Thread: How can I improve the following....

How can I improve the following....

Hi girls,
    I've been following Cassie's tutorial on Brushes.
    And here is what I've done.
    I'm quite happy about it except for the picture. i think it is not smoothly integrated into the whole thing. How can I improve?
    Cali-Starbuck.jpg
    Silhouette Caméo, Sewing machine Toyota RS Séries,Crop a Dile2, BIA
    Photoshop CS6, Elements 11

What if the pic was B&W with only the green being spot colouring? Or if not B&W, perhaps partly desaturated but still with just a hint of colour?
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

3. Great idea Carol, and what about framing the picture before it goes in? Might add some interest?
    Brenda

4. Hi Pikabo
    I really like your composition of the page and it is great to know you like Cassie's tutorial. I think her tutorials are the best way to learn new techniques.

Perhaps adding one of Lynn's distressed or worn photo overlays over the photo would give it a nice finished look to go with the layers underneath.

Here's a link to Lynn's photo overlays in the store:
    http://www.designerdigitals.com/digi...&x=-154&y=-168
    Merrilee

Mac computer/Adobe Creative Cloud: CS and Lightroom; SonyA57

Following your advice here is the result.

Cali-Starbuck2.jpg

What bothers me is that I'm not happy with the clipping thing. I wanted the part behind the ripped part (right up corner) not showing.
    Here is a screen shot of my layers. What did I do wrong?
    Concerning the fading edges of the pictures... I don't know how I did that!
    Capture d’écran 2014-04-17 à 15.53.59.jpg

Pikabo, First you don't need to clip the frame to the photo. If you select the distressed frame layer then click with the magic wand inside that distressed frame it will select everything inside. Create a new layer below the photo and cmd+delete to make this layer the shape of the inside of the frame (it will be a white shape). After that just clip your photo to that layer. Does this make sense?

This is the non-destructive way, but you can also just erase the part of the photo that you don't want showing. Still you don't need to clip the frame to the photo. Hope this helps. :O)
    ~Kelly

I like Merr's suggestion of using Lynn's Torn Edges. I have this one which is similar ...

and included are layered templates/masks which have the mask, to which the photo is clipped and the torn look overlay which just stays on top.

If these aren't the ones you have, any small mask would work well I think.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

8. Like the idea of the distressed masks. You could also use a clipping mask to soften the edges (just search for clipping masks in the supplies). Love the layout!
    Patsy

I completely forgot until I read Maureen and Patsy's posts that yes, Lynn's edges have a mask for each. You just use them together. OMGosh, it takes a village with me. lol
    ~Kelly

It takes a village with all of us Kelly! I speak for myself.

I reread, and reread how to use the magic wand to delete the not wanted parts of the image being 'overlayed', and after quite a few attempts, finally got it. This is definitely one technique I immediately forget. Quite often. sigh.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

11. Out of curiosity where can I find the tutorial on brushes by Cassie that you refer to?

Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

So many great suggestions - I like the effect now with the photo framing.
    Sharon
    aka - justbnsharon
    DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

Hi Girls,

Here is the final result (well at least I think!). I'm quite happy about it.
    What is great with Cassie's tutorials is that is it always good to go back to basics because you learn how to do thinks properly.
    Concerning that right up corner well I have to admit I did it the laziest way by using the eraser. I wanted to use the non destructive way Mugsbigsis talked about but I did not manage to do it properly. I'll have to spent some time on it (I think there is a post about that in the tips section).

Cali-Starbuck3.jpg

Also what question..... What does the expression "to take a village to someone" means? I can't think of an equivalent in french so I have no idea what it means!!!! Thanks.

15. Ha ha... I use that expression ' it takes a village' all the time. I believe the original expression was 'it takes a village to raise a child' as in 'it takes more than just mum and dad to raise a child successfully, sometimes a whole village needs to work together to do the job'. And the exoression is still widely used that way but sometimes you will hear someone says 'yikes, it takes a village' about themselves and usually they mean 'I'm a little bit slow or silly and I need lots of people to help me to do something.' And, you know, most things are better done together anyway!
    Cathie

I love all the different suggestions and your final page is wonderful! I'm late to the game but here's the suggestion I would have tried. I like layers and elements, so.... I would have tried a deeper shadow on the photo, or played with frames. Then it would have adhered the photo with some fun tape!
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

If you are ever afraid of using the eraser, you can always add a layer mask to the layer you want to erase and then use a black brush (if the mask it white) to erase the portions. If you make a mistake, just switch the brush color to white and go over the section to bring it back. Layer masks were one of the great discoveries for me when I learned PS (not that I'm not still learning LOL)
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

I like very much the idea of multiple frames and tape. Gonna try that I think.
    But for now... trying another tutorial!