Thread: Mac Users: Spring Cleaning all year round

Mac Users: Spring Cleaning all year round

I learned most of this when Anx was more active here and shared her wealth of knowledge on how to keep our precious babies running.

A clean Mac is a happy and fast Mac. One thing most of us hate to do is turn the whole machine off. However, just as we need sleep to resort our minds and thoughts, a Mac needs to be shut down so the various caches can be emptied of temporary files. Now if you are on this website you KNOW you are on the net and in your CS/PSE a lot. Every click can result in a stored temporary file. I try, note try, to close my browser daily and also to clear the cache as in Clear Recent History. Yes, you will have to sign in again to all those password sites but it's worth it for speed.

Totally turning you Mac off and not just shutting LR and/or CS/PSE is what you need to do when you start seeing your files get blurry or any of those programs gets slow or when beachballs or spinning blue balls appear more than you'd like.

Anke said she didn't know what Disc Utility was and it is an important tool for all Mac users.
    Disc Utility is under Finder, Applications, Utilities, Disc Utilities.
    Select your HD and then First Aid.
    Repair Disc may not be available, so select Verify Disc. Hopefully, you will find that all is ok. If not then, you will have instructions to follow.

Do the same with Permissions.

If there ends up being something you can't repair here on your own, then a trip to the Apple store may be necessary or if you're still under warranty, a call to Apple.

NOTE !!! Any time you have to got to the Apple Store or call Apple, the first thing they will ask is if you have a current backup. If your Mac is working just fine, do a backup today. With all computers, it's not If, it's WHEN. Having a dedicated ehd for backup that is done often is really, really important.

Other easy but not so much fun things to do is keep your Mac's desktop as clean as possible. If you need a folder on the desktop, keep it elsewhere and make an alias that goes on your desktop. ( I have a dh who has a newer, faster, more memory MacBookPro, and he is always complaining about slowness. However, his MBP desktop is as cluttered as his physical desktops. 'nuff said. ) Get rid of files/folders you don't need. Yes, this takes time but it will free up memory every time you do it.

hth someone!
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/Mavericks
    PSE11/LR5

Thanks, Maureen for all the good information. I hope to do some work cleaning and organizing my Mac soon.
    Janet
    software: CS3

My Gallery

What is this alias thing anyway? Is it just an empty clone that lets you click on it and will then take you to the original file on your ehd? I do need to declutter my desktop as well, I have backed up lots, but there are a lot of not-so-important things I still have to do... thanks for all the info, that really helps!
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

4. Thank you, Maureen. You are so good to take the time to write all this advice for us.
    Merrilee

Mac computer/Adobe Creative Cloud: CS and Lightroom; SonyA57

Anke, I love alias files! I keep a lot of things on (backed up!) external hard drives and have the alias on my desktop. e.g Downloads, the current month of unzipped and imgtoicns image added digi supplies, my Project Life 2014 folder...etc..Here's what Apple says...
    OS X Mountain Lion: Create and use aliases

To make it easier to find a file, folder, app, or disk, you can create an alias for it and place the alias in an easy-to-find location. When you open an alias, the original item opens.
    Create an alias

Select the item, and then choose File > Make Alias or press Command L.

You can create as many aliases as you need for an item, and move them to other folders or the desktop.

!!! wow! To create an alias and move it in one step, press the Command and Option keys while you drag the item's icon to another folder or to the desktop. Release the mouse button before releasing the Command and Option keys. (I didn't know this! and just remember, the Alias is the one with the little arrow on the top left corner. It's ok to delete that...just don't delete your original!)
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5

6. Maureen . . . you are an angel! I'll bet that I haven't cleared my history in two years. I never have thought of it . . . I might have cleared it once since I bought my Mac five years ago. This is bad isn't it? Well, I just did it . . . I feel so nobel!!!!! My computer is one of those stretched to the max . . . I have almost everything on three externals and have slowly moving all of the photos on one dedicated external. It is a good feeling to have them backed up . . . I will double back up and then delete them from my internal HD and then I will feel really amazing!

