Thread: Favourite driving tunes?

Favourite driving tunes?

My car recently needed a new battery, and of course I couldn't find the radio code afterwards. Cue two weeks of silence while driving - I hated it!! Too easy to get into your own thoughts then. I gave up in the end and visited my local Renault garage for a new code. I'm so much happier now! (Well, except that the car is now back in the garage needing a new exhaust, but hey ho).

So, what tunes do you like while driving? Hard rock? Something with a beat? Or do you prefer the silence?

I'm lucky to live in the country, so a lot of my driving is along quiet country roads where I can put my foot down. I do like a song I can sing loudly to, at the moment I'm loving a bit of Stereophonics, I always like the Foo Fighters for loudness, and if I'm really needing to get a bad mood shifted I pull out the Meatloaf CD lol! Apart from that, I'm still on a 90s kick, my sister lent me a 5CD set of 90s tunes and those are just fun to play in the car. Reminding me of being a student.

I've just signed up for a trial of Spotify, so am making up some playlists to use. Would love some more suggestions to add.
    Chrissy x

My software: PSE 12 for Mac, run on my Macbook Pro!, yay!
    My camera: Canon EOS 600D or still my trusty IXUS 950IS ( though it clunks a lot opening its shutter), or more likely my iPhone 4S

My blog

I more often than not listen to talk back radio when I'm driving. Either that or I'm listening to podcasts.

I do however listen to music when I run now, I'm finding that energising.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

Great thread Chrissy!

It's been absolutely ages since I've listened to a CD in the car... It's always the radio for me - even then I sometimes find I've not been listening especially if I've got my mind on other things! I listen to Heart radio, particularly the breakfast show and the 'driving home' show! I do however use my iPod when exercising which has a complete mishmash of music on it, although not very much! I don't gorgeous for a particular group or artist, just if the song catches my ears, I'll download it. Michael Bolton, Rihanna, Katie Perry, Rod Stewart, Ellie Goulding, Journey, Shakira, Doobie Brothers are just a few on there... see what I mean? A completely mixed bag!
    Liz

My gear: Nikon D5000
    Software: PSE 7

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

My drives are usually under 3 miles so it's mostly silence in the car for me. When I drive to hospice, an hour away, I often listen to podcasts. I've especially enjoyed The Moth as the stories are fascinating. But other times I do use that time to 'get into my own thoughts' and reflect on some things going on. I appreciate the easy drive and the almost meditative quality of that drive. When I drive home, I often put a local station that has classic rock w/o jabber on. I cannot take the inane chatter of some djs.

On the other hand, when I drive to see my son & family, same distance and time as hospice, I usually have silence or classical radio on because of the heavy and often crazy traffic around and through Washington DC. Too intense to add more intensity to! I need to shut off my hearing to keep my other senses at peak.

On a long trip, I'll often make myself a playlist with music of that part of the US. Many of those playlists do start with Willie Nelson's On the Road Again though. That is a real get in the mood one for me.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/Mavericks
    PSE11/LR5

I too like a mix of things, but I really enjoy something with a beat! Keith likes to listen to books on CD when we travel, but I zone out. So now he listens to them on his iPod, I listen to the radio or hook my phone up through the car and the girls watch a movie!

Even the girls enjoy listening to music! Kira even asks me to turn it up! Right now they are obsessed with listening to the soundtrack from Frozen.
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

I can't be in the car without music ... and, I'm afraid I can't be in the car with music without singing along either. It's a family affair it seems. The first time I took Gary home for a vacation he asked me after we'd been there a bit, "Does everyone in your family sing in the car?"
    I like all kinds of music in the car except classical or jazz. That's just not car music . . . maybe it's because there are no words, hummmmmm.
    ~Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by maureenreynolds View Post
    My drives are usually under 3 miles so it's mostly silence in the car for me. When I drive to hospice, an hour away, I often listen to podcasts.

I'm really showing my ignorance here ... but what is a podcast Maureen?
    Liz

My gear: Nikon D5000
    Software: PSE 7

Haha, yes, the kids are used to me singing too, Kelly! I was very good at not letting them realise there were children's tunes CDs, but now Amy's liking One Direction, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry so she likes to hear them on the radio.

Maureen, love the idea of specific playlists for your trips! At my sister's wedding on Sunday we realised it's a month till our parents' 40th wedding anniversary. So we asked the DJ to play a request for them, 'On the road again' was the track we chose for them!
    Chrissy x

My camera: Canon EOS 600D or still my trusty IXUS 950IS ( though it clunks a lot opening its shutter), or more likely my iPhone 4S

My blog

It's usually talk radio for me unless the kids are in the car, then it's whatever they like Hits1 or what they have on their phones
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

Well.... NOW you're talking.

