Thread: What are you shooting with and why?

What are you shooting with and why?

Thought this would be fun and interesting to match up people's personal photography styles with their cameras. The gap is closing on SLRs with smartphones and mirrorless cameras. I'm curious - what are you shooting with, why did you choose your camera, and if it's a SLR, what is your favorite lens?

Here's mine:

Canon 7D - I wanted the 5D Mark III, but couldn't justify the price for full frame - yet. It's high on my wish list! I chose Canon because it felt right in my hands, and I liked what I read, and love the L series lineup.
    My favorite lens is hands down, the 24-70L II. It is to die for.

Would love to hear about your gear too!

2. I've been using a little Nikon Coolpix for a couple of years after my Kodak camera died. It was just a cheap little replacement that I never intended to use for long but what with buying a new computer, new bowling balls, external hard drives, etc. I just never got another one! I don't have a smart phone but my dh uses the iPad for photos - awful quality but I guess a photo of awful quality is better than no photo at all!
    Patsy

I use a Canon Rebel T2i. When I wore out the shutters on my Xsi the sales man said, "let me introduce you to the professional line." In the end I stayed with the rebel simply because it fit my hand so much better than the larger/heavier "professional line." I would love to have an iphone to take pics with, but that's a little ways down the road I think.
    ~Kelly

I have an old EOS XS and would LOVE to get a new camera. I just find lately that I am disappointed with many of my photos. I love the 50mm lens for low light, which we seem to have a lot of in the winter. On my wish list is also the 5D Mark III, but I also can't justify it right now. One day....
    Sarah

My Gear: very old Canon EOS XS
    Software: Photoshop, Lightroom CC, ACDSee16

I shoot with my Mark III and my iphone 4S. Honestly the only reason I have a Mark III is my business. I really needed it for weddings especially. But, it is pretty fun to have in the camera bag My favorite lens used to be my 24-70mm but lately I keep my 50mm 1.2 on it most of the time. I just find that it works in most situations for me and it is lighter

My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3

Instagram

Wonderful questions, Myra!

I have the Nikon D700. I absolutely love this camera. I would have to say that my favorite lens is also the 24-70 because it is so versatile, but I love my Nikkor 105 macro which I use for lots more than macro shots. It has dreamy bokeh!
    Amy

my gallery

My stuff: Nikon D700; Nikkor f2.8 24-70mm, f2.8 105mm, and f1.4 50 mm lenses; Tamron f2.8 70-200; Photoshop CC, Lightroom, iMac, MacBook

I also have the Nikon D700 because my husband has techno lust. The lens that's on my camera most of the time is the 24-70, but I also love the 105 for macro shots.
    Linda

My gear: Nikon D700; 24-70mm 2.8; 70-200mm 2.8; 105mm 2.8; 50mm 1.4; 150-500mm 5-6.3
    My software: Photoshop CC on a PC; Lightroom 5.2; ACDSee 17

I have a Nikon D3200. It was my birthday present a couple of years ago to upgrade from my D40X. I love it and it works well for me as I am still very much learning when it comes to slrs. At the moment my 35mm lens lives on it as light can be terrible in parts of my house. Poor Poppy constantly has it in her face lately. I also have an older panasonic lumix point and shoot for when I don't feel like taking the nikon.
    Trace

I have a Canon EOS Rebel XS. and i bought a new telephoto lense (55-250mm) for it. As much as I love my camera I do want to upgrade to a better model. But probably stay with the same series as I would like to keep and use my new lense. (unless anyone knows if I can use my lense in another series of Canons). I plan on making my new camera purchase at the end of summer as my daughter is taking photography in school next year and I was going to get her her own DSLR
    I also use my Iphone for a lot of my pictures too especially when my camera is not in arms reach !
    Erin

My camera- Canon EOS RebelXS
    My lenses-18-55mm, 55-250mm telephoto, My Iphone
    PSE 12

I shoot a Nikon D600 and LOVE this camera! I fretted over the decision to move to full frame, but haven't regretted it for a minute, something that was made all the more clear to me when it had to go to the shop and was gone for 54 days....not that I was counting or anything.....

I love my 24-70mm f/2.8 and my 105mm f/2.8 macro! The 24-70 pretty much lives on the camera, as it's so versatile, especially this time of year with a lot of indoor shooting. I am really excited to be shooting a wedding for a friend of our daughter in May....and I am planning to add Nikon's 70-200mm f/2.8 to my bag prior to the big event. I've rented that lens several times and found it spectacular, I'm thrilled to think of owning it myself!
    Connie

11. Canon Mark II. It was a step up from my 10D BUT over the years I'm finding the 8 focus areas handicap me. Lol. I would love a markIII but I can't justify the price esp since mine still does a good job. I'm interested in the mirrorless cameras but don't know where to start.
    My favorite lens 70- 200 f2.8L. It never disappoints!

