Thread: ?? About 12x12 jpeg files

?? About 12x12 jpeg files

I haven't been here for a LONG time but am getting back in the groove this winter.....Digi is a great Hibernation Season activity here in ND. I have a question from all you experts out there....I Scrap 12x12 LO's and resize right away to an 8x8....I do not plan on ever printing the 12x12's out...Do I dare delete all my 12x12's LOL Right now I save 12x12, 8x8, Web sized and PSD file of every LO. I just want to make sure there is not some reason I should not delete them......of course it is possible I am a Digi Hoarder too ......a bunch of us on another site think that sounds like a Reality Show just waiting to happen

I always create my pages as 12x12 and then when I order the site resizes the files to either the 10x10, 8x8 or whatever square size I am ordering. It makes it much easier and quicker!! HTH!
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

Had not thought of that as I always print them out myself....have a new Epson printer that does an amazing job on photo paper and doesn't seem to rip through the ink cartridges....but may want to save for this reason if I should at some point want to have them printed....

I save mine just as the 12x12 because the sites do usually resize them to 8x8. I save all three the psd, jpeg and web version. Nice to have something to do during all that cold you guys are having.
    shhbabymine (sarah)
    canon rebel xti
    PSE5
    my gallery

5. Hi Ande,
    If you want to save space on your hard drives, I would delete everything EXCEPT the 12x12 PSD.
    There's really little reason to save the jpgs and web-sized versions after you have uploaded them or printed them.
    You can easily go back and make them again from the full-sized PSD if you ever need them.
    You never know if at some point you'll get a coupon for a free 12x12 book or something and then wish you had that size ...
    Sara

My DD Gallery: sarahorton
    My Blog

I will keep the psd for sure ...have already gone back and made changes.....Will have to think about this a bit.

I create at 24X12 exclusively, but print half-and-half 12X12 and 8X8. I am strongly considering moving to 10X10 . . . I agree with Sara. I keep only the 12X12 PSDs on my system. I do save a DVD with all my pages burned as JPEGs, just in case something happens to me in the future and my kids don't know how to work with Photoshop---for whatever reason or another. But on my computer I only keep the PSDs. I am a fan of high-resolution, so I don't ever resize anything down. And if I want to see pages for whatever reason, I run a Photoshop batch that will flatten all my LOs into JPEGs.
    Sarah
    Equipment: Canon T2i (550D) with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses
    Software: Windows 8, PSE 10 (Editor), PSE 6 (Organizer), and PSCS 4

I create all my pages 12x12 and I keep the psd, JPEG and web version... I know this is excessive but I too am a hoarder! However, the real reason is that my pc is so, so slow so jpegs and web versions are handy for me in a hurry without having to go into PSE and flatten image, etc, etc. if I were pushed to make a choice it would be psd files hands down.
    Liz

My gear: Nikon D5000
    Software: PSE 7

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

For me, it's all about storage space. So once, I've printed the pages, I delete the psd and web versions and just keep the 12x12 jpg version of the page. This may be sacreligious but it works for me and so far, I haven't needed to go back to any older layouts that I've done.

After printing I too delete the jog file and I keep the TIF files!! I refer back to them often. Which I also great if I realize a typo after printing.
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

I keep both .pds and .jpg, but have an automatic action that deletes the web-jpgs regularly (Hazel ) If I had to choose between them, I would probably keep the .psd. I can always make a new .jpg, but I can't reverse a .jpg to a .psd.

Note: To keep the .psd to a minimum, crop it before saving. I mean crop to 12x12 at 300 ppi. I doesn't look like there's a difference, but when you crop, you delete everything that sits outside the canvas (elements, etc). It can save a lot of space. Also, make sure to delete your hidden layers You can save 50% or more of the file size this way - I just did it with one of my PL 8,5x11 files, and the size went from 81,4MB to 34,5 MB
    -anx -

My Gallery
    My toys: Canon 5D mkII, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Canon 100 mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 50 mm f/1.4, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8
    iMac with Lightroom 5, Adobe CS6 Design Premium

12. I usually upload the 12x12 size because most of the printing sites will resize to 8x8. As for saving on my computer, last year I started just saving the psd files as I had so many files on my drive! If I need any size or resolution of jpg, I can just open the psd and create what I need in jpg format. Keeps my computer much neater!
    Patsy

Thanks a bunch!......Will do some housekeeping this winter

Quote Originally Posted by anxela View Post
    I keep both .pds and .jpg, but have an automatic action that deletes the web-jpgs regularly (Hazel ) If I had to choose between them, I would probably keep the .psd. I can always make a new .jpg, but I can't reverse a .jpg to a .psd.

Note: To keep the .psd to a minimum, crop it before saving. I mean crop to 12x12 at 300 ppi. I doesn't look like there's a difference, but when you crop, you delete everything that sits outside the canvas (elements, etc). It can save a lot of space. Also, make sure to delete your hidden layers You can save 50% or more of the file size this way - I just did it with one of my PL 8,5x11 files, and the size went from 81,4MB to 34,5 MB
    I do the same as most everybody else as far as minimizing the space. But cropping the psd file is something I never remember to do!! Need to work on that!
    Brenda - wife, mother, animal lover!
    Canon Rebel T3i
    Windows 7 & PSE 11

15. Yes, cropping the psd file and deleting hidden layers is a big space-saver!!!
    Patsy