thanks so much for these instructions and for the timely reminder to do these forgotten tasks. I try to shut mine down about once a week or so, just because of the reasons you stated . . . rolling beach ball and blurry stuff. I do often make an alias of supplies that i'm using on an ongoing book and leave that on my screen, but have never thought of just making a folder of all that is on my desktop and making an alias of it and then moving the main file to an external. What a wonderful tip that one is!!!!

xoxoxo

P.S. I would do the disk utility thing on my iMac, but I don't seem to have that feature. my application folder is empty? what's up?
    Mollie

My DD Gallery

DD Photo-a-Day Flickr Group

Software: Photoshop Elements 8.0
    My Gear: Canon PowerShot G10, Canon D50 , Tameron 28-300 lens and Canon 50mm - 1.4 lens
    Computer: iMac

Mollie, dear Mollie, you know of course you DO have applications, otherwise you wouldn't be doing any scrapping etc. LOL

To see you applications, go to Finder, and search APPLICATIONS and see where your folder is. On my iMac, one of the places that says applications is also empty and I have no idea why. I do know that when my memory is getting clogged with temporary stuff etc, it takes a while for all the applications I have to actually appear. That's a reminder to me to also see what applications are ready for uninstalling or for the trash. It's always cleaning time....

And Yes, you are now a Noble and Wise scrapper! and I am having %(($# issues with my mail via Verizon. Fortunately, Dick called me and said that there was no Verizon mail service at NASA all morning. Even better, the internet is working at my son's house so I can still play here and also watch Netflix. What more do I need??? LOL
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5

Hang on back up ...

"One thing most of us hate to do is turn the whole machine off."

What??? Isn't that normal practice for everyone?? We've always turned our computers right off once we've finished using them. Truly do others leave them on, even overnight???
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

Thanks, Maureen! This helped my imac.
    ~Karen~

My gear: imac, CS5, Nikon D90, 35mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8.

10. Quote Originally Posted by carollee View Post
    Hang on back up ...

"One thing most of us hate to do is turn the whole machine off."

What??? Isn't that normal practice for everyone?? We've always turned our computers right off once we've finished using them. Truly do others leave them on, even overnight???
    I usually leave mine on all day, but do turn it off at night. I'm trying to make myself turn it off more. I get more done when it's off.
    ~Karen~

My gear: imac, CS5, Nikon D90, 35mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8.

If you are using Firefox as your browser, you can have it automatically clear your history and cache when you close Firefox. You need to set it in Preferences->Privacy->drop down menu with Remember history, check mark Use Custom settings->then check box with "Clear history when Firefox closes". And if you're using imacs...don't forget about Time Machine..the automatic backup onto an EHD. Mine backs up about every 15 minutes; gotta love that!
    Lorna

My toys: Canon EOS 5D, 24-105mm, 70-200mm, macro 100mm
    My software: PSE v12, ACDSee Pro2
    My platform: I'm a Mac
    My blog: www.idiosyncrazies.wordpress.com

Photobucket

Thanks for the tips, Maureen. I don't always turn my Mac off, but I saw you mention it in a previous forum post and now it's the first thing I do when things seem to be slowing down.
    Terese

oh boy, so many great suggestions. I am sooo guilty of not turning my computer off at night. I have started doing it as of lately though. I love this alias thing, I need to try that if I ever get my baby back. When I called yesterday I was told that it looked like I had indeed a deep root virus on there. I am sooo angry at that font site for having that stupid huge download button on there that led me straight to it. I just hope they will be able to get this fixed!!!
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

Carol, you have a good habit in turning your machine off at night. I myself have gotten lazy and at least 4+ days a week, just put it to sleep. Now when I get back home, I'll have to start practicing what I preach again!

Oh Anke....I'm so sorry to hear about a virus. I too have clicked on things my gut told me not to but fortunately never had a bad experience. I think we usually know if it seems iffy, it is iffy.
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5

Thank Maureen! As a new MacBook Pro user this is extremely helpful!
    Lisa
    SE Michigan

Camera: Canon T1i
    Lenses: Gotta look at them and let ya know
    Software: PSE 12 on Mac Pro