Thread: Anyone using Lightroom Templates for book making or scrapping puposes?

Anyone using Lightroom Templates for book making or scrapping puposes?

I bought one set of templates in a size/pattern I knew I'd use, but have yet to install them and not really sure if I recall some of the bits on using templates. I know I can find videos but also wonder if anyone here uses any and how you feel about them. Pros and cons.

I have LR5 but mostly use it for the basic editing of my images and have another catalog for all my digi supplies <--- my main use of LR which I Love Love Love.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

Maureen, I have no idea, but I am looking forward to seeing what the others say. I've just started enjoying the benefits of LR for both cataloguing/editing my photos. I also use a different system for my supplies.
    Sarah

My Gear: very old Canon EOS XS
    Software: Photoshop, Lightroom CC, ACDSee16

I have only used the templates in the book module. I created a book using LR templates and exported it to jpg, ready to import into a photobook of my choice. I posted some pics on my blog: http://snippets-by-esther.blogspot.c...lightroom.html
    I've saved a few of my own templates but basically I've just used the ones already in LR.
    I find the built in templates are quite simple and easy to adjust using the cell padding, etc.
    A couple of things do bug me
    * the template picker is a bit of a pain - I find it does not make it easy to choose the template you want
    * I am sure there are some amazing automation processes you could set up so that once you've flagged your photos, etc, you could have them feed into your book automatically complete with captions and need minimum tweaking. For example if I decided all my 5 star images will be full pages I can auto import them to fill every second page. But after that I haven't worked it out yet!

I think I am going to have to use this approach to get my 6000 photos from my 4 week USA trip culled and organised into photobooks. I was thinking of scrapping a spread at the beginning of each section (day/place/whatever). I am almost to scared to start!
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

Wow, Esther your book is amazing! I am going to have to play around with this. I was unhappy once again with my last Shutterfly book, so I need to find another option that works for me. I'll check out the tutorials/classes that you linked to and perhaps give it a try with my Christmas album.
    Sarah

Hmmmm.... I'm going to have to check this Lightroom thingy out...! I know nothing about it Maybe it's something that needs to go on my wish list?!
    Liz

My gear: Nikon D5000
    Software: PSE 7

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

I have a set if LR templates but they weren't as user friendly as PS. Maybe it's just the different that I didn't like.
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

Thanks Esther. I thought you had done a book this way.

For me some of the harder part is deciding which photos to go where. In watching the videos in the past it seemed that you needed to have a feel for the look you wanted first and that Lr did not seem to be as forgiving for moving about as CS or PSE is ...or perhaps as I'm used to. Like most of these things I guess it just means jump in and play/work it out for myself. As intuitive as the rest of LR is for me, the book module seems to have been designed by other minds.

I know I don't want as much white space as so many of the installed templates seem to have. I'm not selling books, I'm recording trips just for us. I found 15 big trips we've taken since 2001 so I hope I live long enough to get some done! Yikes.
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5

8. I recently used the book module. I used the templates they provided which were super simple. The process was easy. My system crashed when I tried to save it but when I reopened it it was all there. The cover was a pain. It looked great in LR but in the Blurb preview it looked awful. It was the weekend so the customer service was by email only. By the time they got to looking at it they told me to look at it magnified. Seriously? So a few more back and forths and then I said I would like to reuplaod the cover. The woman who was helping me did not respond for 3 days. So when I checked the book shipped I called them. They were not at all apologetic. They told me the woman who was handling the issue was away for two days and it was my fault I did not reply fast enough. I said I think you need to recheck all the email correspondence because your facts are wrong. Then the fellow told me to calm down. That they would redo the book if necessary. Calm down!?! Seriously. They had no idea how irate I can get but this was not one of the times. I elected just to wait for the book.

Here's my take.
    Easy to use templates.
    Book looks great. The cover was fine even though it looks wonky on their website but not in LR.
    Expensive. The book was twice the cost of my usual Shutterfly. I'm not sure it was worth it.
    Customer service. Two thumbs down.

Sorry but I didn't have a great experience with Blurb. I seem to have gone on a rant. Sorry Maureen.

Rant on Doris...that's what gives us an insight into how customer service works or doesn't. Thinking how different this is from Persnickety where they call YOU if they see something wonky. I think I did a Blurb book and it was just fine. A softcover 8" Italian trip - either there or Mixbook. Which reminds me we loaned it to friends and I want it back!

I haven't thought through where I'd do books or if I'd just go on to some things in printed form for some of the albums I already have. (Michaels etc sale specials. ) Perhaps I'll play with what I've got since I trust you to mean simple if it is simple. I wish I could get my mind round how they're thinking in that module. I'm not there yet.

Thanks for your input!
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5

10. Oh I wish I could come over and show you.
    Is there a particular thing that is tricky for you?

I find the module easy to use, it's just the template picker that is not very helpful.
    Julianne Kost has a good video on using the book module. I thing I've watched it 4 times!
    One advantage of the way they do their templates is that if you thing you want, say, 4 photos on your page and have it all arranged and then decide to add a few more, you can just choose a 6 photo template, the photos automatically slot in and you can just drag them around to reorganise them. I didn't have any trouble moving things around.
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4

I wish we could do some kind of webinar so that we can all learn about it. Hmm....has DD ever done webinars? Like a miniclass. It can be set up with just audio and one person sharing their screen or I think you can alternate screens as well. The tutorials are great, but if they were interactive and then recorded, it would give us all a chance to ask questions in real-time?
    Sarah

I'm going to give myself time to actually watch the videos recommended and play next week when Mr. R takes his bicycle to Florida and I have lots of free-er time. Thanks all!
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5

Frankly, it's easier for me to just use the Blurb software on my computer rather than LR. Feeling your pain Doris. I once had a Blurb book that came with a couple random photo pages of another family right in the middle of the book. That felt really weird and intrusive, and of course, I assumed another family got some of mine too. They made another book for me for free.

Doris and Myra, that is not pleasant! I've never had any trouble with Blurb, but I have read many tales of woe online. They are not Persnickety, that's for sure!
    But you don't have to order through Blurb! I didn't. If you're doing a 12x12, just export the pages as jpgs and import into your favorite printer's software.

16. Each one of you girls is way smarter than I am!!! I don't have a clue what you are talking about and I have LR.
    I know that you will prevail and succeed, Maureen . . . you are one smart cookie.!

I do love reading so I plod on trying to understand your book talk!!
    Mollie

My DD Gallery

DD Photo-a-Day Flickr Group

Software: Photoshop Elements 8.0
    My Gear: Canon PowerShot G10, Canon D50 , Tameron 28-300 lens and Canon 50mm - 1.4 lens
    Computer: iMac

While I said the Book Module, I realize I really plan to work in the Print Module, where as Esther said, you don't have to use a print service. You can just 'export' or as they say in that module, Print to File, which saves a full size jpeg that can go in any book service, or just get printed, or taken into CS/PSE for more additions. It does not save a psd. (Adobe does want to sell more software so I can see why they may do this.)
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5

Mollie, we are talking LR4/LR5 speak. If you have LR3 - which is a great product to organize your photos - you don't have the book module.
    Maureen, I use the Book Module and export my whole book as jpg. I haven't played much the Print Module. I prefer the Book Module for working with books because you can move pages around and see the whole book in one view rather than working with individual pages only.
    Now I think about it, if you're using templates you have to stick with the Print Module. You can't import templates into the Book Module. Sorry if I've confused you.
    Book module.JPG