Thread: relating product used

relating product used

In pse 11 which I am currently using,I am able to access a list of products used in the area above the workspace. This is most helpful when using the product link sheet but unless I am not seeing it,I am not able to see a list of B&S that have been used. I always forget to write them down... then when I try to list products used on a project, I am stuck. I looked in history but again,it lists everything but brushes. Is there an easy way?

I use PSE also and when I drag an element up from the bin it automatically names the layer for me with the name of the product. When I use brushes it does not do this. This is why I like to use the pngs so that I can drag them up onto my page and have the layer named for me. :O)

If you have the brush loaded you can see the name in the brush dropdown menu.
    ~Kelly

I use CS5 and I rename all my layers as I bring them. Not sure if there is an easier way, but I've always just renamed the layers myself.
    wendy
    Along for the Ride

camera: canon rebel XTI
    software: photoshop cs5

I know that in PS my objects come in as smart objects...the file name stays attached in the layers. I drag them over from ACDSee. But when I use the open feature, they don't attach the file name. they just say "Layer ##"

Good luck!
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

Quote Originally Posted by wendymck View Post
    I use CS5 and I rename all my layers as I bring them. Not sure if there is an easier way, but I've always just renamed the layers myself.
    Try dragging and dropping! This should save you a tone of time!! (see my post above or shoot me a message)

I use Photoshop and don't use ACDSee but the layers will be named if you use File>Place to search. I don't do this on every layer, so when I don't I rename them as I go.
    Amy

my gallery

My stuff: Nikon D700; Nikkor f2.8 24-70mm, f2.8 105mm, and f1.4 50 mm lenses; Tamron f2.8 70-200; Photoshop CC, Lightroom, iMac, MacBook

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

I think I will try to develop the habit of re-naming as I go.... thanks for the input ladies!!

I agree, that one of the best habits you can get into is renaming layers. It saves a lot of work at the end.
    Sarah

My Gear: very old Canon EOS XS
    Software: Photoshop, Lightroom CC, ACDSee16

I do the drag and drop method too... works like a charm

My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3

Instagram

Embarrased to say that it took me YEARS to figure out that you could drag and drop and have the layers rename automatically in CS5. I'm in such a habit of renaming that I often rename them as I go. We are creatures of habit aren't we?!
    Bailey

My Gallery

My Blog

Software/stuff: PS CS3, Lightroom 2, Wacom Intuos3
    Camera: Nikon D300s & backup d40x, 55-200 4.5vr, 50mm 1.4G

If you don't have ACDSee you can always drag and drop from windows explorer!

I'm with Kelly, this is one of the reasons that I prefer to use the .png version of brushes/stamps instead of the .abr. There are some additional artsy things you can do with .abrs, but for my purposes, the .pngs work great and avoid this issue.
    Connie

Embarrased to say that it took me YEARS to figure out that you could drag and drop and have the layers rename automatically in CS5.
    Bailey?! Please explain?! I didn't know that! How embarassed should I be, then?!!
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

14. Can someone PLEASE explain to me how to drag and drop from ACDSEE? (I feel so silly but can't figure it out!) I recently moved from PSE 9 to CC and have not figured out how to get the layers to keep the name and I miss it tremendously.

In PS (I guess Cloud would be the same) you can drag the item directly onto your page instead of into PS and it will rename the layer for you. The only drawback is that it will be a smart object and you have to right click and rasterize the layer
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

16. I guess the problem is how I am used to working with acdsee. I have PS set as my external editor. I highlight the object I want to use and hit cntrl alt x and ut moves to PS. Then I slide it to my layout. And it loses the file name.

That's what happens to me, whether I use ACDSee or not. I think it's just the way the later versions of PS work. If Bailey's found a work around I'd love to know!
    I do know that if you use File -> Automate -> Load Files into Stack you can select multiple images and they all end up as named layers in one file. That's very handy for alphas.
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4

This is amazing ..... lol,isn't it a miracle when you ask a question and get the greatest answers... I am trying all the suggestions to see which one is the best fit for me!!! Love what the community of DD can help you with!!

instead of highlighting the items, try to just drag them with your mouse onto your page. It works like a charm for me
    Anke

My gear:
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

So those of you who are dragging them onto your page using DS5/6/CC - are you working with them as smart objects?

Just a caveat.

There are also products in the store whose file name does not reflect the folder name. I often have to go back to LR to get that name as the file name is rather vague.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

Here is how I drag and drop...
    I will have ACDSee and Photoshop open. I will find what I want to use in ACDSee and then I click AND HOLD that item and drag it down to my menu bar where photoshop is. Without letting go, I wait until photoshop pops open on my screen and then drop it on the page! If you drop it as an object by itself (not in the document you are working on) it will not attach the info, and wont be a smart object.

With these smart objects, if you want to edit them in any way, you MUST rastersize it!!

HTH!

**keep in mind I work on a PC, not sure if this makes a difference or not for Mac users

You can't really do anything with them, just right click and rasterize the layer, it's simple

Quote Originally Posted by esther_a View Post
    So those of you who are dragging them onto your page using DS5/6/CC - are you working with them as smart objects?
    Anke

My gear:
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

Oh! The rasterize step was what I was missing! Thanks!! I kept getting smart objects which I really don't have my head around so I just deleted them!

25. Thanks so much! I never would have figured that out.