Thread: Has anyone combined their LR Photo catalog with their LR Digi catalog in LR5?

Has anyone combined their LR Photo catalog with their LR Digi catalog in LR5?

This was the advice I had from Kayla Lamoreaux back when she first started using LR for digi organization. She was so clear about her reasons and methods, but I just couldn't bring myself to do that then. Now I'm almost ready. It would make using LR PRINT templates a lot quicker but I cannot fathom it totally. I'm good at backups so I don't worry there but that's a whole boatload of stuff in one place to open and work with. I really want to get these old trips of ours done but not just in photos on white. I need some digi stuff!

Anyone go this route yet?
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/Mavericks
    PSE11/LR5

You are amazing Maureen! I have no idea! I have my digi supplies in ACDSee and intend keeping them there. I have had to load digi supplies into LR for use in photo books - mainly papers for page backgrounds. But that is as far as I have gone.
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

I'm afraid this is way over my head, I don't even know what you are talking about So sorry...
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

Esther that was the main point. Unless you have a paper already imported into LR you can't have it as a background to those images. Doing it paper by paper per album would work but I think I'm going to bite the bullet and combine the two catalogs in a week or so. Then I'd save each print page as a jpeg and take it into PSE to add any journaling/elements etc. I tried my free template out today and I like the feel of that process. Just get the images laid out and working from there. For clean and simple albums it suits me.

I suspect we are coming to the same place from slightly different directions.

Anke, your design skills are way over MY head! :0
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5

I've considered it many times, but my process for importing photos to LR and then tagging them and coloring them (yellow for needs edit, green for share with friends, blue for finished, etc) means I really like having only photos in my LR.
    Since I need to import everything into PSE before I'm done with a page, I figure I'm not really saving time. I use PSE Organizer for all my supplies, so I keep everything there and organized.

Maybe it just comes down to thinking about photography as separate from scrapping for me. I print the photos for the walls, cards, etc. - ie. more than just scrapping.

Good luck with it - sounds like you've thought through and it will work nicely for you.

Maureen, I still have my Catalogs separate. I'm not using LR Templates *yet* and I wasn't willing to risk any of my family catalog. Also, the sheer number of digi-stash related keywords that I would introduce would "overwhelm" my own personal tags IMO. I'm using my MBP currently to do this tagging and it is running smoothly. Periodically I run Optimize and plan to play around with the Pre-Render feature in LR5. I have 60,000 items in my digistash catalog now and am tagging away. My (few) previous Bridge tags were also imported automatically.

One thought for you...why not just select a handful items from your Digistash LR Catalog which you might want for an album - giving yourself variety - and create a Collection. Then save this digistash subset Collection off as a catalog. Open your Family photos catalog and File>Import From another Catalog - this new Collection you created. That way you wouldn't have to deal with the whole big merged catalog. You can later delete this extra Collection catalog after each project. You can also remove those items from your Family Photos catalog when done. Just a thought. I know I have at least 10,000 photos in my Family Catalog and there is not a scenario that could convince myself to merge that with my 60,000 digi items. ~Joan

Maureen, you'll have to let us know how it goes! I'm still at the "import a paper if I need it" stage. I'm like my catalogs separate because they are for very different purposes, but I guess if they are all in LR but in different folders you can always separate them if you need to. Yes, Anke's design skills blow me away. That's what is so terrific about our community - we each have our own little forte that we can share.
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

Joan and Esther, I have decided that the 'make a collection' in digi catalog and import from photo catalog is the way I'm going right now. If I use the LR Print templates, it will be the reverse...but I'll have to do a bit of playing around and learning first. Thank you all for the suggestions and guidance. Right now I'm plugging away at that Spain and Portugal trip. I'd like to have some books ready for sales this year even if I'm not sure I want to go that way.
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5

I am by no means an expert at Lightroom, and I haven't used the printing or book options, but I do keep both my photos in Lightroom and all my Digital Supplies. I have a few smaller catalogs for pictures from different stages of life, so I don't have all my digi supplies in EACH Lightroom catalog. Only the one that's current. But, I love it! No switching between different software programs to get pictures, then to a different program for supplies. Obviously each person has their own system, but I like having it all in one spot as I dig around for photos and for scrapbooking files.

For each layout, I usually make a collection in Lightroom called "Current Layout," and fill it with supplies that fit my inspiration or the look I'm going for. Then I can just go there for the papers and embellishments that match or that I've used already. Tends to streamline the process, which I like. If I use a certain embellishment from a kit, and I don't want to see too many repeats in my layout, I'll turn it a certain color so that I know it's already been used.

Don't know if this helps. I watched the tutorials on Kayla Lamoreaux's blog to get me started, and I'm liking it a lot so far. Good luck!

Thanks Miranda. I'm getting a feel for that process now. I really wish Kayla were still active in this subject. I bet she has come up with wonderful tweaks by now!
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5