Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you like to read?

Do you like to read?

I loved reading as a child!! These last several years though I find it hard to sit down and read. I will find an author that I like, but then the story becomes predictable, so I lose interest. Recently I've had some friends point me in the direction of some good books.

What are some good books that you would recommend to others? Are you and avid reader?

I've also considered signing Talisa (8) up on goodreads. She reads more books than any one I know. Have any of you signed up your kids on a site like goodreads? I think it would be fun to see what other books would be suggested for her!
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

Have you read any of the Outlander books? I'm re-reading them now to be ready when the TV series comes on this summer.
    Lorna

My toys: Canon EOS 5D, 24-105mm, 70-200mm, macro 100mm
    My software: PSE v12, ACDSee Pro2
    My platform: I'm a Mac
    My blog: www.idiosyncrazies.wordpress.com

Photobucket

You must read Kate Atkinson's 'Life after Life'. It is beautifully written and follows a woman from childhood through two world wars in which her life ends and begins again taking a completely different path each time. I was spellbound!
    Georgina
    My camera: Canon 5D Mark II
    Lenses: 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    Software: PSE 7 and Lightroom 3.7

Since I discovered digital scrapping, I don't read as much as I used to, but I always have a book going. I love mysteries, historical fiction, some biographies, and true crime. Right now I'm reading J.K. Rowling's new book The Cuckoo's Calling, written under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith. I never read the Harry Potter series, so I can't comment on style, but it's entertaining so far. I recently read The Monuments Men (now in theatres) on my Kindle. It was a little hard to keep the characters straight because it shifted from one to another, but the story was good.
    Linda

My gear: Nikon D700; 24-70mm 2.8; 70-200mm 2.8; 105mm 2.8; 50mm 1.4; 150-500mm 5-6.3
    My software: Photoshop CC on a PC; Lightroom 5.2; ACDSee 17

photo blink1_zps1b48dedb.gif DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

I used to read ALL the time! Usually had several books going at the same time... Love historical fact and fiction, crime, thrillers. Even some "Chick Lit"...
    Last couple of years have been quite overwhelming work wise, and on top of that I usually digiscrap or work on my genealogy research when I have some time to spare...
    But I do read nowadays, even if it's not much and usually historical biographies connected to my research, and I have two books close by right now.
    One is a book I finally found in a used book store (it's been out of print for some years) about King Gustav I of Sweden, and the other one is a book I bought in London in January, "The Plantagenets - the Kings who made England" by Dan Jones.

And I have my Kindle/iPad filled with books I really want to read!!! When I have the time...
    Thess

My DD Gallery

A Holy Mess - My blog on life, digiscrapping and genealogy

My Cameras: Canon 50D and Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ40

I am a very slow reader, but always have something going. Like Thess, I love historical fiction and the Outlander series is one of my all time faves, Lorna. I love Phillippa Gregory, too but I have to mix those up a bit with other stuff or I'll forget where I live and what year it is. lol I seem to fall for series books and now I'm reading the Kent Family Chronicles by John Jakes. Again, I'll usually throw something else in like Mrs Lincoln's Dressmaker or The Time Traveler's Wife to mix things up a bit. I'm going to look for Life After Life, Georgina. That sounds like a good one.
    I'll be back after others comment so that I can add to my list of books to read. :O)
    ~Kelly

I love to read and always have at least two books going. This year, my Goodreads goal is 150. I may not make that but last year it was more than 100 so ... I am Maureen (Annapolis MD) if you want to look at the books I read on Goodreads. I'm very catholic in my tastes but have come to love Scandinavian crime fiction. Who knew that would be something I like???
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

8. I like to read ... and read a lot....I love Fiction... I have read the Harry Potter series numerous times and I like the Eve Dallas series by J. D. Robb....I read with the Kindle now - its so much easier... I try to have a few books ahead ...I'm a fast reader.... when I was a kid I liked Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys and Perry Mason...I remember fondly riding my bike to the library and bringing home as many books as would fit in the basket....
    Debbie Douglas aka Minideb
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gif

