Thread: help with starting to organize all my Designer Digitals Products

help with starting to organize all my Designer Digitals Products

Hi everyone,
    I am now completely comfortable with Photoshop Elements 12, and I no longer use my other software to scrap anymore. My only issue is when I am looking for something (ie, a button or ribbon). Right now in my downloads I have all my products in file folders (ie. Kits, masks, paint, frames, elements, templates etc) But when I am looking for something (ie a button from a kit) I have to search thru all kits to find something I want to use which is becoming a very painfully, long task as my supplies are growing) and I am forgetting what each kit came with.
    Any tips on organizing? I see that photoshop has an organizer. But I am lost at where to begin

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance
    Erin

My camera- Canon Rebel SL1, my Iphone 5S
    My lenses- EFS-18-55mm IS, EFS 55-250mm telephoto IS,
    PSE 12

Erin, I finally found the product that works best for me - Lightroom 5. Tagging each piece of the supplies in a kit is time consuming but it's the main way of finding things, especially the more you have. Guess what? that tends to happen! It's very easy to buy more and more.

Before you pick a software program for organizing, you may want to try searches in your operating system - PC or Mac. For example, there is a button in Katie's SeaLife kit that is named KPertiet_SealifeMemories_Buttons-navy.png. If I go into my Finder on my Mac, and put 'buttons' it will pull up every image of a button (or layout or document etc) that has button in the name or in it. If you don't have too many supplies this can work for a while. hth!
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

PSE 12 has a great organizer!! I just did all of this...if you tag your supplies( bottom right) of PSE as you put them in...for example buttons , then when you are looking for buttons , you would just type that into the search space and all of your buttons will come up. Hope this helps, it took quite a while to tag everything but well worth it!
    Kathryn~
    http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d65/digigrandma/doodlebanner1.gif

I have about half my stuff in ACDSee, and half still in one big folder (and each download is in its own sub-folder).
    In ACDSee I have a button category that I can click on to see my buttons.
    For the rest of my stuff in that is still in the big folder, I can open the folder and use Windows to search for "button". All the buttons will come up. It also works for ribbon. Of course it only works because the designers were super smart and named everything with "button" and "ribbon" in the filename.
    ACDSee has the same search as windows. I don't use it to find buttons because I have the button category, but I do use the search for wordart because wordart is in one big category but I'll usually be looking for a particular phrase like "happy" or "photograph" (which again the designers were clever and added to the file name).
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

I've also made a start using the organiser in PSE (although I'm only on PSE7) - I've still a long, long way to go but every now and then, I search for something using it and I like what I see! I'd really like to sit down and just tag away till it's all done because when I do it in bits, I get confused with my modus operandi if I've taken a break of say a week or more!

I'd love a tagging fairy to come along and just do it all for me!
    Liz

My gear: Nikon D5000
    Software: PSE 7

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

Maureen, is there a place to learn about tagging in LR5?
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

oooohhh, a tagging fairy! Send her my way Liz!

I also use ACDSee and love it, although it does require discipline to tag supplies as I get them. You can search for two categories at a time, for example, all "blue" "ribbon". It does help save time. I also save previews of kits with their predominant colours because then I can search for "kit" "blue" and find all the kits that contain that colour. My problem is keeping up with the tagging. I find that kits are getting so large, it is a challenge to tag everything appropriately. I'd love to start tagging all my wordart because I do find that is one area that I struggle with to find supplies in my stash.
    Sarah

My Gear: very old Canon EOS XS
    Software: Photoshop, Lightroom CC, ACDSee16

Thanks for all the help and ideas. For right now I am just going to use pse12 organizer and see if "tagging" is worth it lol. My issue is that all of the tuturials for this are not for pse12 as i guess it is so new? so its confusing when things are not where the video shows. I have figured it out and yes Liz a tagging fairy would be great. I have been at it for hours now and havent even gotten very far!! I have tagged all my freebies from challenges tho so they all appear on a page that is nice!
    Erin

PSE 12

oh organizing...how I long for a good organizational structure lol. I started out in ACDSee and go in spurts and organize kits but it is such a large job! I have started to tag previews and that has helped me tremendously to get a quick look at things. I would love to take a class on organizing in ACDSee...

Erin, tagging is definitely worth it, just takes time. I have found in element packs where things are very similar I tag the preview only, that works for me. Only on kits or element packs where everything is different in it, do I tag the actual item. Oh and tagging the paper is the best thing ever, makes it so good to pick the background for a page.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

I need to tag-but, it has always seemed to be just out of my ability! I have everything in folders and spend a lot of time browsing through my supplies. Maybe someday... I did try to search, but it didn't work, but I won't give up! I have everything in ACDsee 17
    Valerie

Imagine the possibilities...and Happy, Happy, Happy!
    PSE12

Anke, I started out with LR4 but went to LR5 when they started making pngs visible. (I believe you now have LR5 from the CC even tho your signature says LR2.6) Here is a basic from Adobe on LR4 keywording.

I got my basic understanding from Kayla Lamoroux's Finding Photo Flow which I believe is still on the net, even tho Kayla has gone into other work.
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5

I found this true with a lot of the tutorials Erin because PSE12 has streamlined a lot of the actions. I did however manage to find them and they are much better then the old way! Tagging is very time consuming but when you are making a LO and all your choices are at your fingertips its wonderful. Just make sure you back up your tagging!
    Kathryn~
    http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d65/digigrandma/doodlebanner1.gif

I answered another person in the thread on what book to get about PSE 12. I suggested taking out a subscription on PSE magazine. I went to the web site just now and see that they have a tutorial at the moment about Organizing with PSE 12 Organizer. It is on the right hand side in the links. It looks like it is accessible for all. Just thought I should let you know. PET web site Direct link to the Organizing in PSE 12 In it he uses photos but you can easily substitute that for your stash.

Thank you so much. I will have to take a look. I had found one video that helped me enough to tag all my items in the organizer. (Yes I have actually tagged all my items) My eyes hurt from doing it and it took many hours but it is done. Just a little "tweeking" needed to get everything tagged exactly like I want. And oh my I love it. I have goodies I forgot I had!
    Erin

PSE 12

Quote Originally Posted by lizziet5 View Post

I'd love a tagging fairy to come along and just do it all for me!
    I would be your fairy if I could. I actually like tagging/organizing. Weird, yes. Guess it's the organizer in me. Lol.

I too like organizing and tagging but if I stopped and did it ALL now 1.my eyeballs would fall out and 2. I have no idea how many days it would take with and ever increasing digi stash. Anyone doing this at the start of your digi adventure is so so wise. I will say in a bit of my defense that the organizing options are more varied and much better than they were 7 or so years ago. Especially for us Mac users.
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5

Maureen- It took me 2 days to tag! (I am still tweaking it tho). I have everything in the organizer tho and couldn't believe how much I have bought since I found DD. And I LOVE it. It was actually pretty fun lol. But my eye balls did hurt!!! Anything new I buy will be tagged right away!
    Erin

PSE 12

I too am an ACDSee user and I just love it!!
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17