Thread: transfering database - ACDSee

transfering database - ACDSee

Hi all,

Just like Georgina, I just received my brand new shiny computer (Dell XPS 15). Amazing machine and while I am very excited about the hi resolution screen (like the Mac retinal display), I was less that excited to see that Windows 8.1 can't open Photoshop CS at that resolution!!! I know...a few expletives popped into my head too! I've found a hack which works ok until Adobe and MS decide to play nicely in the sandbox and find a solution to the scaling problem.

In the meantime, I now also have to contend with moving my entire ACDSee database with all the tagging over to the new computer. Has anyone done this and do you have any tips or advice. I read something about embedding the tags into the metadata...or something like that??

Thanks all!
    Sarah

My Gear: very old Canon EOS XS
    Software: Photoshop, Lightroom CC, ACDSee16

You don't HAVE to embed your tags to move over, but it is a sort of backup option.
    You only need to create your backup file (Tools -> Database -> Back Up Database)
    Then on your new computer
    * Install ACDSee
    * Copy your digital scrapbook files into a location with the SAME PATH as it was on your other computer (for example my kits are on D:\Digital Supplies)
    * Copy your ACDSee backup database from your other computer to somewhere (the desktop, where ever you can find it easily)
    * Import ("Restore") your backup database (Tools -> Database -> Restore).

I really didn't believe that this would work so simply when I did it. My heart was pounding and my palms were sweating. But it was incredibly simple!
    I just wouldn't delete anything off your old computer until it is all up and running on the new one.

Good luck!
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

Wow, leave it to Esther LOL. I need to copy and paste this explanation into a document for future reference
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

Oh I so have to save this for when my new computer arrives. A PC, hmmmph to you Mac girls !!!!!
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

I've had to do the same thing just when I've upgraded my ADCSee. So glad Esther was up and online to help you out!! (thought when I've done this, I've had to contact a friend of mine to help out)
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

Esther, you are amazing. Such clear instructions! OK, I am going to give it a whirl. The good thing is that I am keeping the old computer, so there is no rush to delete anything. I'll report back!
    Sarah

How can it not work, with Esther's great instructions! and boy aren't we thrilled when one of these processes IS simple!
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

OK, it sort of worked. It seems that all the categories transferred over fine, but something must be wrong with the path because when I used to drag things into PS, now it can't find the file. I will have to play around with it a bit I think, but any other suggestions?
    Sarah

It sounds like you've restored the database just fine. The files are not where the database is looking. The files have to be in exactly the same location.
    What was the folder they were in on your other computer?
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4

OK, so I think I got it. Funny how you can look at something for ages and not see the difference. The path was exactly the same except when my husband set up me as a user on the computer, he used sterkeurs instead of Sarah. I looked at it for ages before figuring it out. Also, there were a number of supplies that didn't get copied over for some reason, so when I was trying to pull things up that were in the catalogue, they weren't actually in the file. I think that I've got it all over now and it seems to be working!! Thanks Esther for your help!
    Sarah

Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

Fabulous! It is a relief, isn't it?!!