9. Linda thanks for adding the title for this - I've been wanting to read it but I didn't know the title - just went to Amazon and added it to the stash.... sound familiar lol
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofoxford View Post
    Since I discovered digital scrapping, I don't read as much as I used to, but I always have a book going. I love mysteries, historical fiction, some biographies, and true crime. Right now I'm reading J.K. Rowling's new book The Cuckoo's Calling, written under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith. I never read the Harry Potter series, so I can't comment on style, but it's entertaining so far. I recently read The Monuments Men (now in theatres) on my Kindle. It was a little hard to keep the characters straight because it shifted from one to another, but the story was good.
    Debbie Douglas aka Minideb
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gif

10. Love to read! I like both fiction and non-fiction, but generally not current events. Most of my favourite authors are Canadian or British, but I love the Scandinavian crime novels too, Maureen. When I find an author that I like, I generally read all of their stuff and then grab each new book as it comes out...works for most authors, 'though I fear that I burned out on Terry Prachett. Love Alex Gray, Susan Hill, Maureen Jennings, Giles Blunt, Joseph Boyden, Linden MacIntyre, Mary Lawson, Jo Graham, John Sandford (the Prey series) and Wayne Johnston. I really enjoyed "The Science of Leonardo", by Fritjof Capra, "The History of the World in 100 Objects", by Neil MacGregor, "The Guttenberg Revolution" by John Man and "Malcom X: A Life of Reinvention" by Manning Marable, all non-fiction. "The Secret Daughter", by Shilpi Somaya Gowda was good as was "A Walk Across the Sun" by Corbin Bernson....OK, I'll stop now!

Kim, Isabel loved anything by Tamora Pierce, except "The Circle of Magic" series. Alana the Lioness, Wild Magic (Dane) and Keladry of Mindalin(?sp) were much beloved. They contain some mature themes, but generally present strong female role models. I read them all before she did, as she was pretty young (about Talisa's age) when she started to devour them, so that we could discuss everything first. Also gave her Tolkien pretty young, started with "The Hobbit". Richard Adams, "Watership Down" was a favourite too.
    Susan

Oh my goodness, you're all in a much higher league than I am on the reading front! If it's fiction, it's definitely some kind of love story being the romantic that I am! You know the kind where you don't have to think too much?! Having said that, I actually haven't read anything for ages and if I do pick up a book, it tends to be a photography book (not that it's helping me much!) or a magazine as I don't have much time to read these days.

I like the sound of the book that Georgina recommended so I may see if there's an e-version available from Amazon.
    Liz

My gear: Nikon D5000
    Software: PSE 7

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

12. I am an avid reader; always have been since childhood. I have the Overdrive app on my iPad so that I borrow ebooks for 21 days from my library. (This app has access to many libraries across the nation and all you need is a library card for your local library and either an iPad or a Kindle or a Nook)

You're in a very busy time of life, Kim. There are only so many hours in the day! Don't berate yourself if you find it hard to keep up with reading the way you once did. Perhaps, you could initiate family reading time one or more days a week when you all settle down with a book to read. As for books to read, looks like some good suggestions in this thread.
    Merrilee

Mac computer/Adobe Creative Cloud: CS and Lightroom; SonyA57

I love to read also and have been an avid reader since I was a kid. Back then, I couldn't get enough of James Herriott, author of All Creatures Great and Small and the two sequels to it. I wanted to become a veterinarian after reading them but then I found out how much science was involved and I nixed that idea...lol. Don't know about Goodreads! Will have to check that out. And thanks for the info on the Overdrive app, Merrilee! Will definitely be downloading that. Such a great idea.

I'm like several of you ladies and when I find an author I like, I read every one of their books. Right now, I'm reading a novel by Deborah Harkness called Shadow of Night. It's book two in a trilogy. The first is A Discovery of Witches and they're really good. Enjoying them a lot. I was a huge Vince Flynn fan - high on intrigue, spies, government corruption and terrorism. Would recommend his books to anyone that's interested in that genre. And I loved the Outlander series, too. Should go back and revisit them since it's been so long. There are a ton more but I certainly love all the suggestions here.

