Thread: Oh no! What would you do?

Oh no! What would you do?

I have a Canon 40D that is 6 years old. This morning I went outside to take some pictures of the flowers before it rains. I took one photo and the shutter stayed closed. I have tried everything but it won't open. I looked online and the scary news is that it will probably take more to repair it than the cost of a new camera. Starting Friday I have a month long series of important grandchild events going on. I need a camera! Help! What would you do? Just buy a new camera? Buy a used 40D? by a cheap fill in camera to get me through? Even if I wanted to get it repaired I'm sure it would not be ready by Friday. I wasn't planning to buy a new camera right now and have done no research! Did I say "Help?" Help!
    Lynn (also known as Lynnie!)

Could you rent a camera? Maybe something you might like to buy in the future. That way, you would be doing research, and taking the photos of your grandchildren's events.
    Joanne

My Gallery

Camera: Canon 6D
    Lens: Tamron SP 24-70mm
    Canon EF75-300mm f/4-5.6 III
    PSE 12 on a PC

When I "wore out my shutters" it cost $250 to fix it. I needed a camera at the time, too so I upgraded and also had my other fixed for a backup. Not sure if that's do-able with what your cost might be, but I do enjoy having 2 cameras. I now use them both, one lens on each so I don't have to change over to a zoom or visa versa. Maybe there's a deal somewhere?
    ~Kelly

4. Sorry, about the camera suddenly not working, Lynn.

The new point and shoots have really improved. I'd be tempted to buy a new point and shoot camera to use while you research buying a camera to replace your Canon 40D. Like Kelly says it is always handy to have a second camera as a back up.
    Merrilee

Mac computer/Adobe Creative Cloud: CS and Lightroom; SonyA57

Quote Originally Posted by digigrandma View Post
    Sorry, about the camera suddenly not working, Lynn.

The new point and shoots have really improved. I'd be tempted to buy a new point and shoot camera to use while you research buying a camera to replace your Canon 40D. Like Kelly says it is always handy to have a second camera as a back up.
    I agree here. I was in a position of needing an "extra" camera and decided to go with a good quality point and shoot. Not sure what your activities entail or your picture taking adventures, but I do a lot of riding and it just isn't feasible to pack my big Canon on the saddle - especially since I am sometimes also riding a green horse. I LOVE LOVE love my little Canon. Easy to take along, has a fantastic zoom, and the picture quality is awesome.
    Brenda - wife, mother, animal lover!
    Canon Rebel T3i
    Windows 7 & PSE 11

Getting a nice point and shoot sounds like a great idea while you research cameras to buy. There's no good time to be without a camera, but right before big grandchild events -- oy!
    Linda

My gear: Nikon D700; 24-70mm 2.8; 70-200mm 2.8; 105mm 2.8; 50mm 1.4; 150-500mm 5-6.3
    My software: Photoshop CC on a PC; Lightroom 5.2; ACDSee 17

photo blink1_zps1b48dedb.gif DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

So very frustrating. What would I do? I would cry! Do you have a local camera store that you could go to to get an opion and quote of getting it repaired? I also agree that renting a camera may be a good choice, or a nice and yet cheap point and shoot to get by in the mean time. Best of luck my friend! And don't do what I would do, don't cry!
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

oh geez, I would definitely cry too All those options sound great. The new cameras are really expensive, if you want a good one and then the lenses.... scary!
    Get a good point and shoot and have yours fixed, at least for now. I really don't know anything about the point and shoots but it sounds like Brenda really likes hers!
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

Panasonic makes some great little cameras - both point and shoots, almost DSLR and DSLR cameras. Here's a link
    http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/camer...t-shoot-models
    Jane

10. Eeekkk!! So sorry this happened to you Lynnie...I like the idea of getting a new p&s, but for all the traveling that you and Dick do and all the photos that you take, it might just be time to treat yourself to a new full frame.....I just love spending your money!!
    Kathie

my gallery

Camera: Nikon D90, Nikon D50
    Lenses: Nikkor: 50 mm 1.4, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, Micro 60mm 2.8G ED, 18-200mm VR, SB-800
    Software: Adobe PSE3 and CS2
    Computer Platform: It may be a PC, but at least it's fast

Thank you so much for all the wonderful ideas! You had some great ones and things I didn't think of. I'll mull them over ---quickly!---and see what I can do. This is a great place for help and creative ideas!

