Thread: First PS question!

First PS question!

O.k so I've installed PS - it looks fairly similar to PSE 7 - only much more complicated! I've opened an unfinished scrapbook page and wish to add more elements. I found these and opened them - in PSE they were all down at the bottom of the screen ready for me to drag up onto my page and yet in PS I don't seem to have that option! Help!!
    Georgina
    My camera: Canon 5D Mark II
    Lenses: 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    Software: PSE 7 and Lightroom 3.7

Georgina, honestly the best thing you could do would be to open one of Cassie's tutorials and follow it for PS. There are a lot of things that are totally different such as clipping a paper to a mask. It's a simple cmd+g in PSE but it is not in PS. You will get the hang of it, but I would find it very frustrating to try and figure it all out on my own.
    ~Kelly

I hear you! Off to find it in the store now! Thank you Kelly! x
    Georgina

The project bin is the one thing I still miss from PSE, and I've been using CS for years! I get around it by splitting my window in half vertically, with my page on the left and products on the right.(Window -> Arrange -> two-up vertical).
    Then I copy and paste the stuff onto my page or drag the layer over.
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

Thank you Esther - I'm sad to lose the project bin! I feel this is going to be a steep learning curve.... x
    Georgina

Yikes Georgina, you're brave! But I've no doubt you'll get there! I'm still with PSE7 and there's still so much I don't know! Enjoy playing with your new toy!
    Liz

My gear: Nikon D5000
    Software: PSE 7

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

I've been watching Mike with his CS5 I think he's using, or it might be 6. (I'm still comfy with 2!! ha). I noticed in I think the "view" button or it might be the "windows" button that you can "float" your windows, so you can see them side by side, much like the older versions of CS which I'm used to.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

I like dragging and dropping my elements onto my pages! I drag from ACDSee, but if you don't have or use this program, you can just drag from Windows Explorer (or the iMac equivalent). This makes them come in as a smart object...leaving the file name intact which is SUPER handy for credits! Good luck!!
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

There are many options on how to organize your workspace in PS. I float my windows in the workspace and drag and drop supplies on to my page. If you drag the icon next to the element title on the top of it's window on to your page, it will come in as a new layer with the element, paper, etc name on the layer. I find it helps a lot when I go to list my supplies for a page I upload. I hope this makes sense.
    Terese

I missed the project bin when I first switched to CS, but now I don't even think about it. You'll get used to it, Georgina!
    Linda

My gear: Nikon D700; 24-70mm 2.8; 70-200mm 2.8; 105mm 2.8; 50mm 1.4; 150-500mm 5-6.3
    My software: Photoshop CC on a PC; Lightroom 5.2; ACDSee 17

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

you can drag straight from finder.... or float all windows and move them about as you need to get to items. thats what i do anyway
    read all about it!... -->http://britgirl.typepad.co.uk/
    My DD gallery!
    I use; CS6 and LR5 on my beloved iMac!
    I'm a Canon girl I have a 5D MRK II.

I use the tabbed view. I open the element, press V to go to move mode, then drag on the element on to the tab of the page. Keep it there for a couple of seconds, and it will move to that window. Press shift as you drag if you want to release exactly centered.
    -anx -

My Gallery
    My toys: Canon 5D mkII, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Canon 100 mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 50 mm f/1.4, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8
    iMac with Lightroom 5, Adobe CS6 Design Premium

As a non-CS user, I'm curious if there is a way IN CS to have each element etc come in with its file name? I would really miss that feature and now understand why the subject of having file names for credits come up so often.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

Maureen, I'll have the page I'm working on open in CS and then open an element, etc in a separate window. With the Move tool selected, rather then dragging the actual element on to my page, I'll drag the jpeg icon, next to the element filename at the top of the window, on to my page. That way each element layer on my page includes the filename. It helps me with credits.
    Terese

Terese, are you on a PC?

eta: Seems like there a few ways to make sure the credits are in the name of the layer. How so Adobe that none of these seem to work in PSE.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

The technique Terese explains is equal to using the "Place" command
    The icon showing the document type doesn't show up with tabbed view, only if the element is floated in a separate window.
    -anx -

My Gallery
    My toys: Canon 5D mkII, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Canon 100 mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 50 mm f/1.4, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8
    iMac with Lightroom 5, Adobe CS6 Design Premium

I'm on a Mac, Maureen and I float windows in the workspace.
    Terese