Thread: Mac or PC or Ipad

1. Mac or PC or Ipad

I am sure this has come up before, but I am thinking of changing, just THINKING what is your advice.
    1. Can elements go on an Ipad, I have heard it can't.
    2. I am having major trouble with my PC making me mad, but mainly with the Adobe flash program, I see on the net that lots of people are
    3. What are the pros and cons you found.
    4. If you switched over did you have trouble doing it?

2. My laptop died a while back and I took the plunge and moved to an iMac all-in-one. I absolutely LOVE it. I had no problems switching over (thanks to online friends and google!). You're right, elements can't be loaded on an iPad. I don't know about you but I think the iPad is too small for everyday scrapping ... especially with my new 21" monitor!
    Patsy

3. I am a Mac lover. I think the Mac operating system is far more intuitive than Windows. But, like any new technology there is a learning curve. I strongly recommend that if you do switch to a Mac that you buy the one to one training. It was $100 when I got my Mac and well worth it. You can make appointments for training as often as you want for a year. And it is renewable. But you can only buy it initially with your Mac purchase.

4. My advice as a Mac user would be to do just what Patsy and Liz have suggested in their posts above.

the Mac takes a while to get used to, but there are terrific books to hold your hand as you do and lots of help when you Google your questions. I can think of many pros and no cons to a Mac.
    Mollie

My DD Gallery

DD Photo-a-Day Flickr Group

Software: Photoshop Elements 8.0
    My Gear: Canon PowerShot G10, Canon D50 , Tameron 28-300 lens and Canon 50mm - 1.4 lens
    Computer: iMac

Mac hands down! When I'm teaching PSE to new digi users and they are on a PC, it drives me crazy all the steps you have to go through to get one thing done. On a Mac, one click and it's done (for most things) The learning curve is funny because you still want to do many steps and it confounds you to only do one step. I found that the biggest hurdle my brain had to make.
    Lorna

My toys: Canon EOS 5D, 24-105mm, 70-200mm, macro 100mm
    My software: PSE v12, ACDSee Pro2
    My platform: I'm a Mac
    My blog: www.idiosyncrazies.wordpress.com

Photobucket

I'm a new Mac owner (just one week) and I'm still a little bit confused. Maybe that's because (as Lorna said) I still think in PC way. I miss, for example half-open covers of my folders. I could see content of each, while in Mac I can see only titles. May be you know : is there any way to change it?
    And by the way : where do you keep all DD supplies? IPhoto is ok?
    Agnieszka

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

Mac Mac Mac!!!!! And a little bit of... Mac.
    I switched a little more than a year ago and I would never go back to PC (althought we have a PC laptop at home beacause it is far less expensive that a Mac laptop).
    Silhouette Caméo, Sewing machine Toyota RS Séries,Crop a Dile2, BIA
    Photoshop CS6, Elements 11

I spent over 20 years on a PC - from the time they came out with Windows Personal Computers - and switched to a Mac in 2006? 99% of the time it really is intuitive. I now think that way but when I have to use a Windows machine (in all my volunteer work), I can switch gears fairly easily. (Of course they all have varying ancient ages of Windows & Microsoft software which is another challenge....) Unless you really want the portability of a laptop, I'd say go with an iMac if that's affordable. I adore my light touch wireless keyboard and mouse and my fingers balk when I have to click away at those bulky black keyboards that all my volunteer PCs have.

Scrapping on an iPad will come someday I suspect but for my not so young eyes, that big monitor is what I need.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/Mavericks
    PSE11/LR5

Yes, there is a way to see an image on the top of the folder you want to look at. I learned it here at DD the first year of Mac ownership. When I purchase something that requires it's own folder I do this: double click the preview .jpg that Katie usually provides. This will be the photo that will lay on top of your folder. When you double click it, it will open in Preview mode. Bring your cursor up to the top left and highlight it all the way down to bottom right corner. Then use the Cmd C (copy) to copy it. Go back to the blue plain folder and then hit CMD I. It will then bring up the information in that particular folder. Within that, click on the tiny blue folder it is represented by in the upper left corner. Then use the paste command of CMD V. That will clip the .jpg image onto the blue folder. I do all this with the Finder program (should be a little blue square on the dock with two faces on it left side) I use ACDSee for my organization of scrapbooking supplies and it makes it super easy to see what's in what folder. Hope this helps.
    Lorna

My toys: Canon EOS 5D, 24-105mm, 70-200mm, macro 100mm
    My software: PSE v12, ACDSee Pro2
    My platform: I'm a Mac
    My blog: www.idiosyncrazies.wordpress.com

Photobucket

Lorna - thank you! I have to try this. I am thinking of buying ACDSee but it is so expensive and after buying Macbook I have to be more frugal
    Agnieszka

Oh to see the Preview ON your file, the wise women here pointed me to the img2icns app. FREE and super easy. I used to do it the way Lorna described but this little app is much much easier. I do it as soon as I upzip my downloads.
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5

Maureen -thanks!
    Agnieszka

13. I too have been using the img2icns application to add previews to my folders. It works like a charm and much easier than the older method which Lorna talks about. Both work equally well if you don't mind the clicking with the older method! I have had my iMac for almost five years and have a fairly new Macbook with Retina display. I upgraded the Macbook to Mavericks and now img2icns won't work on it.

I am afraid to upgrade to Mavericks on my iMac because I don't want to lose the capability of using this app for previews!!!
    Does anyone have Mavericks loaded on their iMac and does still have the use of img2icns?
    Mollie

My DD Gallery

DD Photo-a-Day Flickr Group

Software: Photoshop Elements 8.0
    My Gear: Canon PowerShot G10, Canon D50 , Tameron 28-300 lens and Canon 50mm - 1.4 lens
    Computer: iMac

Mollie, I have Mavericks loaded on my iMac and still have use of img2icns. I don't remember having to upgrade the img2icns or make any other changes.
    Terese

I can't wait to get my MacBookPro in the mail. I had to replace mine and I will definitely try this app... this place is just full of information and help all the time, I love it!!
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

Mollie, I've been too lazy to upgrade. Shame on me but check this article.
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5