I love to listen to Audiobooks when driving to and from work and when I am alone in the car. Or podcasts. I find that both are an excellent use of time.

But, when music is the thing I need, then I love music I can sing to (I know about every 80-90s tune by heart) and yes, it is 80-90s music. I also dip back into 50-60-70s. It's all good.
    And I like the music loud. With the windows down.
    I love classic and opera too - but that's for work.
    * Aino *

My gallery

: Nikon D4S & Nikon Df with various lenses.
    : Lightroom and PSCS6

We have Sirius XM radio and I'm usually listening to The Spectrum station, an eclectic mix of old and new artists. I also tune to Sirius XMU and Alt Nation to keep up with new music. I used to listen to cable news stations a lot more, but (according to my husband) I was developing a rather negative outlook on life. So now I sing which is much better for my metal health!
    Terese

I cannot be in a car when its silent!!!!! holy hell!!! I need songs VERY LOUD if I'm by myself, and I like to sing loudly too - Kelly i am you, but a british version
    I make playlists, and get bored fast.... I make a new cd for the car every month, with current favourites on.
    I love the pitch perfect soundtrack to sing along too - the girls are most excellent at a lll of those songs Mind you like me, they sing along to everything....
    and I like to listen to Radio 1 in the mornings on the school run. {I am rather cranky first thing and it usually makes me chuckle...} I love Bastilles album, and am not border of that yet, but usually I pick my months songs from the radio 1 & 2's playlists.
    Oh every Dec 1st we have a Christmas Cd placed in the car and its on repeat till dec 26th. and then I hate it so am glad to switch the something current!!!
    read all about it!... -->http://britgirl.typepad.co.uk/
    My DD gallery!
    I use; CS6 and LR5 on my beloved iMac!
    I'm a Canon girl I have a 5D MRK II.

Oh Liz...maybe it's more a US thing? podcasts i.e. Here's a link to The Moth . You can listen to episodes on your computer, smart phone or ipod. I subscribe to about 8 or 9. Digi stuff, cooking, and book programs as well as a few 30ish women. It's fun to hear how I used to think.

Mel, I'm with you on the Christmas cds. On my computer, I have a long Christmas playlist and even then, by Christmas I - am - done. But each Thanksgiving I love starting the listening again.

When I am in the car with himself, we have to have silence. He can't listen and drive and we have totally different tastes in music. Totally. I often just listen to stuff on my phone or Pin like a fiend on Pinterest. If you ever see me with loads of pins, I must be a passenger in a silent car. Alone, of course I sing. Doesn't everyone???

btw, has anyone forgot to turn the volume down when they come home, and in the am, get a shock when the radio comes on full force? :0 it's worth it for the laugh.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/Mavericks
    PSE11/LR5

I love listening to podcasts too, memory keeping, Digi scrapping and running podcasts are on my subscription list.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

No matter how hard I try or how early I get up (trying to have everything go VERY smoothly in the mornings), with Claire mornings are often more than a little stressful. I find I NEED something as soothing as possible on the way to work. So it's always our classical music station on the radio - they have an excellent breakfast programme that's on at the same time as the journey to school.
    Sharon

That does sound soothing, Sharon.

I do listen to the radio a lot in the car, usually BBC Radio 2. I'm impressed so many of you can listen to podcasts while driving. I know Peter sometimes listens to audiobooks on long journeys, but somehow it seems like too much concentration would be needed for my liking. Haven't tried it though, and I know I can't find any other time to listen to podcasts, so maybe I should give it a go. Just need a better stereo in my car which will link to my iPhone first!
    Chrissy x

My blog

Every time I start my car it is a trip of almost 20 miles on a gravel road....so that being said, I love listening to any type of rock and roll...and usually very LOUD to muffle the sound of the gravel and rocks. Bon Jovi, Fleetwood Mac, Bruce Springsteen. And at Christmas it is Mannheim Steamroller and Trans Siberian Orchestra full blast!!!
    Pam

My Stuff: Nikon D80, Nikkor 50 mm 1.4, Nikkor 18 - 135mm, Nikkor 80 - 200mm, Speedlight SB-600 and my Epiphanie Lola Camera Bag!
    Software: Dell Studio XPS, PSE 11 and Bamboo Fun

What a fun topic.. I'm with the rock n roll crew.. the guys at work say they can tell how bad the traffic is by how loud my radio is when I pull in.. the longer I'm stuck in traffic the louder it gets.. no cases of road rage here I just sing to the top of my lungs while I'm sitting there helps channel all the frustration LOL
    We do not remember days; we remember MOMENTS

My Gear:
    Nikon D50, Nikon D200, SB600, SB800,
    Nikkor F1.4 50mm, various zoom lenses
    PSE 8.0 for Mac and a wonderful 21.5 IMAC
    Wacom Intuos 4