I love a photography gear thread....yes, I am a gear-head and technogeek. Luckily for me, my dh has realized that I don't want diamonds, but some new gadgets are much more fun.
    I have a Nikon D800 and a Nikon Df that I shoot with. I am mostly a prime lens girl, so my fave ones are 35mm f1.4 and the 85mm f1.8.
    * Aino *

My gallery

: Nikon D800 & Nikon Df with various lenses.
    : Lightroom and PSCS6

Quote Originally Posted by Aino View Post
    I love a photography gear thread....yes, I am a gear-head and technogeek. Luckily for me, my dh has realized that I don't want diamonds, but some new gadgets are much more fun.
    So with you Aino!
    Connie

I have a Canon 7D. I bought it because my girls played volleyball and I found a point-and-shoot just did not take photos in a dimly lit stadium. By the time I mastered the camera and could afford lenses that were great in those conditions the girls had all grown up and left home!!
    I still love my 7D though and use it for general family photos and bird photography.
    I also have an Olympus Tough TG2. It is so much fun because it is an underwater camera, has an amazing macro setting and has a fish-eye lens that you can attach! It also has a hand-held star setting which I use for night photography. It is so light and compact. I can do things with it that would require all sorts of expensive gear and tripods on my DSLR. Sure the resolution is not as good, but it's so quick and fun!
    I'm afraid I just can't get into iphonography.
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

I have a canon 5D mrkII I adore it. I don't have as many lenses as I used to... but I like what I have, and I use them all; which is important to me. I love to choose a lens and make myself use it for a few days, the only way you learn what each lens is about, what it does and doesn't do. I am loving my little 28mm at the moment. fun lens. For pro shoots I use my fifty, or my 100mm. I chose prime over zoom nearly every time
    read all about it!... -->http://britgirl.typepad.co.uk/
    My DD gallery!
    I use; CS6 and LR5 on my beloved iMac!
    I'm a Canon girl I have a 5D MRK II.

I have a Nikon D700, which I love, love, love. I'm a backyard birder, and enjoy capturing (shooting just didn't sound good) the different birds that come into the feeder. So my go to lens right now is the 70-200mm F2.8. If I'm doing studio work, I use the 50mm 1.4 or my 60mm 2.8 micro.
    Nikon D700
    Lens Nikon 24-70 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 60mm 2.8 macro, Flash SB600
    Dell PC, PSE5 and Wacom Bamboo fun

I had visions of a SLR at one time, then realized I was really sick of carrying any more weight on our many trips. Once I upgraded to the iPhone4 series, I found what works for me. Plain ol' iPhone4S. I like the size a lot, and unless iPhone 6 is smaller than the 5, I'll be using that model for a looong time.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

Great thread Myra!! I have the Canon 5D Mark II and love it! I bought it right after the III came out so the price dropped and was a bit more affordable! I was so excited to have a full frame and I have been so happy with my purchase! I only have three lenses (see my signature). My favorite goes back and forth between the three!! I've been using my 24-70 more lately and just love it! I love the others with their low light and how they are smaller/lighter!

Now to start a thread on our dream lenses and what I should save for next....

My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

19. I've been a Nikon lady for 10 years but two years ago bought myself the little Fuji X100 and it's just about the only camera I ever use anymore. Small, fits in my purse and it takes photos that are spot on almost every time. It's spend but worth the price I think. I have thousands of dollars in lenses that are collecting dust, but don't miss them a bit!
    Camera: Nikon D200
    Lenses: Nikkor 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 18-200, 60mm macro
    Software: Photoshop CS2
    Other: Speedlight and the clear & cloud lightspheres.

I'm a Nikon girl and shoot with the D800. You will find my 24-70mm 2.8 on most of the time. About the only time it is off my camera is when I am shooting sports events. I have started using my IPhone camera a lot more in the last year. I have the IPhone 5.
    Terry

Terry's Tales

Gear: Nikon D60
    Software: CS4
    Platform: Mac

21. Quote Originally Posted by tnkbuzan View Post
    I've been a Nikon lady for 10 years but two years ago bought myself the little Fuji X100 and it's just about the only camera I ever use anymore. Small, fits in my purse and it takes photos that are spot on almost every time. It's spend but worth the price I think. I have thousands of dollars in lenses that are collecting dust, but don't miss them a bit!
    Is that one of the mirrorless cameras that I have been hearing about.....tell me more!

Great thread, I am camera shopping this year. There was a new 34x zoom Nikon? point and shoot that looks promising, or a 60x zoom Canon that may come out in the spring- I sold my Canon Rebel-the lens switching I did constantly drove me crazy-
    I want a point a shoot with a long zoom for far off lighthouses and wildlife I never want to get close to!
    Valerie

Imagine the possibilities...and Happy, Happy, Happy!
    PSE12

I've got the Nikon D600, a full frame sensor but still in a smallish body. I LOVE it! I loved the D80 I had before but this is just in a different league . I chose Nikon just because it felt more comfortable in my hands than Canon. I love my 24-70mm f/2.8 lens the best although the weight gets a bit tiresome. I tend to use my 28-300 lens (although most people poo-hoo it as inferior) quite a bit too just for keeping up with the kids and their sports, and for travel when you don't want to change lenses (just as heavy though).

I use my iPhone 4S very much as 'the camera I always have with me'.