I have always loved to read - but have done little of it the last ten years due to work/family. As I have mentioned before, I found Audible.com and I am now "reading" audiobooks like there is no tomorrow. It is fantastic. I don't have time nor patience to do only "one thing at a time" anymore, so it is wonderfully freeing to me to be able to satisfy my need to read while doing other chores or driving.

Anyway, Goodreads is a great place to look for books. I have really come to enjoy it.

As many of you know, I am also an Outlander fan ("read" them all as audiobooks - fantastic!).
    I wanted to mention another series and author that I have enjoyed.... historical fiction.... Robert McCammon's series of Mathew Corbett. I have listened to the audiobooks and I truly enjoy the presenter - he does a fabulous job.

I enjoy so many directions except for historical fiction.... but I love a good mystery/thrillers or biography. I also enjoy books about history & theology. Then there is philosophy and the history of science..... on the other hand, I love anything about art/photography and design. Good grief, I am a mess.
    * Aino *

My gallery

: Nikon D4S & Nikon Df with various lenses.
    : Lightroom and PSCS6

I used to be an avid reader when I was young, but I think as I've gotten busier over the years I just don't sit down and read like I used to. I used to listen to a lot of talking books in the car, I found that was the way I "read". So I hadn't picked up a book for ages, until ... dare I even admit this ... 50 Shades of Grey came out! bwahahahaha

So at Christmas time Mike gave me two books, which I'm still yet to open, but I am looking forward to reading "Marathon Woman" by Kathrine Switzer. What an amazing woman! So that's next on my list of books to read.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

[QUOTE]So I hadn't picked up a book for ages, until ... dare I even admit this ... 50 Shades of Grey came out! bwahahahaha /QUOTE]
    LOL! Did you read all of them Carol?!!
    Georgina

Quote Originally Posted by carollee View Post
    I used to be an avid reader when I was young, but I think as I've gotten busier over the years I just don't sit down and read like I used to. I used to listen to a lot of talking books in the car, I found that was the way I "read". So I hadn't picked up a book for ages, until ... dare I even admit this ... 50 Shades of Grey came out! bwahahahaha

Not at all surprised. I devoured them too.
    * Aino *

My gallery

: Nikon D4S & Nikon Df with various lenses.
    : Lightroom and PSCS6

I read a bit almost every night! Love reading on my ipad and can't even imagine turning real pages anymore. I go in streaks tho. Not reading anything at the moment. I read a lot of Chicklit. I'm thinking of starting "Divergent" since the movie is coming out. I loved the "Hunger Games" Series. Carol, Aino and Georgina ~ Yep! I read all the "50 Shades" books! I loved how CG changed by the end of the series! Can't wait to see the movie next year!
    LoriS

My Gallery

I am a big reader, but mostly of middle grade books. I really enjoy them and since that is what my kids read it is fun to be able to recommend books to them or them to me. We also read together (not as often now) but I just started the 5th Fablehaven book (by Brandon Mull) with my daughter last night. Can't wait to see how this series ends!

Adult Authors I like: Harlan Coben, Nicholas Sparks, Tami Hoag. Adult books I have read this year: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (smart writing but didn't like the ending) and Labor Day by Joyce Maynard (interesting and easy read). Both are/will be movies.

Have I read 50 Shades of Grey? Yes, because I heard so much about how bad the writing was (from the writing/agenting industry) that I had to see for myself. I don't think I will read the last two as I'm not sure I can take any more corny and redundant descriptions of all the sexual goings-on! :-) And I can't even imagine how they will translate onto the big screen! (You will have to let us known Lori... LOL!)