Oh dear Lynnie! I'd go for a point and shoot for now rather than make a hasty, expensive purchase, then research and make the right long term camera choice at your leisure! I'm sure the shots of your grandchildren will be amazing whatever you decide!
    Liz

My gear: Nikon D5000
    Software: PSE 7

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

Well, you met my little p&s: the olympus Tough 2 (now the TG-3 is out). It is a fun one because it also goes under water and takes amazing macros - things that you would never ask of your DLSR. So it is a handy backup.
    I totally get the need to "research" before making a purchase. Must be a teacher thing!
    I like the idea of renting, too. Perhaps you could rent a camera as part of your research?
    I just bought an Olympus OM-D - been researching it for about a year! I got it because it is much more compact than the Canon. I'm not going to lug the Canon on any more vacations. Loving the Olympus so far...
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

Oh Lynnie, cry! Get a quote! Maybe it's the battery which stopped? Something as simple as that?
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

15. That would give me an excuse to get the 60D on Amazon I've been coveting
    Seriously, sorry you are having to deal with the stress of this situation. Cameras always seem to know when you have something huge coming up - and they choose that moment to quit :/
    Sara

My DD Gallery: sarahorton
    My Blog

Oh why do these things happen right when you don't need it to!!! Hope you come to some decision soon!
    my blog
    my gallery

Tools of the trade :
    Nikon chick D700 D200 D70
    lenses : 70-200;18-70 50mm 1.4 85mm 1.8 18-200 Flashing chick SB800
    macbookpro chick
    The chick needs - Nikon 24-70 2.8 ed & nikon 70-200 !

I can't even read this thread without sucking in my breath and closing one eye and trying not to read further..... I cannot afford a second back up camera that is anywhere near equal to mine and I feel very sick about the amount of client work mine does... cannot think about it stopping one day like yours did!!
    I hope you find a substitute for yours, but may I also suggest getting yours looked at and a quote for fixing? when something went wrong with my previous camera I had a meltdown before I had the quote, and it was actually very reasonable in the end....
    read all about it!... -->http://britgirl.typepad.co.uk/
    My DD gallery!
    I use; CS6 and LR5 on my beloved iMac!
    I'm a Canon girl I have a 5D MRK II.

you've been given some great advice. Let us know what you decide.
    Terry

Terry's Tales

Gear: Nikon D60
    Software: CS4
    Platform: Mac

Thank you all for your wonderful advice, so promptly given! I was beyond panicked! Here's what I have done.

I took my (40D) camera to the local camera shop. They said the repair would be $250 and would take several weeks. I was sad. Then the man said, "But we have a factory refurbished used 40D with a warranty for $285." And I could get it right away! What do you think I did! I jumped on that baby!

My broken camera is six years old. I love it and am very happy to have another one like it for a few years till I decide what my next camera will be. I plan to make that decision before I have another emergency situation! But you can bet I'll come back for advice again when that times comes. You guys are the best, most caring and most knowledgeable bunch around! Thank you!

That is PERFECT! What are the odds?! :O)
    ~Kelly

21. Sounds like you made a great decision, Lynn.
    I know how you feel about making a snap decision . . . it takes months or longer for me to decide when making a change. My 40D has been acting up for the past four or five months . . . I'm fearing that it will conk out the night of our grandson's high school graduation!! this place has the best peeps and the most wonderful advice, doesn't it?
    Mollie

My DD Gallery

DD Photo-a-Day Flickr Group

Software: Photoshop Elements 8.0
    My Gear: Canon PowerShot G10, Canon D50 , Tameron 28-300 lens and Canon 50mm - 1.4 lens
    Computer: iMac

22. Talk about perfect timing!!! Glad it worked out so well for you!!
    Kathie

my gallery

Camera: Nikon D90, Nikon D50
    Lenses: Nikkor: 50 mm 1.4, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, Micro 60mm 2.8G ED, 18-200mm VR, SB-800
    Software: Adobe PSE3 and CS2
    Computer Platform: It may be a PC, but at least it's fast

Right place, right time, love it when that happens!
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

What luck! And how terrific that you could avoid having to go through a whole new learning curve when under pressure. Well, happy researching for your eventual replacement.
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets