Thread: problem with styles and effects in PSE 10

Unhappy problem with styles and effects in PSE 10

I recently tried to add an oil painting action to PSE 10 Did it according to instructions. Did not work but neither did layer styles or photo effects show up. Deleted the action--still not working. Reset computer to time prior to installation--still not able to see layer styles or photo effects. I have Microsoft 7 operating system.( I also deleted the metadata file as per instructions.) If I look in the program data all these items are there but not available when I am in elements. Does anyone know the answer?

I am not familiar with this action or elements. Best of luck figuring this out! I'm sure it will look fabulous once you've worked through all the kinks!
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

One possibility is that it was an action for Photoshop CS, not Elements, although I think what happens there is that the action appears but won't run.
    So when you installed it, did you see all your other actions and styles in the same folders? I would have thought that if you put the new action and style in the same folders as the other actions and styles you should be able to see them on Photoshop.
    I don't know that I am being much help here!
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

I have no idea about PSE but there are some good experts here who work magic, so hope they can work it out for you.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

I don't know the answer but I have a suggestion. PSE11 was the first version Adobe made of PSE that made it possible to easily install actions and styles. It is literally as easy as clicking one "load effects" button. There are lots of times you can upgrade for a relatively low price, so that is my suggestion. I hated messing about with all that "delete metadata" and fifteen steps to install styles or actions before upgrading to PSE11. I had similar results to what you've described all the time and it was so frustrating! Now I love styles and actions, but before PSE11 I stopped trying to install them.

Installing actions in PSE 10 and below is a royal pain! Yes, it changed with PSE11 but so did a lot. I'm on a Mac so my methods are different but...

First, I'd try reading through this Texas Chicks tutorial. http://www.texaschicksblogsandpics.c...-on-windows-7/ I've always found them to be clear and correct.

I see that there are a lot of steps for Windows 7 so I'll stop my griping about how hard it is to do an a Mac! LOL hth! You may also want to check the web page of the action designer to see if s/he offers any advice. Some designers are better than others about tech support, kwim?? Good luck.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/Mavericks
    PSE11/LR5

7. Hi Pam! I'm glad there are some folks with suggestions for you. Hope you get it worked out satisfactorily. Love the layouts you post, Pam.
    Merrilee

Mac computer/Adobe Creative Cloud: CS and Lightroom; SonyA57

Glad to see you've got some help here... I'm on PSE 11 now, so everything loaded up easily. I do remember what a pain it was loading actions on the older versions. I think I remember one version (not sure which!) where you had to close PSE and restart PSE (not restart the whole computer!) to get the loaded actions to show up.

Good luck... you'll get it working with all this help!
    Debi

My DD Gallery: beehive50
    My Camera: Canon 60D
    (Lens: 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, 70-200mm f/2.8)
    My Software: Photoshop/Lightroom Creative Cloud
    My Platform: Dell PC w/Wacom "Bamboo" Tablet

Debi it right in that you have to close PSE and then open it again before the actions show up. It's a simple step that is missed sometimes. Hope it all works for you soon.
    ~Kelly

Sorry I am no help here, but hopefully with the above advice you can get it working now. Must be very frustrating.
    Jenelle

My Gallery

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

that's what I love about my PS, double click on an action and bam, it's in there
    I'm really sorry, I'm no help at all, I don't have the slightest idea how to do this...
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

Thank you for all the helpful suggestions. Bright and early tomorrow I'm going to try them out. Really appreciate all these fast responses. You DD gals are the best!

Pam

Hi Pam, I'm hoping you've found a solution... I'm working on PSE 7 but sadly have no knowledge of the techy stuff behind what I see on my screen! And when I see the word metadata I get the shakes! Maybe worth searching the web for this issue as I'm sure you'll find someone who's had the same problem? Hope it comes right for you
    Liz

My gear: Nikon D5000
    Software: PSE 7

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

WOW! I used the download action according to the Pioneer Woman, as per suggestion, and IT WORKS!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you so much.
    What a relief to have that solved.

Hugs to All

Pam

Yay!! So glad you got it all figured out!!
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

Wahoo! Wahoo! Yippee! Yippee! I was also going to add that I find help for elements sometimes by going to elements village but sounds like you don't need that now.
    Lynn (also known as Lynnie!)

Glad you got it going Pam!
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/Mavericks
    PSE11/LR5