Thread: In the words of Bugs Bunny, I am SUCH a maroon.

In the words of Bugs Bunny, I am SUCH a maroon.

After all the posts regarding Apple's new IOS Mavericks and the pain it entails PLUS ACDSee Pro not even working with Mavericks; I decided to forget all that I read and install Mavericks.

Woe is me.

At first, I called Apple....what is going on here I asked. My ACDSee program is frozen; it's not working AT ALL. That won't do, you see, I'm a digi scrapbooker who lives and breathes PSE and ACDSee. After 45 minutes on the phone with the Apple gurus, they decided that it was an Adobe problem and I should call Adobe. Oh, and by the way, here's the phone number for them.

Another 20 minutes of my life I won't get back trying to locate a human (they aren't employed by Adobe; only machines) I had to write to them and was told it would take up to three business days to return my email.

Much gnashing of teeth ensued.

Then...a light dawned. Let's go searching the brain trust at Designer Digitals. Within a few seconds, my worst fears were confirmed. I needed to upgrade to the latest, greatest version of ACDSee if I wanted to continue with my bazillion items of stash. Or did I? Many talked about the new tagging feature of Mavericks. I tried it, but, to be honest, I really rather preferred my much loved ACDSee. So I downloaded the trial version to see if this was the road I should travel. I must say, it is sleeker and sexier than the last version IMHO. I really like it but it did not, repeat, DID NOT pull in my previous tagging efforts. I'm hoping that maybe, just maybe, when the trial is up and I purchase the full version, my tagging will appear as if by magic.

With all this said, does anybody know for fact that selecting all my items and hit "Embed database info for selected files" will that bring back my tagging efforts into the new version of ACDSee?

Sorry for the long rant, but I really needed to vent. DH hasn't a clue of what I'm talking about. I am the IT person here..."Hello, my name is Peggy!"
    Lorna

My toys: Canon EOS 5D, 24-105mm, 70-200mm, macro 100mm
    My software: PSE v12, ACDSee Pro2
    My platform: I'm a Mac
    My blog: www.idiosyncrazies.wordpress.com

Photobucket

2. Oh my, Lorna! What a mess this is. I have not answer for your question . . . I have never used ACDSee, so don't have a problem there. I have Mavericks on my laptop and it won't work with a couple of pieces of software . . . so I have not upgraded to Mavericks on my desktop.

I have found that Adobe is less than helpful . . . hope that you have better luck than I have with them. Have you googled your problem? I find that DD and Google are more help than Adobe. I've also had the buck passed from Apple to Adobe and the other way around. very frustrating for sure.

Good luck!!
    Mollie

My DD Gallery

DD Photo-a-Day Flickr Group

Software: Photoshop Elements 8.0
    My Gear: Canon PowerShot G10, Canon D50 , Tameron 28-300 lens and Canon 50mm - 1.4 lens
    Computer: iMac

Oh, no! So sorry! I hope you get it figure out. I haven't upgraded yet and not sure if I will, though I have been tempted.
    ~Karen~

My gear: imac, CS5, Nikon D90, 35mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8.

Oh dear! Isn't that just the worst with technology... when it works for us it's fabulous but when it doesn't it's horrendous. I too have no answer for you as I'm not familiar with ACDSee at all but I'm sure somebody here at DD will be able to point you in the right direction. I do hope you get it sorted soon! Hang on in there!
    Liz

My gear: Nikon D5000
    Software: PSE 7

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

I have only upgraded from one version to another on my PC.
    The key is to create a backup database on your old version of ACDSee and then restore that backup on your new version. On my version, these items are in the Tools -> Database menu
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

Adobe is awful to deal with! I have heard about the incompatibility, hence I have not updated my laptop and I don't intend to unless they come up with a fix... I did not spend all that money for ACDSee Pro and not be able to use it. I find it very annoying that they don't offer a patch but make you purchase a completely new version! At least sell it at a big discount to previous users.l I feel your pain! My DH is clueless and calls me for everything... the other day he even asked me what a multiple outlet strip was for! Happy Thoughts!
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

Sorry I don't have an answer for you Lorna but you might also try reading the forums at Elements Village. They are pretty smart and techy there. I totally agree with Anke re ACDSee. "I find it very annoying that they don't offer a patch but make you purchase a completely new version! At least sell it at a big discount to previous users.l I feel your pain!" imho, ACDSee may be the ideal program for PCs, but for Macs I think LR is the way to go for digital supplies and tagging. Just my opinion.

It has also been my experience that Adobe and Apple don't play nice with each other even though both benefit greatly from the other. I have had excellent live phone support from Apple when the issue was WITH an Apple product. I also had a genius who was the store super photographer at the time, give me some ideas re PSE even though he was totally a full Photoshop guy.

I've never had to attempt contacting Adobe but have at times found info on their forums. Not always the answer I wanted but...
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

Maureen, I have a question for you then (before I buy ACDSee again or something else) When Apple comes out with a new operating system, does Adobe still work with it? Or do you need to buy the latest greatest version of LR? TIA
    Lorna

Photobucket

To answer your question about embedding, I have found it virtually impossible to batch-imbed in ACDSee. I have had to open each folder and select all then click on embed. And like most digi scrappers I have way too many supplies to have this be a good method. Esther is certainly right though that you need to back up your ACDSee catalog on another hard drive before you attempt to restore the catalog in the upgraded version of ACDSee.

Personally, I am so frustrated by the whole issue that I have just stopped bothering with ACDSee and that makes me even more frustrated. I am just going to use the tags available through Mavericks and use Finder for general searches for now. It is really disappointing to lose all that tagging in ACDSee, so maybe when I have time I will take my own advice and back up the catalog and upgrade and see if my tags survive without having been embedded. Bleh.

Lorna, each software program/company makes their own decision on whether they will update their current product with the requirements of the newest Mac Operating System, or just make a new version of their product and expect you to buy it. Adobe products are usually very quick to adapt to the newest system. I've never had a problem with my various versions of PSE (from the original PSE 4 for Mac on up to 11) and I've gone through three operating systems...Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion. I've yet to get around to installing Mavericks. Just lazy there.

I can't say for any earlier versions of LR but I am using LR5.2 (5.2 update was free for LR5) and this says there is no compatibility issue with Mavericks.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

Lorna,

If it's any consolation to you, you're not alone! I did the same thing and when I opened ACDSee with no response, unfortunately
    I remembered too late that there was mention of how mavericks had issues with ACDSee. I also downloaded the trial version
    but since I have zero motivation to tag from scratch, I refuse to pay for the full version. I'm going Liz's way and using Finder for
    now. I have always kept a separate folder for DD supplies categorized under each designer and kits, elements, paper, etc. So it's
    not so bad using Finder. I've decided to just work on tagging kits. I don't know if you have the image to icon apps, but that is
    a huge help since it's also easier to just look through the previews. I scrapped two pages using this new flow and it's just a
    matter of getting used to it. Hope it all works out for you!
    Sylvia

FYI, I joined the 30MM yesterday and struggled going through my stash which drove me nuts.
    So I caved and bought ACDSee again! I do have to start tagging from scratch but I also get to refresh
    my memory with what I have and I have a better system with organizing everything.
    Bottom line is I'm a happy scrapper once again!
    Sylvia

Sylvia, yes I caved and bought ACDSee again and yes I have to re-tag my stuff. That is such a pain. I tried the new Finder tagging system and just couldn't get used to it. That's when I bought ACDSee. I'm up and running again AND re-tagging. It is nice to go through my stash and re-organize it a little bit better than last time!
    Lorna

Photobucket