me as much as I need. I can also always go back to Calendar on my iMac to see when something happened if that's important or what year such and such trip happened.

However, the digi stuff is where I keyword a lot. I spent more time keywording my elements, because that's what I want to find quickly. e.g. I have such things as crystals, dates/numbers, hearts, stars and the odd single item such as pine cones, scissors etc. These are things I want to find without wondering which kit had THAT specific item. The keywording of kits is my nemesis.
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5

Thanks for the links to the presets, Esther! I am going to bite the bullet and upgrade to LR5!
    Julie