Oh, I almost forgot to add some of my favorite books ever: The Book Thief and the books by Khaled Hosseini. Interesting how none of these are set in the happiest of times, but I think you pull away from them with a feeling of hope.
    Julie DeGuia
    Kennewick, WA
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by LoriS View Post
    I'm thinking of starting "Divergent" since the movie is coming out.
    I really enjoyed Divergent Lori! You should definitely read this before the movie comes out in a couple weeks. I didn't love the second two as much but I felt the same way with the Hunger Games series as well.
    Julie DeGuia
    Kennewick, WA
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Julie DeGuia View Post
    Adult Authors I like: Harlan Coben
    LOVE Harlan Coben, too! And Michael Connelly!
    Linda

My gear: Nikon D700; 24-70mm 2.8; 70-200mm 2.8; 105mm 2.8; 50mm 1.4; 150-500mm 5-6.3
    My software: Photoshop CC on a PC; Lightroom 5.2; ACDSee 17

photo blink1_zps1b48dedb.gif DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

You know Georgina, the third book is still only half read, all those shenanigans, I got bored with. Go figure!
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

I really want to read the 'Book Thief' and it's only 99p on iBooks (on my mac). 'Life after Life' is 99p too - wonder if it's the same in the states or Australia? There were lots of new releases at that price - pretty good bargains! (and less than the fines I usually end up paying for my library books!! LOL!) x
    Georgina

24. Loved "The Book Thief" and "The Hunger Games". Did not like "Divergent", at all.....the concept was interesting but the execution poor. But that's what makes the world go 'round. Cornelia Funke's young adult books were good too, "The Thief Lord", "Inkheart" and "Dragon Rider".
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by Julie DeGuia View Post
    I really enjoyed Divergent Lori! You should definitely read this before the movie comes out in a couple weeks. I didn't love the second two as much but I felt the same way with the Hunger Games series as well.
    I will let you know how the movie is! I love Nicolas Sparks books too! Don't think I've missed one yet!
    LoriS

My Gallery

My 'best book of all time' = "The Book Thief" but I haven't liked anything else he's written! LOVE anything by Geraldine Brooks, with "People of the Book" and "Year of Wonders" being my favourites of hers.
    Linda, I was reading, "The Cuckoo's Calling" while I was in London last. It was fun to be walking the same streets as Strike! Did you know there's another one out soon ("The Silkworm")?
    Kelly, I liked "The Time Travellers Wife", but I LOVED another one by Niffenegger titled, "Her Fearful Symmetry" (if you like a clever ghost story!!).
    Sharon

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

27. Loved both "Year of Wonders", though the end was kind of flat, and "The Time Traveller's Wife". I think that I'll be looking for "Her Fearful Symmetry" now, thanks Sharon!
    Just thinking how much I enjoyed "The Life of Pi", (Yann Martel) but I can't convince Isabel to read it.
    Susan

ooooooo, Thanks Sharon! I'll look that up!

Kim, the series that Nathan loved in middle school was the Redwall series. There are TONS of books and the characters are all woodland animals with swords and castles and such. I read the first one to the boys the summer after 5th grade and Nathan took off from there.
    ~Kelly

29. Fun thread! I agree, Life After Life was an awesome book! I also just finished The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt, which I liked a lot. Hmmmmm...what else. Where'd You Go Bernadette, by Maria Semple was good, and so was The Hypnotist's Love Story by Liane Moriarty.
    My current fave is by Jen Hatmaker - 7:An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess. You can check out the info about it on Amazon if you want - might not be everyone's cup of tea!

I love to read and it's my escape at night after a long day ... so it's trashy romances all the way! I do slip some others in there from time to time ... I loved Harry Potter, the Hunger Games, and I will probably read Divergent soon. I love the James Patterson books, especially the Honeymoon series. I also read Kristin Hannah, Robyn Carr, Kat Martin, LaVyrle Spencer, Nora Roberts, Dorothea Benton Frank .... the list goes on and on ... My Good Reads is getting full.

And yes, I read the 50 Shades series .... twice ...
    Lisa
    SE Michigan

Camera: Canon T1i
    Lenses: Gotta look at them and let ya know
    Software: PSE 12 on Mac Pro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast