Thread: Minecraft for Dummies?? (or parents?)

Minecraft for Dummies?? (or parents?)

Anyone know of a site or something that breaks down the details of Minecraft for Parents? My kids love the ipad version and now they want to move on to the computer version. But I just don't "understand" it all and would like to know more about it before I let them get it. For example, do they play multiplayer on the computer? What are seeds? What does "servers" mean in Minecraft? Are there privacy settings? Can they type to other people?? What is a Zombie, creeper, etc......I know the kids know the answers to most of these questions, but the parents??Anywhere this is all in one place?? (On a side note, I have not yet even searched for such a place...thought I would ask the experts first )
    Bailey

My Gallery

My Blog

Software/stuff: PS CS3, Lightroom 2, Wacom Intuos3
    Camera: Nikon D300s & backup d40x, 55-200 4.5vr, 50mm 1.4G

I was about to say... let a kid get on here and they can answer all these questions!
    I too would like more info. My boys are usually last to a trend, but minecraft is something they have a growing interest in. We have pocket edition on the phone and ipad, but I am also curious about the computer version.

I hope someone can help us out, Bailey! I am so glad you started this thread!
    Amy Mallory

MY BLOG

Minecraft drives us bananas. My kids love it but I am constantly monitoring how often they play with it.

Josh is the only one allowed on the computer version. He set up everything and set up privacy settings so that he only "chats" with friends. The "creeper" is the enemy that can destroy your world. Zombies are similar... they walk around and try to get you. From what Josh has described to me the "seeds" generate the worlds you create. The servers refer to the multi-player capabilities.

The pocket edition is simply a truncated version of the computer... you can do more on the computer. This is why my son begged us for MONTHS. What my husband and I decided to do was put Minecraft on just one of the users on the computer. It has a password that only Tony and I know. This way they can only play when we are around and we can limit the amount of time.

It really is like electronic legos but can be very addicting.

I wish there was a parents guide... it is WAY over my head.

My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3

Instagram

I was recommended this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Minecraft-Guid...de+for+Parents

I haven't read it. My girls just have minecraft on the ipad and are happy building houses and railroads and stuff and want nothing to do with zombies or creepers or whatever they're called. I still can't understand the attraction but they really do get addicted to this game.
    Donna

My Gallery

NIKON D600, 24-70mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, Macro 105mm 2.8, 28-300mm & FUJIFILM X-E1
    PSE 10, LR 4
    iMac & MBPro / Mavericks

My kids have moved on to Minecraft on the xbox so that they can play multiplayer - I won't let them join a server. Servers are mine craft "worlds" - a saved version of the game - that other people are playing on at the same time.

There are multiple levels - creative and peaceful are what my kid's games are usually set to. In survival you find the creepers (exploding monsters) and zombies. But that is a choice you make when you start the game.

I'll have to look up that guide for parents! We just ordered on Scholastic the mine craft handbook - but that's for kids.

As my kids look over my shoulder watching me type this, they want you to know that wood is the most important thing. Mines are also important, and wool to make a bed. But mostly wood
    Beckie

Who knew there would be a book??? I bought it. Thanks for the help! Now I won't feel like my son is talking in code!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hendon View Post
    I was recommended this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Minecraft-Guid...de+for+Parents

I haven't read it. My girls just have minecraft on the ipad and are happy building houses and railroads and stuff and want nothing to do with zombies or creepers or whatever they're called. I still can't understand the attraction but they really do get addicted to this game.

My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3

Instagram

7. I find all of this very interesting because my 9 year old grandson is into Minecraft on the iPad. He has said he could do more if he played it on a computer, but, his parents have not allowed that yet. Of course, I don't understand it at all!

At one time I was into building cities on Sim City. I just wanted to built pretty cities so I turned off disasters. Anyway, I thought it was very fun, so, I kind of get that kids get hooked on minecraft.
    Merrilee

Mac computer/Adobe Creative Cloud: CS and Lightroom; SonyA57

That's funny Bailey - I nearly started a similar thread a few weeks ago and after doing a Google search for just that - "Minecraft for Dummies" - I was able to bamboozle my kids with all sorts of lingo and things I knew about Minecraft!!

Both my boys are addicted to the game and we only have the version on the iPad and iPod touch (they do sometimes play together in the same world on the same server at home (and I can hear them arguing across the house wondering why on earth they are fighting when they are in separate rooms!!) Nick had wanted to join a realm or something like that and it was basically a multiplayer option but without a server. I said no as I need to understand it all a bit more first.

His school does allow the kids to play Minecraft (it is encouraged in their ICT/Computer/iPad lessons) and they can all play/build/create with each other on the one server. I can definitely see the educational benefits of the game but I do limit the time they play it.

My kids really only play in the creative mode where they can build. Survival mode I believe is where the zombies/attacks occur!
    Jenelle

My Gallery

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

Oh boy I have a couple mind craft addicts. It gets played on ipods/iphones and we have the xbox version. I have been being bugged about the computer version but didnt know it actually existed. I do not understand the game. All I know is they build big houses!!! lol then i guess i tune them out.
    Erin

My camera- Canon Rebel SL1, my Iphone 5S
    My lenses- EFS-18-55mm IS, EFS 55-250mm telephoto IS,
    PSE 12

DD (11) has a Minecraft Magazine blog and did a post for you (typed out one handed thanks to broken arm!)

http://amazingmining.blogspot.co.nz/

What a sweetheart she is, Lynn!! So well written. She'll go places!
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

Wow Lynn your daughter is awesome! Tell her thank you from me . I think I'll have to get a brain transplant before I really get it though!! - it's a bit like reading martian .
    Donna

My Gallery

NIKON D600, 24-70mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, Macro 105mm 2.8, 28-300mm & FUJIFILM X-E1
    PSE 10, LR 4
    iMac & MBPro / Mavericks

Lynn, Give her the biggest hug from me!!!! I am sure that post will make her blog VERY popular!! She is brilliant and I am so thankful she took the time to type that out one handed!!!!! What a sweetheart! She answered many of my questions! I think we will be waiting a little while before we jump into the Computer version. I am happy to read that there is no blood and gore (despite Zombies and skeletons, lol)! I am also glad to know I am not the only Mom who is totally confused about the whole thing!!! I think we'll stick with the ipad version until his Birthday in May and possibly treat him as a gift. The "addiction" thing is something that concerns me as well. It has to be highly monitored. They (even the 6 year old) really get hooked!!!
    Bailey

My Gallery

My Blog

Software/stuff: PS CS3, Lightroom 2, Wacom Intuos3
    Camera: Nikon D300s & backup d40x, 55-200 4.5vr, 50mm 1.4G

I have heard if this game but I have never looked into it. If I ever do, I'll know where to look for info!
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Grieveson View Post
    DD (11) has a Minecraft Magazine blog and did a post for you (typed out one handed thanks to broken arm!)

http://amazingmining.blogspot.co.nz/
    My kids appreciated the blog post too
    Beckie

I was beginning to think we were a little crazy in our house. The only thing Jake is passionate about is Minecraft. If I happen to wake up early - like 6 am on a Saturday morning, the light is already seeping under his door, and I know he's busy at work. I know he doesn't do the zombie thing. He likes to build. But I also know he goes into different worlds. He has sworn to me that he doesn't communicate with anyone.

It got to the point that we no longer let him play at all during the week. He is allowed to play on the weekends, but he has to give me 15 minutes of piano for every hour. Sheesh!

Maddie is a lifesaver. I'll show this to Jake. Thanks everyone for making me feel like we have a normal 11 year old in the house! I thought it was just us!

Quote Originally Posted by Myra View Post
    I was beginning to think we were a little crazy in our house. The only thing Jake is passionate about is Minecraft. If I happen to wake up early - like 6 am on a Saturday morning, the light is already seeping under his door, and I know he's busy at work. Thanks everyone for making me feel like we have a normal 11 year old in the house! I thought it was just us!
    Well hopefully I have a normal 6 year old and 8 year old!! Corey is an early riser and, like Jake, I often find him in bed building away on Minecraft at 6am!!!

Lynn - DD1 is a GEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (But we already knew that )
    Jenelle

My Gallery

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif