Thread: Ice Hockey and Photos

Ice Hockey and Photos

I just got back from a weekend in Chicago watching my youngest grandsons play ice hockey. I discovered a few things.

*Ice hockey is exciting to watch! It moves very fast.

*6 and 8 year old boys can skate amazingly well, backwards and in circles. They can turn and stop on a dime.

*Hockey rinks are encircled by plexiglass for the safety of the observers and to the consternation of grandmothers trying to photograph their precious grandchildren. What crummy photos you get through plexiglass, especially when the plexiglass is all scratched and full of smears.

*If anyone has photographed ice hockey, I would love any pointers you might have!
    Lynn (also known as Lynnie!)

No advice on shooting ice hockey, Lynn, but I will commiserate that trying to get shots of chickens is just about as hard. They're like toddlers; they're never still. And you have to shoot through chicken wire which makes focusing a real challenge.
    Linda

My gear: Nikon D700; 24-70mm 2.8; 70-200mm 2.8; 105mm 2.8; 50mm 1.4; 150-500mm 5-6.3
    My software: Photoshop CC on a PC; Lightroom 5.2; ACDSee 17

photo blink1_zps1b48dedb.gif DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

Could you go you higher in the seating area and shoot over the dreaded plexiglass??? I am really no help here....but wanted you to know that I sympathize.
    Pam

My Stuff: Nikon D80, Nikkor 50 mm 1.4, Nikkor 18 - 135mm, Nikkor 80 - 200mm, Speedlight SB-600 and my Epiphanie Lola Camera Bag!
    Software: Dell Studio XPS, PSE 11 and Bamboo Fun

I have a ton of hockey photos, all through plexiglass. I thought most of them came out good. The ones I took from really high up turn out better, because I can aim the line of sight over the boards, unless I want a shot in the near goal. This is TJ Oshie at full-speed during a warm up drill through the glass, and yes it is a little blurry because I was still trying to set my shutter speed. I think I was at 1/200, 5.6, ISO 800. Later on in the game I dialed to 1/250 and those were better.

Sarah
    Equipment: Canon T2i (550D) with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses
    Software: Windows 8, PSE 10 (Editor), PSE 6 (Organizer), and PSCS 4

Here is one of the all-out action during the game, from the very top row in the PNC Arena (I think it seats about 20,000?). Not as much detail. Also if there are no restrictions on lenses, a faster lens will do better. I can't bring a lens longer than 4" into the PNC Arena so I have to use my junky kit telephoto. The photos from up high are a lot darker because the lighting is so bad in the rafters. So if you are on ice level, maybe use a longer lens so you can blur the boards and focus on the skaters on the ice.

Sarah
    Equipment: Canon T2i (550D) with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses
    Software: Windows 8, PSE 10 (Editor), PSE 6 (Organizer), and PSCS 4