But my new love is my mirrorless Fujifilm X-E1!!! It has stunning photo quality, it has a gorgeous retro look, it's small, lightweight, and discrete, it's just gorgeous! I decided on this one after doing my week long photography trip to Mexico in November with David duChemin. He and most of the other participants had a 4/3 mirrorless of one kind or another - Fuji, Sony, Olympus - and was able to make my choice based on checking them all out. The barrage of this new camera type almost coming on the market every week had me overwhelmed so it was good to talk to others. Although they all loved their mirrorless cameras, most who use their cameras professionally said they still needed their dslr for that part of their work.
    I see a use for both systems in my life, but at the moment my Nikon gear is feeling rather left out .
    Donna

My Gallery

NIKON D600, 24-70mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, Macro 105mm 2.8, 28-300mm & FUJIFILM X-E1
    PSE 10, LR 4
    iMac & MBPro / Mavericks

I've been a Nikon girl since I was 15 and my dad gave me my first camera. I shoot with a D700 now and my 24-70 lens is my favorite. But my iPhone is always with me and easier to tote around so I do shoot quite a bit with that too!
    Katie - owner of DesignerDigitals
    Find Me on Facebook
    My Blog : Documenting + Designing

Camera: Nikon D700 with Speedlight SB-600
    Lenses: 16-35mm F4, 24-70mm F2.8, 70-200mm F2.8
    Software: Adobe PSE3 and CS3, Illustrator CS3
    computer platform: Mac

Such a great thread, Myra!

I bought a Canon 5D mkII right after the mkIII came out, I had been wanting it for ages, and was just waiting for the price drop

I shoot mainly with primes - I have a Sigma 50mm f/1.4 that I adore, but that I used more on my 40D body as it's a great zoom lens on that body. Now I use my Canon L 100mm macro for close up shots and the 50mm for everyday shots. I also have a 70-200 f/2.8 IS lens that I love to use on the 200 for portraits with blurry backgrounds, but it's very heavy for everyday use, and I have gotten used to zooming with my legs and use the prime instead.

Can I add the lens lust too? I'm eyeing the 85mm f/1.2 or the Sigma f/1.4 to get the same crop as I used to get with the 50 on the 40D body... And I would love to upgrade to the Canon L 24-70, although that probably won't happen in the next 10 years
    -anx -

My Gallery
    My toys: Canon 5D mkII, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Canon 100 mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 50 mm f/1.4, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8
    iMac with Lightroom 5, Adobe CS6 Design Premium

My main camera is actually my P&S, a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ40. It is ALWAYS in my bag and the one I use almost every day! Even more often than my iPhone...
    It's my third Lumix in this series and I've loved every single one of them! One broke when my husband literally dropped it and then stepped on it... And I gave the second one away so that I could get the newer model...

I also shoot with a Canon 50D. I use a variety of lenses depending on the occasion. For traveling, I usually have a 28-300mm lens on all the time. My f2.8 70-200mm is mostly used for concert photography and my "nifty fifty" and a 100mm macro is mostly used in my garden and for weddings... But I am definitely in that group with people pining for a Mark III! And I gave my husband my old Rebel Xsi to use for taking quick product pics for our webshop.
    Thess

My DD Gallery

A Holy Mess - My blog on life, digiscrapping and genealogy

My Cameras: Canon 50D and Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ40

love this thread. I have to represent for Canon a bit as I see a lot of Nikon users :-)

My camera is the 50 D (I think it is going toward the end of its life cycle) which I got in 2009 and have loved. My lenses are: Canon 35mm 1.4, 24-105L F4, 100-400L F4, 60mm macro and a Sigma Fisheye. I love them all and use them for different reasons!

My next camera though I'm really wanting to go full frame - would love to hear from people that did that as I am concerend about loosing reach as I will no longer have the 1.6 crop factor.

Simone
    Simone aka westchesterscrapper@gmail.com

My Camera: Canon 50D
    My Lenses: Canon 35mm, 60mm, 24-105, 70-200 & 100-400 plus Sigma fisheye
    My software: Photoshop CS6

Simone I went to a full frame and it is awesome. BUT I needed to replace my lenses so it was an expensive exercise. That's with Nikon so I don't know what the story is with Canon. And the crop factor was an issue so either you have to 'suck it up', get bigger, heavier, more expensive lenses, or as I've been told the quality with full frame and good lenses means you can crop more on the computer without so much loss of quality.
    Donna

My Gallery

PSE 10, LR 4
    iMac & MBPro / Mavericks

The cropped sensors look as though you are zoomed in further, but you have less pixels than the equivalent full frame sensor. It is as though your image is pre-"cropped". So if you tool the same shot on a full frame, you have the choice of cropping in photoshop to give the effect of zooming in, or keeping the full image.
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

Quote Originally Posted by esther_a View Post
    The cropped sensors look as though you are zoomed in further, but you have less pixels than the equivalent full frame sensor. It is as though your image is pre-"cropped". So if you tool the same shot on a full frame, you have the choice of cropping in photoshop to give the effect of zooming in, or keeping the full image.
    That's what I was trying to say .
    Donna

My Gallery

PSE 10, LR 4
    iMac & MBPro / Mavericks